Thursday, February 16, 2023

No Tornadoes Today

For the last 24 hours we have heard and seen dire tornado watches on tv, complete with tornado warnings, instructions on what to do and warnings for people who live in mobile homes. Everything was cancelled by 8 pm. So, a few flood warnings remain. And, that is all there is. I am grateful nothing much happened. But, they sure know how to raise the tension we feel for ourselves and others. 

Losing electricity is the thing I fear. I don't want to lose a freezer full of food, mostly meat. A tree at the back of his house is tall, rotten and close to the house. It's spooky. It would hit my room but not Tommy in the living room. 

On Valentines Day, the fierce wind blew my tulip off the table and onto the porch. The pink paper wrapped around the pot blew away and out of sight. Tommy swept the dirt off the porch. The wind was higher before the bad weather blew in than after. 

Schools were out at 1 pm, so mothers and their children were all over Publix, buying their tornado groceries. Kids let out at the road to this subdivision were all carrying laptops in cases. I do wonder if they go home and spend the rest of the school day studying like they are supposed to do. lol

Today, I have done nothing. Okay, I did bring in one box to be disposed of on trash day. I took a nap from 6 pm to 7:30 pm. 

Dinner: Tommy had the ham and potatoes with a large salad. I had the chicken, rice and broccoli with a large salad. Leftovers are a lifesaver. I think there may be enough of the chicken and broccoli for another meal with a salad. we both had pineberries which last longer than strawberries. 

Have you ever been in a tornado? Twice, the other end of the block had major destruction and my house lost roofing.

15 comments:

  1. We have had tremendous wind this week. One day we had 60 mph gusts - then yesterday was just a crazy windy and rainy day.
    Twice in years past, tornadoes went just past my street. My neighborhood was spared any major damage - but the same could not be said for homes just blocks away.
    I had to have a new roof and all new siding after a wind and hail storm one year. The hail did so much damage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      The wind has been terrific this week, rainy, too. A close call is still scary. We had a hail storm that destroyed so many cars and roofs in my town. The Burger King had hail come through the ceiling of the dining room. Some of it was 5" in diameter.

      Delete
  2. Yes, as a child, went through our yard but didn't do much damage. Destroyed the trailer court. About 10 yrs before that one the neighbor pulled my brother through their window as a tornado came rolling through between us. As an Adult I made sure we had a tornado closet or basement

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      They can be scary. I am glad your brother made it. A place to retreat is certainly best.

      Delete
  3. I've only been in a tornado once, in Minnesota when I was a kid visiting relatives with my grandma....who lets kids sleep out in a camper trailer during a tornado?!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      My goodness. It is a wonder you did not blow away. I am glad you made it.

      Delete
  4. I know that change is very hard for Tommy, but I'm thinking that your next project might be to get him to pay for that rotten tree to be removed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When leaves emerge and limbs are rotten, I will tackle it then. I have tried, but I think bare limbs will make a better background for my voice.

      Delete
  5. I’m glad you all are safe and sound from the storms. I tried to get out today but have a huge tree down in the driveway and I’m waiting for someone to come cut it up for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      I am glad the tree is just in the driveway and not on the house or the electric wires. Maybe the tree cutters will come soon.

      Delete
  6. When I was young and lived in the Midwest these were a regular threat. I have never been in one. Now I am wiser I don't want to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a child we had tornados all the time, it seemed. I can remember being wakened more than once and led to the basement for a couple hours until my parents knew all was clear. They assured us we were safe in the basement, so it never ocurred to us to be scared.

    We had tornado drills all the time at school. They just consisted of us huddling under our desks. Hah--fat lot of good that would have done us! As I remember back, the teachers didn't even open the windows to prevent the pressure from building up and the glass exploding. And they should have had us huddle against the cement block walls that ran perpendicular to the windows, not under metal desks that could crush us. Sheesh. People sure were stupid back then.

    Everyone back home thinks it's so frightening that I have to deal with hurricanes. Well, you get so darn much advance notice you have plenty of time to secure yourself. Plus I am far enough inland that we rarely get anything but peripheral force. Also, we have a basement and a generator, thankfully.

    I'll take a hurricane over a tornado any day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've not been in a tornado, it must be frightening.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      Running and hiding, waiting with my heart beating out of my chest was frightening.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...