Sunday, April 30, 2023

Trees That Will Grow in Pots

 



You can grow Trees in Pots. Although I have the Meyer Lemon tree, I would love to have an apple tree, and maybe a fig tree. This article gives the names of dwarf varieties that are best for growing in pots and the year-round care they need. Of course, you can plant in the ground. Right now, I am working on Lemons, blackberries, and blueberries, so I won't be purchasing these dwarf varieties this year.

My sinus problems are lessening each day, but not gone. Still puny.

I cooked pork roast with carrots and potatoes in the crockpot. It is delicious and will provide leftovers. I also baked about 20 thighs in the oven. Tommy will take the meat off the bone and I can freeze a portion of the thigh meat. 

Tommy put all the pots on the porch onto the ramp last night, so they have had a proper watering. He was going to put MiracleGro on today, but maybe tomorrow. The Stella d' Oro are blooming. The wind was blowing so hard that the supertunia was swaying so it was threatening to blow down the shepherd's hook, so I bought zip ties to connect the hooks to the rail of the ramp. The pots where we sowed seeds have something coming up. Like Tommy said, they could be weeds. Maybe in a few days we can tell. 

We took a short ride and went to the park. I put out a bit of the cereal we have that is gross. One bird came. We are going the wrong time of day for birds to be about. 

I am continuing my walks down the hall. It is not much, but it can't hurt and can only help. 

How I ran out of Miracle Whip is a mystery to me. Usually, I have a reserve jar or four but not this time. So, we went to store for that. I do remember buying it at a sale price, one quart, hoping to find a better sale. Well, now the regular price is the sale price. So, the price of MW is dropping. Well, it appears that way.

The cleaner did not come again today. We have heard nothing. Tommy said he wondered if she ever came back from California. 

The weather was beautiful today. There will be no rain until a chance next Friday. I like this. 

What kind of trees do you grow in pots? 

Have you found a few foods are coming down in price?

Do you have one food that is always in reserve in your pantry, something you can always count on?

Dinner: pork roast, carrots, potatoes, strawberries

8 comments:

  1. I need to do this...a lemon tree would be great. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vickie
      You are welcome. If I had more room, like a greenhouse, I would get more trees in pots.

      Delete
  2. roast sounds yummy. Good going on the batch cooking of chicken.
    Any exercise is better than none - the walks sure can't hurt.
    Have a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      The roast was delicious. There is enough for another meal. I put up part of the thighs in pint freezer bags, enough for two or three meals for Tommy. This so he can eat chicken instead of meat not good for him.

      Delete
  3. Meyer lemons are very hard to grow in pots. They survive, but they don't thrive. I got teeny lemons from mine the first year I had it. Decent, fragrant blooms, but no lemons. I have fertilized it with special fertilizer, but I think it wants a bigger pot. Sigh. I just need to get around to it. I wish I could put it in the ground, but that won't work in New England.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Too bad it is not doing well. I have heard others say they got multiple lemons. I suppose I can just pretend I am a citrus farmer...lol. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. In your climate, I think you will have far more success than I have had. Just watch it for spider mites. The lemons I got were so delicious. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I know of people who have them, Anne for one, right here in B'ham. I will bring it in and put it in a sunny room. I will research the cure for spider mites. It sounds like a soapy treatment would work. I have several bottles of insecticide soap. Thanks for that. I will be aware.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...