Friday, April 21, 2023

Plant Sale

 We arose early and went to Cullman as the Master Gardener's were having a plant sale at the Ag Center. It started at noon. We had time to get to the PO and grab a Big Mac. Then, we went to the Ag Center and sat in front of the pavilion and lawn where the event was being set up. As soon as we ate, we got out of the car since they were allowing people to shop. 

I took my walker so I could help transport the plants. However, it was rough going across lawn, a bit of gravel. Sitting was all I accomplished. Tommy got what I wanted and one of the MGs also helped me and answered questions I had. 

Eventually, I made my way into the pavilion and sat again. My back hurt so! 

For three years, I had saved coins in Tootsie Roll coin banks. Finally, I took the pennies, nickels and dimes to the coin machine. That was a little over $12. Then, I had $18.75 in quarters that we carried. This was my plant money. 

My goal was flowers without going to Lowe's. I got flower plants that had few flowers yet. The total came to $41. So, Tommy paid the rest--$10. 

What we got for $41:

2 blueberry bushes

2 Blackberry--Navajo

1 calendula

1 aster, big and bushy

1 lemon balm

1 impatien 

1 daylily, Strawberry Candy

1 Flowering Quince, pink

Then, I bought two more that are on the list--$4 and the first $10, Tommy spent $14 cash. The rest was saved coins. 

Tommy put them all on a table and announced it was going to rain tonight, so he was not watering. That is why I had him put them on the table instead of the porch. I thought I bought blackeyed susan and did not know I bought the quince. I wanted a bluebird house, but Tommy did not want to worry with it. I was planning on doing nothing past putting on the trunk of a tree. But, I left it. 

Just after we arrived home, the guy came to mow, the one who was coming on Wednesday. He had truck trouble then. So, the yard is mowed, $70. We might find it cheaper, but We like the guy. When I mentioned to do something next time, he did not look at me, but looked at Tommy and said, "I will do whatever he tells me to do." And, he gestured at Tommy. !!!

I took a nap before dinner. I was exhausted, still am. 

We went to Publix where I gave away the other two Civil War books to a woman and a guy who wanted them.

I still want two hanging pots for the shepherd's crooks by the ramp. So, I suppose I will still need to spend money. There were food plants, of course tomatoes. But, I left those. I will go the Festhalle Farmer's Market where all food has to be grown by farmers in the county. I know most of these plants are not meant for pots, but that is where they will live, except for the quince. 

Tommy wanted a Big Mac since it had been a long time since he had one. I don't oppose fast food all the time because he wants it. However, I stopped the Hardee's sausage and biscuit, so I will figure out a way to curb the burger impulse, too. Don't get me wrong, I love a Whopper or a Big Mac. I am just trying to eat more healthful foods when out. He says he wants warm food. Maybe I will buy one of the lunch boxes that heats food using the cigarette lighter in the car. Or, maybe I will bring me a sandwich and let him buy his food. I think he might relent after a bit and have me fix him a lunch, too. 

Dinner was leftovers. Tommy had chicken drumstick meat and I had a tiny bit of ham. We had the leftover potato, carrots, and broccoli. He had grapes. I had blueberries. 

When I had him stick the pan in the oven that had 10 drumsticks in it and told him to take it out and eat, he did even more. He took all the meat off all the drumsticks and is pleased to have it ready to eat instead of having to deal with skin and bones. Sometimes, he puts bbq sauce on the meat. 

Do you ever go to plant sales? What do you buy, vegetables, trees, flowers? How was your Friday?

7 comments:

  1. So glad you got your plants. I love the idea of using the coins for the purpose. Perfect. I'm trying my best to eat healthy but a Big Mac does sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vickie,
      Thanks. I hope they can live on the table until we can tend to them. A Big Mac is delicious. But, not too often...lol.

      Delete
  2. I stopped buying plants as it is not humanely possible to keep them alive here. I don't recall when I last had a Big Mac- I remember liking them a lot but oh the calories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      Are there nurseries that sell plants in Phoenix? I wonder what they sell.

      Delete
  3. What FUN getting all those plants! Nurseries are my favorite form of shopping. I could care less about clothes/shoes. But plants? Yes, please!

    I looked up your Strawberry Candy daylily--it's so pretty! And a rebloomer to boot! But you must make sure to nip off the seed pods to ensure rebloom. I am going to look for that one specifically next time I'm at the nursery.

    I would be so excited about that flowering quince. Did you get one with pink blooms? Apparently some have deep pink blossoms--those are gorgeous. I just adore pink in all shades. I would have a grand time experimenting with the fruit. I discovered that quince do thrive in my zone (I thought they were strictly a southern plant), so maybe I will try to find one of those, too...

    I have done a little research on blueberry plants. They are incredibly thirsty the first couple of years, which surprised me. So water them well!

    I could blather on and on; you sure made a grand haul! I wish you the very best of luck with their planting and care. I hope you get tons of blackberries and blueberries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always want pink flowers, but do get other colors if I must...lol. The quince is just a little bush with thorns. At least, the once I had before had no fruit. For twenty years it just sat there and looked pretty with pink flowers.

      Delete
  4. We had a frost again this weekend in south central KY, so I haven't purchased the plants I want for the koi pond besides a couple of hyacinth. This week I will get sunpatiens, calla lily, and sweet potato. We also have a water lily that wintered in the pond and is starting to grow.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...