Sunday, April 23, 2023

I Could Have Been Shot

 About thirty years ago, I drove from my house in Alabama to my sister's house in Memphis. I was exhausted from the long drive. I was on autopilot, navigating the last portion of my journey through Memphis. I went to her door and gave two little taps before opening the door and stepping inside. I looked about and wondered about all the new furniture, not at all my sister's style. And, there were no birds, no cat, no dog. Then, as I moved further into the living room (ten feet), I could see a strange woman bent over a bed, making it. 

At that moment I remembered my sister had moved. I was in a stranger's house and very afraid. I backed away toward the door, hands up, apologizing and saying my sister used to live here. She advanced slowly and I hurried backward and got out of her home. 

I was shaken. Who knows if she had a gun at hand as my sister did back then. Who knows if there was a husband behind her or hearing all this in another room. I counted myself lucky not to have been shot.   35 years ago.

Many times, I have approached a white Malibu like I drove. I have tried to use my keys and one time actually did unlock the door. Some cars were open and I have opened the passenger door and driver door before noticing the car had different things inside. I have quickly sat in the car, confused. 

One time, I was standing by the driver door, fumbling in my purse for keys. A woman stood about ten feet and away and asked me what I was doing to her car. She seemed scary. I backed away mumbling I thought it was my car. She actually got into her car and followed me to see where I went--to a white Malibu just like hers. I could have been shot. 

These 2000 white Malibu were rental cars. I forget which company. They were all over the road, parking lots and very dependable vehicles. They lasted a long time. So, I was always confused. 2002 to 2018

It was late, not quite dark, when I turned into a driveway thinking it was the next road off the highway. Of course, when I drove a bit off the road, about twenty feet, I realized there was a long driveway and house, not a road. Immediately, a man came onto the porch, followed by another and then another. The first man demanded to know what I wanted. I told him I made a wrong turn and just needed to turn around to back out onto the highway. The way the men stood and the grim looks on their faces frightened me. They demanded to know my name and what street I was trying to find. Thankfully, I knew the name of the street. I was rattled after their aggressive behavior. I could have been shot.           10 years ago

With all that has been in the news this last week or so, I have been reminded of how frightened I was in the past doing similar things, all innocent. I think the world has become more threatening, scary, and violent.

Can you relate to similar actions you have taken, innocent as these people did? Have you gone to (or into like I did) the wrong place? Have you gotten into the wrong car? Have you turned into the wrong driveway or private drive? Did any of these things frighten you? Or, have you done anything similar and been threatened or felt threatened?



15 comments:

  1. Not me but one time my mother-in-law and her sister got into "her" car in Florida and sat there waiting for us - only to find out it was an identical car to her own and the owner had left the doors open. She did wonder why she couldn't get it started though. Then one time my mom was trying to get into "dad's" car when a man asked her what she was doing. My dad burst out laughing and told the man not to worry and that we were taking her back to the asylum next week (luckily we don't routinely carry firearms in the UK)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like your mil, sometimes it takes a bit for me to even realize it is my car. Hey, I would gladly be led off to an asylum rather than be shot. Here, you never know who is packing heat.

      Delete
  2. When my two youngest were 1 and 3, we took them to a Mr. Rogers show. When we came out, it was pouring! Hubby said to me that he would take the oldest and grab the car and for me and the little guy to wait under the awning. I watched for him in his little (very common) gray car. I saw him come around the corner and I got ready to make a dash for it.
    As he got close, I ipicked up the little one and made a dash for him. I opened the door and flung us onto the front seat. I turned to thank him and there, driving the car was a perfect stranger!
    The man turned to look at me and the only thing he said was, "My wife is not going to believe this!"
    Since she was standing right behind me, she did believe it and so did my husband, he was pretty used to me doing dumb things like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      I laughed so hard for at least ten minutes and I tried to make Tommy understand the words I was gasping through as I read. That is so funny! I was thinking that you are a kidnapper's dream come true. Still gasping and laughing.

      Delete
  3. Three men menacing a lone women for driving up their driveway? And they say Southerners are politest and friendliest... :^P

    I know it's all water under the bridge, but you really needed to put some kind of window stickers on your car so you could easily identify it. That, and do a better job of remembering where you parked your car!

    I have window stickers on my car so I can easily identify it. Also I use the lock function on the remote so I can hear the car beep and see the lights flashing.

    I have not been threatened. But I have also modified my behavior to help ward off threats. I now drive like a kitten.

    My biggest modification is that If someone is following too closely, I now pull over and let them pass me. I used to brake check the hell out of those assholes, but not any more. I cheer myself up by thinking that letting them pass might just help them drive straight to an early grave. :^) :^) :^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      We are territorial! Never forget that. However, if we are feeling copasetic, come right in, sit right down.
      If I cannot find my dirty car and try to get into a shiny car, a sticker won't help. Besides, I had a bumper sticker.
      I NEVER brake check anyone anymore! Other than that, I have never driven aggressively. And, the brake check was always a gentle tap, not a dangerous move that would make the other person wreck. My friend drove like that!

      Delete
    2. Well, now, to clarify--I never brake-checked to make THEM slam on their brakes! I agree that would be very dangerous. Sure, I was annoyed. But certainly not homicidal! LOL.

      It was only a warning tap. But if they needed it, they got more than one.

      Delete
    3. Sue,
      Yes, enough to make the brake light come on was all I gave them. I had a friend who brake checked so hard that a guy towing a huge boat ended up running off the interstate and into a field and a tree. It scared him so much that he said he never ever gave even a tap to his brakes.

      Delete
  4. I feel like I probably have attempted to open the wrong car but I can't actually remember.
    The one time I really felt I was in danger, I was about 19 and I was driving home from somewhere late at night. I got the sense that I was being followed so I drove around a bit extra and eventually went home. I parked on the drive and got out of the car and my cousin stepped out from behind a tree and spoke to me.
    I genuinely thought I would die until I realised who it was.
    He'd been in a friends car and asked the friend to follow me then when I hadn't gone straight home he got them to drop him off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kylie,
      That would have frightened me to death right on the spot. I hope he was not trying to scare you.

      Delete
    2. He wasn't trying to scare me, just didn't think about how it would feel to be me

      Delete
    3. kylie,
      That is good. I have had guys think it was funny to scare me like that, and it definitely is not.

      Delete
  5. Not exactly the same, but a little scary nonetheless. We went to the Smoky Mountains this past weekend and the couple we were with had car trouble. The brakes went out. We got an Uber to the hotel and the next morning rented an SUV. It was a company that will come get you. It was to be a white vehicle. We were standing outside the restaurant (across the street from the hotel) and a white vehicle drove up with one man in it. We started walking toward it as if to get it. As it turns out, it wasn't our ride at all! It could have been worse if I was alone or if it were just me and the lady. And if it had been someone nefarious who would have let people get in his vehicle. These things have happened. I carry my own weapon, though, so I'm rarely afraid at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      That could have turned out badly. I did go to a vehicle and started getting in the car, but when the guy just looked at me funny, I backed up to make sure it was the ride I was expecting. I am glad the brakes did not cause a worse problem. A gun would make me feel safer, for sure.

      Delete
    2. Alice,
      That could have turned out badly. I did go to a vehicle and started getting in the car, but when the guy just looked at me funny, I backed up to make sure it was the ride I was expecting. I am glad the brakes did not cause a worse problem. A gun would make me feel safer, for sure.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...