Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Flowers

 

                                                                          fuschia


                                                                    lemon slice calibrachoa


                                             superbells pink lemonade calibrachoa hybrid

The strange little flower at the top, the fuschia is in a 10" hanging basket. It is a strange plant that I am hoping the hummingbirds like. There are many of these flowers, but from distance it's not very showy. You sort of have to be up close.

The second two, the calibrachoa, are supposed to tolerate heat well. That is what we need out front. Both of those are in very small pots, maybe four inches.

Tommy would not even look at plants I drove to the car, and he yelled at me to buy what I want. I was so tempted to fill up cart with flowers! 

The best of all is something Tommy found. He came in and told me one of the plants overwintered and never watered had blooms all over. "The tall stems" he said. There was one stored plant that turned a translucent white, tall, round stems. Well, my plant never died, even without water! In one day, it started turning a pale green, getting darker each day. Now, I have about 30 blossoms on my Stella D' Oro! I am beyond thrilled.

My favorite color for flowers is pink, but pink needs some yellow to show it off to its best advantage. Well, that is my opinion. And, white brightens the pink. 

" 'Stella d'Oro' has all the traditional merits of other hybrid daylilies, plus a few more. It has the classic colorful trumpet-shaped flowers that individually last only one day; but rather than the normal one- to three- week bloom period typical to other daylily varieties, Stella d'Oro can potentially bloom from early May into September and October. This, combined with an unusually vigorous growth habit and very little maintenance makes Stella d'Oro the most popular cultivar in the most popular genus of all perennial garden flowers.

Stella d'Oro produces golden-yellow flowers with arching strap-like foliage that you often see planted en masse around office buildings and retail businesses, which is one reason it has now developed a reputation for being somewhat tired and overused. But when used selectively, Stella d'Oro still has a role in almost any garden design."

Today, I went to the oncologist ob/gyn. We went to Lowe's afterwards. I had lots of plans and ambitions on the way home. Then, I sat down in my soft chair. 

I wish I had more of the pink lemonade and lemon slice calibrachoa because these are small and not showy enough. But, they were $6 each, so that would have been too much to spend. They are also small, so it would take two or three more to put into a pot. 

Since we watched the news, we did not cook. I had meatloaf planned. But, he had turkey, a bit of green beans and a salad. I had Hormel's Roast Beef and Gravy, Romaine, and a whole can of green beans, minus two tiny spoonsful that Tommy ate. I picked up the Romaine leaf and bit off it. I was in a hurry to watch the Carol Burnett special--Carol Burnett: Laughter and Love. I actually remember many of those skits and costumes. 

Now, I need to fold the kitchen linens. Did you watch the special? What have you done today? What do you plan for tomorrow? What is your favorite color flower? Favorite flower?


19 comments:

  1. I have the Stella d-Oro - have been planted for years in the perennial bed. I can't ever remember watering it. It is very hardy. Such a lovely flower.
    Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      I wondered it it would come back next year, too. Hardy is what I need around here, especially in the heat.

      Delete
  2. The humming birds went nuts with my fuchsia last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      Thanks for that. I saw it and it looked perfect for them.

      Delete
  3. My favorite flower is the heavenly blue morning glory, but they will not grow out here, no matter how hard I try. I have a shady bed by the house, between the patio and the house. I put in some hardy fuchsias, and the hummingbirds loved them. I'm not sure HOW hardy they were, however, as they've yet to even bud. As for Stella d'oro, well, I like ALL daylilies. They are trouble free, and thrive on neglect, so perfect for me. For annuals, which are easy to grow from seed in a sunny place, Cosmos are also one of our favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megm
      You can put the fuschias in the ground? I am watching mine to see when the hummingbirds come...lol. Daylilies are all pretty. I like things that thrive on neglect. I just had a seed packet of Cosmos in my hand, and maybe I will sow them.

      Delete
  4. The calibachoa are my favorite! They are also known as Million Bells. They make gorgeous hanging baskets for the front porch. I love the orange and variegated ones. Some years I opt for purple and yellow. There are just so many to choose from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      I believe the calibrachoa are going to be my favorite from now on as opposed to Wave Petunias since they take heat better and do not need deadheading.

      Delete
  5. I used to have a fuchsia bush that bloomed every year, the hummingbirds loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      Do you have it in a pot or in the ground? I will be glad when the hummingbirds find mine.

      Delete
    2. If it's the hardy fuchsia, and you can grow it in the ground in a shady spot here in the PNW. I don't think you could grow them in Alabama, as they don't like the heat. https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/fuchsia/hardy-fuchsia-care.htm

      Delete
    3. Meg,
      It says non-hardy below 32F. So, not sure, but I will check.

      Delete
    4. it was in the ground and every fall I'd prune it all the way down and it would return. It was a bush we had replanted from my grandparents yard many years ago. I was so sad to have to leave it behind. I think it's probably too cold to grow one where I live now

      Delete
    5. One,
      Thanks. Where did you live then? I never knew this flower existed until a few years ago.

      Delete
  6. The pictures (and flowers) are beautiful!

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fuschia are lovely, and yes, in warmer zones they are perennials. Mine are a bit more "poofy" than the picture you showed.
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/383157880788500768/

    I love the Million Bells; I think they are nicer than petunias!

    I am not crazy about the darker golden yellow of Stella D'oros. I have Lemon Lollipops instead, which are also rebloomers but have a brighter, more lemony color. They look very nice with my pink reblooming daylillies, "Rosy Returns."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too hot to keep flowers going here, alas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if million bells would live. They love the heat and sun. Supertunias also.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...