Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Out of Gas

 Monday a bit before 7 pm, we went to Walgreen's to pick up a prescription which did not happen. We left going along the little dark road behind the drugstore that leads to the road we need one block away. We could have gone the other way, but it is just as dark. 

At almost the top of the hill, the car stopped. I asked what happened. Tommy said he did not know and tried to start the car so many times until the battery was dead. I glanced at the gas gauge and the needle was flat on empty. But, he kept trying to start it until I finally made him stop.  I was furious because we have had this argument before. He likes to let the needle get into the red zone before filling up. No, I did not yell at him. He said he forgot. 

I tried calling my insurance company which is the same as his. No, they would not help us even though he has same insurance. Yes, I do know this was not even kosher. I have roadside service on my But, I was willing to ask out of desperation. He knows I keep the police department of Cullman and Hueytown programmed into my phone. So, I called and told them neither of us could walk for help and it was getting dark and I was afraid. A car came to stay with us. The very nice, young policewoman came and talked to us, then sat in her car. 

They gave me a tow truck company to call and get them to bring gas. So, I called and got an answering machine. I called again and a woman hung up on me. I called the police back, and they had the tow truck call me. They said it was $98 for a cc and $95 for cash plus the cost of the gasoline. 

The tow people were very nice and efficient. They jumped off the car since Tommy tried to start it until the battery was dead. I knew Tommy would want to go down the road to the cheapest station, so I asked them how far this would take us. They guy said to go to the station catty corner to where we were. We did. 

Well, we did get gas and Tommy got out and used our portable charger to start the car again since the across the street gas station was not far enough to build up a charge. 

While we were waiting for the gas, I tried to convince Tommy to get roadside service on his policy. He was adamant that he would not. I tried to point out that he bought some very expensive gasoline. He said that he had saved on the service for 50 years and had never had to buy gas brought to him by a tow truck. I tried to convince him that he could not walk far, he was vulnerable in his condition, all to no avail. 

My walker was still in my room since I am afraid my knee will give out again. He left his sitting in the yard as he often does when we only go to Walgreen's. We know my walker is in the car. Well, no walkers Monday night. He can use two canes to walk, but downhill would be treacherous. When we are out, I use his walker if mine is home, and he has used mine when he leaves his in the car. 

As we left the gas station, I said I wanted a Whopper. He said, okay. So, that was dinner when we finally got home at 8:30. I was exhausted from 1.5-hour ordeal. We did not yell at each other at all during this ordeal. He was stubborn in his money-saving technique. I told him he was lucky before, but older now and forgot to get gas! It is hopeless trying to convince him of some things! He will not take this $20/year extra precaution. 

There is no advice that I need, just bitching here. No advice, please. He is so smart and competent. But, he has these blocks.

Today, the cardiologist told me he thought that one leg was so swollen because of my weight. I was shocked. But, he did give me good news.

12 comments:

  1. Glad all turned out - that could have had a bad ending. Wrong place - wrong time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      Like I said yesterday, we could have been shot.

      Delete
  2. Oh my. You're right, that was a VERY expensive tank of gas. I don't know that my husbands truck has been below a half a tank of gas more than twice since we've been together. He fusses at me because I let mine get lower. He says that if I run out of gas, I'm on my own. LOL (I am 100% certain he would help me, but is making a point by saying this.) My SUV has a range on it and 'dings' when it's low. At that point, I have about 42 miles (or so it says) until empty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      I laughed because I am sure he would help you. I am not quite so determined to keep gas that high, but I never, almost never let it run out. I like the ding. I hope it dings continuously or more than once. Maybe this will make him more diligent.

      Delete
  3. I pay $101 per year for Triple AAA and it is worth every penny to me. I had to have them come out this week and put air in my tires as the temperature changes make them fluctuate, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      It is comforting to know that help is only a phone call away. My $20/yr insurance came out when my car was dead in Tommy's carport, so I was relieved. I have never had AAA.

      Delete
  4. He may think about your suggestion and do an about face. If he does, be tactful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole,
      I doubt it very seriously. If he does, I will just rejoice, nothing else.

      Delete
  5. OMG, the gas gauge is right in front of the driver's face. You can't avoid seeing it unless you're trying. He is a lying liar who lies when he claimed he "didn't know" why the car wasn't starting. He was just stalling for time because he didn't want to 'fess up to his foolishness. Smack yourself hard for being unable to own up to your own nonsense, Tommy! Running out of gas is stupid, but deliberately grinding down the battery is inexcusably destructive.

    Well, at least you got a Whopper out of it, Linda. I swear you have the patience of a saint...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I would know it was out of gas. He was probably buying time, hoping that it was not true! I told him three times to stop because he was running down the battery!
      The Whopper was good because I did not have the energy to even get a salad from the refrigerator. I sort of felt sorry for him because of his inattention to important things. This is nothing new.

      Delete
  6. Men can be so stubborn!

    I LOVED Whoppers. I miss them (can't eat them anymore since gluten is my kryptonite!)

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Breenlantern,
    So true! So, you admit it? lol
    I should not have them, either. But, these were cold. Imagine that?

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...