Thursday, April 27, 2023

Best Ever

 

I bought the first reacher/grabber at Harbor Freight for $1. It was worth about that much. I gave one to Tommy and kept one. This was probably six or seven years ago. Tommy broke his right off the bat trying to pick up a can. So, I gave him mine. He broke it, too. 

In his defense, the part that actually touches the item being picked up was just a thin piece of plastic. Tommy declared the Harbor Freight grabber was only useful for picking up a piece of paper. It was the first ever reacher I had seen and only a dollar. So, lesson learned. 

Then, I bought a two-pack that folded in the middle. That one broke in the middle, both of them. Actually, they were used for items too heavy. I did try to catch the handle on my purse and pull it toward me. I ruined one, Tommy about four, but he does use it more and for things on the floor as he stands. 

Then, I found the two above from RMS--Royal Medical Solutions, Inc. I ordered it from Amazon at about $45. We have only had it for a month or so. We have had no chance to ruin it, break it with overuse. But, neither has a way to fold it, hence no weak spot where it folds.

The shorter one is great for when I just want to get something off the floor while I sit in my chair. When I used the longer one, I had my hand hiked up above my head and was holding it with my hand that high--very inconvenient. 

I get nothing for this recommendation. I bought it on Amazon, but cannot use Amazon unless I make a new password each time I log in. So, tomorrow, I will find out why when I call Amazon. 

Dinner: baked chicken, thigh for Tommy, breast for me; baked carrots, potatoes, onions; mustard greens. 

Do you use a reacher/grabber or know someone who does? Has anyone ever used this brand of reacher? Have you broken a reacher? Or four? Have you had good or bad luck with a particular reacher? Ever tried this one? 




10 comments:

  1. M hubs had one in about every room and the garage. I still have them and use for something way up high now and then. Have never had one break. Got them at the drugstore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My goal is to have one of this brand in every room. Otherwise, Tommy has to come back to his chair to get one to use in other rooms. Tommy has kitchen cabinets that go to the ceiling. Even a stool is not enough to reach them. So, I put very light things in a plastic bag to store up there, like lids he refuses to toss. They are a good thing to have around the house.

      Delete
  2. I have 2 . One is better for papers etc. I got it with my hip replacement "kit" and the other Hubby and Son bought for me for can goods. I think they were tired of my climbing on stuff. I need to replace that one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      Do you know the brand that works on canned goods? That is what Tommy needs for getting cans off shelves or off the floor. He cannot climb and I should not.

      Delete
  3. I have a long one that was bought at a hardware store to use to pick up fallen twigs under a tree. I brought it inside to use. I have a short one that someone gave to me as a cast off. It works well. Neither has broken and they're old now. I haven't used them for anything challenging, tho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole,
      Yeah, challenging items are the problem here!

      Delete
  4. I'm short, so yes, I use a grabber, and have for decades. As a kid, I made one out of a wire hanger. For years I used ones the kids would get at an arcade...plastic, and I think shaped like a crab. They would break only when someone would step on them. I don't know what brand I have now, but it's a medical quality one. It's standing up against the wall in the pantry. Other than the arcade ones, I've never had one break. I have tall cabinets too, but nothing goes on the top shelf. I even refuse to store, say, a casserole dish with a lid on anything higher than the first shelf. DH once, back in our dating days, griped about having to remember to put things only a certain level up, after he had put my laundry detergent on the top shelf of the cabinet above the washing machine. He had just left, and when I noticed, I ran outside, and beckoned him to come back inside and get it down for me. When he started griping, well, let's just say he didn't like the response, which was "then stay the #*%* out of my house." We haven't had any problems since then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg,
      I am much taller than my mother and was the oldest, so I was designated "grabber" and "reacher" for my mother. Until now, I was supple and could stretch. Now, not so much. So, I use a reacher.
      Heavy and breakable things go only on the first shelf here, too.
      I wondered why a child would want a grabber from an arcade until I realized the crab grabber was the draw.
      Your response to your husband is priceless. You knew how to solve that problem.

      Delete
  5. I bought an Ettore 49036 36" Grip' N Grab from Amazon years ago. It hasn't broken and works very well to retrieve items from higher shelves or grab stuff from the back of deep cabinets or from under things. Basically, I use it when my arms aren't long enough!

    When an unreachable item also requires two hands, I get out my foldable 3-step mini ladder. Because I can still climb, but the ladder is safer than a chair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Thanks for the info. I need one of those mini-ladders, but figure I will fall.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...