Wednesday, April 12, 2023

My Tumble

 



I have never used my walker except as a portable sitting place. Until this Friday, that is all I needed. When my knee became so painful that even limping along holding onto things around here did not work, I had Tommy get it out of the back of the Rogue. 

Saturday night, I slept for about two hours and then needed the walker. Remember, it has four wheels and a seat and backrest sort of thing. I don't remember what I did, maybe a drink of water, maybe I used computer, maybe I went to bathroom. But, I came back into my bedroom and wanted to get something from a clothes basket where I had folded clothes and had not put them in drawers. 

So, I pushed the walker up to the basket and bent over the seat part to retrieve the item I wanted. Well, that is where everything went sideways. I just cannot do justice to what happened next and all at once. I leaned too far as I was holding onto a rolly thing, started over, and barely touched the backrest. I screamed as I tried to get up and regain my balance. That never happened. I just kept going. I tumbled right over and rolling forward a bit. 

I landed with neck up against a chest of drawers, sort of on my side, sort of on my stomach and thoroughly tangled in the walker. It was just terrifying. I screamed on the way down. Once down, I yelled Tommy's name. He never alerts me that he has heard me no matter what. So, I panicked and kept screaming his name louder and louder and "help me." 

"What happened?" Just give me my phone. I called the police, told them I could not get up, to come help me. I could barely talk because of my position in the metal walker and head/neck against the furniture. 

I asked Tommy to help me get the walker off me. He just grabbed it and pulled, never allowing me to tell him what way to pull or allowing me to get out a leg, foot, or arm before he kept pulling. I was terrified I would get a scrape or cut that would be hard to heal. Wound care does not seem like somewhere I want to go, so I was screaming bloody murder at him. That was the most traumatic part of the whole ordeal.

He went to the front door and opened it to look out. He came back and said he could see lights at the park. The ambulance service moved into a building next to Senior Center building that is also in the park. 

I had landed on three or four clothes baskets, squashed them and undid any sorting or folding. Finally, after sort of throwing the baskets around after I pulled them from under me, I could sit up. But, I was up against a pink bin. Ugh!

Well, five guys piled into my room and asked what happened. I cannot get my feet under me enough to be pulled straight up. So, I directed them to take my boom box off the stool by my bed, put boom box on bed, and put stool beside me. Then, they pulled me up onto the stool. THEN, I could help lift myself to my feet. Once they saw me take a step or two, all five walked away. 

Tommy was talking to them as they went down the hall. Tommy told the guy he saw lights in the park and asked was that them. The guy told Tommy that they knew where the house was located because they saw him standing in the doorway. That made me laugh. How many people are standing in the doorway at 4:30 in the morning? 

By the way, Sluggy's tale of the stool traumatized me so that I will never get one of those. Mine is a homemade stool that I got at a yardsale for $1. The only thing wrong with this stool is that someone had gotten paint all over it and threw it in a trashpile by the road. I easily got the paint from the varnished stool. 

My neck tendons, both sides, hurt for several days. There were no scrapes on my legs or arms. My knee suffered no further injuries. Unlike my usual falling events, I did not hit my knees as the walker kept me off the floor. On Monday I noticed a lump on my midriff that was very painful. It got worse on Monday night, and I was concerned as to why I had developed a hard, painful lump. Today, I decided it must be from the handle of the walker.

Every day since, I have made a move to pick up things by bending over the walker. I never get to the bending part, just stop and think about what I am about to do. So far, I check myself and move the walker to one side. It only takes me once to realize I will hurt myself. Today, I am not using my walker at all. 

So, that is my tumble. I would not classify it as a fall, just like the time I fell off the bed, an incident brought on by the mattress sliding off the bed. And, I don't need advice on how to use a walker, thank you, or to be careful. I think it is dangerous to use as is my cane! 

I love the color. Someone at Tommy's church offered it up and I asked. So, it is mine.

Has one of the walkers with wheels and a seat ever seemed treacherous to use? 

15 comments:

  1. Mom had a rollator and unless she was in the process of walking, we were very careful to lock the brakes. If she was sitting or just standing they were locked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I rarely just stand with it. And, I always use brakes to sit because I am terrified that it will roll out from under me. When I have used Tommy's, I have almost fallen because his brakes don't work. Consequently, when I am going to sit, I also back it up against a wall, counter, or something solid so mine won't slide. It is what I have to do with Tommy's.

      Delete
  2. Anne,
    Brakes would not have stopped me. It was the forward motion of my fat body that propelled me into this tumble. Plus, I did not have my hand on one side. Just a disaster all the way around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mum has a walker and sometimes it seems hazardous because the wheels get stuck or she doesn't place it well and is in danger of tripping on the wheels.
    I'm glad it ended with no significant injuries, a bruised middle is more than enough

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      I am familiar with the scene where I am stumbling over the walker itself. The huge knot seems to be dissipating and the pain is less, thankfully. Thank you.

      Delete
  4. Sounds scary. Glad you are doing alright now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      It was terrifying! I seem fine except frightened of the walker.

      Delete
  5. Sounds awful! Thank goodness for the men who helped you up. Although it would have been more helpful if they saw you to your recliner and got you settled...

    Try not to be afraid of the walker. Instead, try to be the Boss Bitch and make that walker behave the way you want it to. Figure out how to use it well and safely. I know it will be nerve-wracking but the sooner you establish dominance over it and your fears, the better off you will be. You can do it, Linda! That walker is a lot less cranky and much quieter than Tommy--so make it submit to your will!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      It was awful. I did not want to go to my recliner. It was 4:30 am going on 5 am, so I am sure they figured I wanted to be in bed. They asked me if I was okay, and I sat on the bed.

      Maybe if I get the walker under control, I can conquer Tommy, too. I just won't try to reach over the walker almost to the floor.

      Delete
  6. Oh dear - that's enough excitement for one night! Hope you aren't too sore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      That excitement will last me a long time. I am just about over the soreness.

      Delete
  7. No - both my parents use one just like you show & have never had any problem with that kind of walker. THE BRAKES should be on when you have it parked - that keeps it from rolling! Glad you're OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie Q,
      The brakes would not have helped. By the time I was going over and down, the brake wheels were off the floor. Thanks!

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...