Saturday, April 22, 2023

Supertunia Another Nursery

 Once again, two days in a row, we got up early and left early to go to Cullman. We got the one chore done. 

Then, we tried Walgreen's there to see if I could get the pictures from my flip phone. The phone company told us to try ourselves. So, now, I am fit to be tied. There is an error message on my laptop. 

While I was in Publix, I finally found nine-volt batteries. I know they are more expensive than elsewhere, but it's done. We both put two batteries in each chair's battery compartment. Now, I won't be upset when there is storming. These batteries will only work for one lowering of the chair. Then we need a new set at $12 for two batteries. I will find these at a cheaper price. Oh, I also won't need to be hauled out of my chair by fireman each time we lose electricity. 

There is a huge nursery we visited, complete with lots of wagons to pull plants and a golf cart to take people around the immense grounds. The guy walked and got one plant I wanted, a supertunia. When I asked him to get the other I wanted, he said it all the way to the end. "Do you want me to walk all the way over there?" He was just a worker. I asked for someone to drive me to the other end, "over there." A guy came out, older, probably the owner and said it was too busy, to come back next weekend. I was furious, but just bought the one hanging basket. No, neither man knew I was unhappy. But, I wanted to give them both "what for."

So, I will call with my complaint. There are other nurseries in Birmingham. 

We saw a sign that said--FREE LUNCH

                                         PRAYER

Why not? So, we got lunch. Tommy had a hotdog. I had a hamburger. We had water. And, could think of nothing that needed prayer. I figured the guy would grab us and start a rant of a prayer. But, he said, "Just know Jesus loves you." Oh, he said there were cookies, but he did not bring us any. We did not need cookies, anyway. 

A soon as we arrived home, I went straight to my bedroom with a detour to the bathroom, put on my nightgown and got into bed. I slept three hours and feel better. 

The birds under the gutter are robins. Tommy could never see the bird that went to the nest, only a bit of the head. Now, we can see little baby beaks stretching upward for food. They are hungry little fledglings. I hope we can see them learning to fly. 

I am not cooking tonight. We are having a salad with meat in it. Good enough! Tommy made his salad, and now it is my turn. I do have chicken thighs I need to cook tomorrow. I know it may be silly, but I want some vegetable soup with beef in it. I would put chicken in the soup, but Tommy thinks that sounds gross, so beef it is. 

Saturday was hard but productive. The sun was so bright that it hurt my eyes on the interstate as it was shining on my side of the car driving north, then south.

Was your Saturday productive or pleasant with sun and flowers? What plants did you tend? Did you bake something delicious?



17 comments:

  1. Have you tried Amazon for the batteries? That's where we get all of ours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      I have not checked anywhere yet, but Amazon is one place I will check. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. You can buy rechargeable 9 volt batteries on amazon and the charger. This way if you get 4 you have 2 in the chairs and 2 charged and ready to go! I have a 4 pack and a charger for the few things I have a 9 volt battery for. I buy Amazon basic rechargeable batteries and have no issues. A bit of money in the beginning but lasts longer. Just a suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irene,
      That is a good idea. I will see what Tommy thinks. I had a battery charger once.

      Delete
  3. you couldn't think of anything to pray for? with all your health challenges?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh well. We were hungry and he seemed ready to get us on our way.

      Delete
  4. As I read this on Sunday I am preparing to make a bake pasta dish using a variety of peppers and ham

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those nursery workers were just too damn lazy for words. "Come back next week!" indeed. Oh, SO sorry you can't walk your own damn planting beds to sell me something I want! I would have told them to stuff that hanging basket where the shade plants won't grow.

    Your Lunch 'n' Prayer story is hilarious. Know that Jesus loves you, but his minions won't serve you any cookies, you sinner! LOL.

    Irene is right--a 9-volt battery charger and 4 reusable batteries will be PERFECT for keeping your chairs ready to perform in crisis.

    Don't bother asking Tommy for permission. You know he'll only veto it because it's a logical, practical, and less expensive way to solve the problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      They told me the golf cart was for people who needed it to shop, that they would be glad to drive me....last time I was there.
      I have no idea why we did not get cookies. I really wanted one, too. I suppose we had to ask.
      Earlier, I did ask Tommy what he thought and he said that was a good idea. LOL...surprised he was okay with it. Really, I just wondered what he thought about chargers, if he knew a reason we should not use that. But, I wonder what we do if we need a battery charged and the electricity is off. I suppose I need to have a supply of batteries, not just one set.
      Tommy has been irritable, so I am surprised he was agreeable about the batteries.

      Delete
    2. Okay, maybe 6 batteries so that you have a spare pair. I think the important thing is that you go the rechargeable route.

      If the electricity is out, your chair won't go into recline mode, so you won't need the 9-volt batter to get it back down. Or am I missing something?

      At any rate, you'd better check Tommy's temperature. He agreed with a practical and logical idea. He must be unwell. LOL!!!

      You probably didn't get a cookie because you didn't get all worked up about the prayer part. He might have noticed that you were more enthusiastic about the lunch than engaging in a protracted prayer session. Jesus loves everyone, but not enough to dole out cookies to the reluctant or ambivalent. Hahaha!

      Delete
    3. Sue,
      I am thinking of "what ifs." What if I get back down, the electricity comes back on and after a bit, I recline and again and the electricity goes back out. That happens. I suppose two extra sets would work. This chair takes two batteries. That means the cost of batteries would be exorbitant unless I do the rechargeable route.

      He does surprise me sometimes!

      Act eager to get a cookie? Okay, whatever it takes.

      Delete
  6. There is a restaurant that I have been to in Gatlinburg four times. The first three times, I ordered the same thing. They have both pork rinds and 'loaded' nachos on the menu. Since I do not eat chips, I have ordered the pork rinds loaded like nachos. It was delicious. Pulled pork, shredded cheese, jalapenos (on the side), sour cream.

    The fourth time we went, they said they couldn't do it. I thought the waiter just didn't know they would combine the two, so I asked for the manager. He came out and said, "I'm sorry, we're too busy to do that." My response was, "You are too busy to put food on a plate?" He still refused, so hungry as I was, I left. I won't be back.

    This past weekend, we went to another BBQ place in Pigeon Forge and they also had both items on the menu. I asked for it there, and they not only did it, but said they were going to put it on the menu and let me name it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      That is weird, foolish, counterproductive! By the time the waiter and manager walked back and forth, the job could have been done. And, they lost a customer. I will go to Lowe's and find the plant I want. Last October, this same place did not like taking pumpkins down from a high rack to show me. Who wants to buy a pumpkin when you can only see it from below? I now have fake pumpkins, so I never have to buy a pumpkin again. I can solve these problems, just never go back.

      Delete
    2. Bravo for putting that ridiculous manager in his place, Alice! So what are you going to name the dish at the Pigeon Forge place?

      Delete
    3. Their regular nachos have "Mountain" in them. So I suggested Carnivore Cavern Nachos. They may only go with Carnivore Nachos, but that is fine.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...