Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Good Day! Hard Day!

 Today, we took my new laptop to Office Max or Depot in Cullman to get everything transferred from old to new. He was not sure he could get it done in the over 4 hours before he went home at 2 pm. I felt nervous when we dropped it off and forced myself not to call and see how he was doing. 

We did a lot in four hours. 

went to bank and cashed a $5 refund check

went to cash in aluminum cans as we got off the interstate--$6

Dropped off bag of small Coke bottles and a friend will put them in her recycling

dropped off small bag of soup/tuna cans for a friend to give to mutual friend

went to PO

sat in my driveway for about three minutes to look at my daffodils on retaining wall, by mail box and in a swath in the backyard--a host of golden daffodils (Wordsworth)

in Publix bought a banana, bowl of watermelon to eat in car, went to bathroom, looked for keto bread

bought gas for $2.93

ate lunch at Chicken Salad Chick

went to Lowe's

I started thinking about how we had money for Chicken Salad Chick. I had to convince him. I reasoned to him--the $5 is free money, the $6 is free money. I have $3 in my purse from a refund at Publix, and the charge was on your card. If we take this $14 and spend it at Chicken Salad Chick, it won't cost much to eat this time. So, he was convinced. 

Really, he wanted money in his wallet. He sounded pitiful about never having cash. So, I told him to keep the cash until I needed it and put it on cc. That is not really good logic, but it worked...lol. 

At CSC he ordered Fruity Fran and chicken and dumplings. I ordered Classic Carol and loaded baked potato soup. We ate in the parking lot at the park nearby. My scoop did not seem right. Well, I had been given Chic Cranberry Kelli. Not happy. 

At lowe's, I realized they had bedding plants. The woman working at Lowe's took a Romaine 6-pack and Tommy's credit card, and bought it and brought it to the car. When we got home, Tommy brought them in. I know he did not mistreat them. However, many of the stems were completely broken! I am annoyed. We may just have to eat the tiny leaves and then plant the broken ones and hope we do get more Romaine. I know the wind was whipping the leaves and the wind had gusts of 38 mph today in Cullman. So, maybe the wind broke off the Romaine. 

I am going to plant two or three plants in one pots. We have to get busy. I have pots and I have soil. So, we can at least get these out and on the porch, but not in this wind. 

My feet were so swollen when we got home that I could barely walk. I needed to take a nap, but did not.

Dinner was already made: chicken breast, potatoes, carrots. I had the rest of the slaw. Tommy had a salad with Romaine, grape tomatoes, carrots sticks I cut, zucchini rounds. It was huge and colorful. 

When I wanted to get out my computer as soon as we got home, I could not get it online. I knew I was doing it right. Well, the internet was down! I will sell the old laptop. So, now it is up and running.  It is much faster than the old one. It took about 30 minutes to get to a blog or email. 

When I dropped it off, I warned him the noise it emitted might drive the whole store crazy. When I picked it up, I asked him if the noise was too loud. He said it was loud and he hated it . 

Today, the high was 83F. This would be an ideal high year-round. The wind was so high that at one point, my hair swirled around my head, over my face, and in my eyes.  We went to the Festhalle to empty the trash. We had it in a styrofoam food container that we wanted to wash and recyle. Tommy took it and dumped it out his window right into a trash barrel less than a foot from the car. As he dumped it, every bit of trash flew out and away from the barrel. It was faster than either of us could move even in our younger days! We both were aghast and felt ashamed, but we could not reach it even if we had tried. 

At least, we are recycling the styrofoam. And, I think the pickel spears did go into the trash barrel. Tomorrow is the day we will take the styrofoam, mostly egg cartons to Publix to recycle. We took in two huge bags of papers last week. Taking it all at once is too much. 

Is it always a wonderful thing to get a new laptop that actually works? 

Was it windy in your neck of the woods? 


16 comments:

  1. We had 40 - 50 mph wind gusts yesterday with 30 mph sustained winds. Warm - but windy and rain.
    A new computer is always nice.
    I have always heard that Styrofoam cannot be recycled nor can it break down in any way. I do all I can to stay away from anything Styrofoam. Restaurants around here do not use any longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      Those are strong winds! We were having trouble with the car door trying to smash us.
      Five seconds versus thirty minutes for opening it is always nice.
      I suppose restaurants here will be the last to quit using styrofoam.I've always heard that it cannot be recycled, too. I suppose now they can.

      Delete
  2. It’s been windy lately here too. I’ve not eaten at that chicken place although we have one here. Is it good? Glad you got a bunch of errands done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      Wednesday night, I kept asking Tommy about the wind forecast for Thursday. That is how concerned I am about the wind now!
      CSC is delicious. I could eat there every day! It is between $9 ND $10.
      Last night, I remembered one other thing we could have done! But, I was pleased we did so much.

      Delete
  3. You and Tommy sure got a lot done!
    Your daffodils sound beautiful! Wish you'd post a picture for us...

    Not for the first time I am wishing I had Chicken Salad Chick near me. DH would love the Fruity Fran, and I would love the Cranberry Kelli. Except I would rather have pecans or walnuts than almonds.

    That reminds me that I need to whip up a batch of chicken salad from a bag of Perdue breast strips. I think I'll make it cranberry-walnut style. But I will put plenty of onions in mine. I can't believe that CSC only has ONE salad with onions--they should be in everything! LOL. Red onions are best, then green onions, then Vidalia. I do love red onions in any salad.

    I got my first laptop 2 years ago, and all I use it for is to power my huge monitor at my desk. So I don't use my laptop as a laptop. I prefer a big screen with lots of "real estate" as they used to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my daffodils! I will figure out how to put pictures up one day. Occasionally I do by sending them to email and then posting them.

      Well, I did not want almonds at all. If I were allergic to almonds, I guess I would have been in trouble. I am shocked Tommy wants fruit in his chicken salad! He will not eat fruit in a green salad.

      It depends on what I am making as to which type of onion I prefer, but I love green onions. Of all the round onions, Vidalia is my favorite.

      I want a 32" tv screen as my monitor and use a keyboard on my lap.

      Delete
  4. SO nice that you got a new computer. I love daffodils, but we are a long way from flowers here. It is cold and a little bit of snow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      Every morning, it took 30 minutes to get it to the point I could read anything and the screeching was just intolerable. I love it. I would have to wait for flowers.

      Delete
  5. Was it windy? Oh, my. We had some very strong winds, which knocked out power on Tuesday night. Today it's calm, clear, and mid 30's which is unusally cold for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg,
      Oh, no! I hate for the power to go out. I hope it is back on now. cold is not good, but a better problem than a power outage.

      Delete
    2. I have a stand-by generator. When we lose power, I can still use everything except my oven, washer and dryer, and part of our heat pump--it switches to auxiliary, which uses a lot of energy and very expensive, so we keep it turned off, and use the woodstove for heat. My cooktop is gas, though, so I can use that if I use a lighter to ignite.

      Delete
    3. Meg,
      I wish we had a standby generator! I would be happy to have refrigerator and freezer and some heat of any kind on a generator. If the microwave and crockpot were on, the stove might not be so important. I wish we had a gas stove top. His water heater is gas, so we always have hot water, at least.

      Delete
  6. How exciting. I love new technology, especially when it works better and faster than what you had before.

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sean,
      The cpu fan was going and there was no battery life to speak of. No telling what else was wrong. It is lovely! Works like a dream.

      Delete
  7. What brand laptop did you purchase?

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...