Wednesday, February 15, 2023

When Was He Going To Tell Me?

Today, we had to get a prescription I must take. That is the only reason we left the house. I had plenty left but wanted to pick it up promptly. Tomorrow will be stormy, so I was afraid the pharmacy would blow away with my meds.

I had taken this nasty prescription beforehand, and every movement of the car sent my stomach into flip flops. I did survive but had to rush into the house. 

Today, I decided I would make something new with potatoes, ham, onions, cheese, and zucchini. It was in casserole form, sort off like potatoes au gratin. Tommy seemed to think we needed to start at 4 pm. At 6 pm, I said I was going to bed for an hour, to wake me. Well, he went to sleep in his chair. 

He had already peeled the potatoes but needed to wash zucchini and bring them to my chair. Sooo, I had to wait on that. I chopped the potatoes in dices and the ham similarly. He made the white sauce. I am a very good teacher. I forgot the cheese and onions for the casserole! 

This casserole evolved when I decided instead of cooking zucchini separately, I would just put the zucchini, so I would just have one dish.

It was still delicious. Tomorrow, I will sauté onions and put it in the last portion for Tommy along with cheese. I will eat some of the chicken/rice/cheese casserole.

Tommy did not like cheese in the chicken casserole. He said he does not like cheese with chicken. I never knew that. He does like it with ham. It is about time he told me. I am not that into casseroles, and we have had them two nights in a row. What gives? I love cheese on my chicken sandwiches. 

About 8 pm, I felt less icky and quit hurting all over. Of course, it is almost midnight and now I have to take another. At least I won't feel miserable during the night. I planned it that way. 

Down the street there is a beautiful tree thick with small white flowers, about 3" across. It looks like a tulip tree but white. The tree shape is unusual because a bigger tree was being cut and fell on the flowering tree. So, it is hard to tell what it might be, at least for me. I have not gotten out of the car to see the exact flower shape or see if it has a scent. 

Have you ever had someone wait a very long time to tell you that the someone did not like a certain food or combination? I knew he hated eggs or boiled eggs in anything where he could see them. And, he will not touch a banana. But, no cheese near chicken? At least I know.

12 comments:

  1. I am not a fish eater, but my husband is. For many, many years I would make him a piece of salmon - not sure why - because you could buy one salmon steak? After we had been married about 20 years he said "salmon isn't my favorite...". Now thirty years later, he really likes it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hubby and I like to make pizza at home. While we were dating and the first few years (YEARS!) of marriage, we always had black olives on the pizza. One day I mentioned that we didn't have to make a special trip to get black olives since we didn't have any on hand. I was trying to get out of the habit of putting them on there. He said, "Oh, good, I don't like them anyway." I said, "I don't like them either!" So we concluded that we each thought the other person liked them and just continued having them on there to satisfy the other person.

    Back when I ate biscuits/bread, I never liked cheese on my breakfast sandwich. Something about that combination of egg, cheese, and biscuit that I just couldn't handle. But now, I almost always put cheese in an omelette.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      Oh, my goodness! That was really nice of both of you. But, a little food talk could have saved your both eating black olives for so many years. That was sweet.

      I never get a breakfast sandwich because I only eat eggs I have cooked. But, I will put cheese in my scrambled eggs. Tastes of people are funny and can change over time. Tommy changes his mind sometimes.

      Delete
  3. my kids every once in awhile will mentioned they didn't like something I cooked, I asked why they didn't say anything and they said they were just grateful I did cook . Hubby on the other hand will tell me midmeal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is funny. But, the midmeal comments, even polite disagreement about food are not my favorite things to hear.

      Delete
    2. I refused to allow any negative midmeal comments. We had a strict, "eat what you want, leave what you don't want" policy. Eating dinner had no bearing on having dessert either. I would notice if a kid ate little at a meal, and ask if it was because he didn't like it, or was feeling poorly, and might even offer a snack. HOWEVER, any negative editorial comments unsolicited by the cook were treated harshly, earning the offender swift removal from the table, and a trip straight to bed. As they got older, it earned them the task of preparing the next night's meal. There's plenty of time before and after the meal to discuss food choices, and we certainly tried to solicit suggestions and accommodate preferences. I think, in light of that, I would be quite annoyed if a family member failed to mention a distaste for a commonly served item.

      Delete
    3. Meg,
      That seems to be a good policy. I ate English peas until I was eight and hated them. Finally, I told Mama I did not like them and was never going to eat them again. I told her this in a whisper so the four younger would not hear me and quit eating them, too. It turns out I am allergic to English peas!

      Delete
    4. That is very true. I do NOT want to hear in the middle of a meal that you don't like what I cooked. Tell me later, fine. But to tell me during the meal somehow implies that I've failed and you are suffering as a result. DH recently complained about some roasted zucchini mid-forkful. So if it's that bad why are you still shoveling it in? Gah!

      Delete
    5. Sue,
      I lose my happiness when I hear it midmeal. Mid forkful? No, just don't do that!

      Delete
  4. I suppose better late than never?

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...