Thursday, May 11, 2023

Ads This Week

 Publix had no paper ads in the store on Wednesday as they had not received any. Last night, I pored the ads as well as I could on the internet. When Tommy asked about an ad, a manager said he was leaving right then to go pick up ads from another store. 

There were deals I wanted. By the time Tommy arrived at 1 pm, there were no mushrooms that were bogo. They arrived at the store and did not meet the store standards. Tommy would have gotten anything even though I told him they had to be really white. 

At Sam's when we went, I found 10 cans of tuna packaged together for a bit under $11, about $10.98. So, I got those since tuna is much more expensive nowadays. At Publix, 4 cans of tuna in a package are 2 packages for $6. That makes it $0.75/can, cheaper only 5 years ago. This is StarKist Chunk Light in water, 5 ounces. I told Tommy to get as many as he wanted. Since there were only 5 packages left, he got four. It seems "2 for" means you have to buy two to get the special price. He had remembered that. These will go fast at this price, so I will probably get four more before the ad goes off. Is this a sign of prices going down or just my good luck?

Planter's Peanuts in a jar are bogo, forgot what price. But, I will get these because he gets the ones with full salt. I get the lightly salted ones. 

There was a Publix bag for 99 cents. I had Tommy get that one. It is heavy recyclable polypropylene. It is smaller than I wanted but okay. As I took off the tag that ties the handles together, I decided to open it and see exactly the size. I struggled a bit and finally looked inside. This bag has dividers, four of equal size. Maybe they each would hold a bottle of wine or catsup. Interesting. I have never seen a cheap store bag with dividers. I will go over the ad again, and so will Tommy. But, I will wait for a paper ad. 

By the way, Tommy could not reach the tuna on the very bottom shelf so had to get a very young woman to get it up. So, the store put the best tuna deal out of sight? Not an accident! Well, I went back in later and the sale tuna was on a side of the endcap front and center.

When I went in to get the ad, I decided to shop. Tomatoes (bogo)are needed for Mediterranean pasta. We needed peanut butter, so I got Skippy Natural, 40 oz for Tommy, 15 oz size for me. I bought four more 4-packs of tuna, 16 cans in all. With the 16 cans Tommy bought this morning and the 8 cans left from Sam's purchase, we have 40 cans, enough for 10 months with dates of 2026 on the last 32 we got today. 

Tommy bought the thick tote bag with four sections. But, this afternoon, the manager had no idea, had never seen them. He was very jovial today and just gave me two bags. I kept asking how much are they. Free. Well, okey dokey.

I was getting faint, so I bought a banana and got a spoon from the deli and had banana and pb to get my blood sugar up a bit. It sure felt good to eat. 

Then, we went to the Pig to get the ad. I shopped because I did not want the free item to run out. Eggs were free with $10 purchase. I got those, 3 Vidalia onions. I got two little packages of sugar free Jello. The receipt is in the bag with eggs, so I am not sure what else I bought. 

When I took the eggs inside the house, I checked to see all were whole. They were. Then, as I held the egg carton, I saw a price of 99 cents on the carton with a marker. I picked up the eggs from the bin where the free ones were located. But, these were from another bin with eggs that were expiring on Friday, May 12, 2023. So, now I need to go back and get the exchange. Using the app may be hard, but they will do it, I know. Tommy was a little horrified when I told him I got more eggs. "We don't have enough room." Cooking tonight emptied on of the cartons of 18. So, we don't have the problem he thinks. 

I have said I was going to make salmon croquettes for the last week or more. Tonight, I did. Three eggs, a can of salmon, onions, oats, crackers, salt and pepper. They were delicious. Dinner: Salmon croquettes. green beans, slaw. I had strawberries afterward. We had salmon croquettes with pan fried potatoes and brown gravy. I think we had greens and navy beans. 

Hold me to this. I need to dehydrate celery and Vidalia onions. Both will go into Ball jars for use all year. I won't dice the celery since it is too much on my hands. Besides, I will only use it to put into soup. spaghetti, or on a pan to bake meat or other vegetables. The Vidalia may just be sliced, not diced. 

So far, the brownies have not had a laxative effect. whew! 

Rain came down in torrents tonight, blowing hard. Tommy beamed as he looked out the door. "I don't have to water!" Well, it was dark, so if it had not rained, it was too late to go out to water. Every day, he counts the blossoms on the Stella d' Oro. Today he was so happy there were eight blossoms. He commented that they are doing better than last year. I suppose it a second year thing. I will divide them for next year if that is a thing I can do to get more plants and possible more blossoms without buying a new plant. They are dependable. 

Do you buy Vidalia onions when they are in season? Dehydrate the Vidalia onions to use all year? 

How does your garden grow? I think I saw a blueberry blossom today. 


6 comments:

  1. That was a good price on the tuna considering the price of it lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      That was my thought exactly. I used all I had bought cheaply and was ready for a cheaper price.

      Delete
  2. A lot of store chains are starting to discontinue paper ads now. They are going digital to save paper. Happening a lot in the midwest.
    Great deal on the tuna. Those bags are sold here in the liquor section for wine bottles. Ours lets you put 4 bottles in the bag and you get a certain discount from what I hear.
    Love sweet onions!
    Raspberries are blooming here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      That's what I hear. Hopefully, it won't happen here. This was some sort of mixup since all other Publix received ads. The manager said he drove 40 miles to get some for this store, going to another Publix.
      Wine was my first thought. So, this handy little bag is to boost sales of alcohol.
      I love raspberries.
      Do you get Vidalia where you live?

      Delete
  3. My snap peas are twining and vining beautifully; I expect to have blooms any day now. My experiemental tub of dwarf carrots is struggling, but the tub of radishes is going gangbusters.

    I planted 2 pots of overwintered tulips only to have the squirrels dig out the sprouting bulbs and carry them off. I got 1 purple tulip for my troubles, out of 18 bulbs! Grrrrrr. The amaryllis I didn't force this winter are blooming now, and I enjoy them just as much as I would have in December.

    I need to pot some chartreuse and purple sweet potato vines for my north-facing screened porch. I want to train them on wire obelisks like I did with my snap peas, so I have a towers of greenery. It'd be nice if they bloomed, too--but you can't have everything.

    I have some spring bulbs that I need to plant over a dear friend's grave, along with some calibrachoas (Million Bells). The bulbs may sprout but not flower; that's okay because they'll be that much bigger next spring for their first bloom. The Million Bells are so she will have blooms all summer. I miss my friend greatly. :^(

    I hung 2 fuschia plants near my hummingbird feeder, but have not yet seen any hummers yet. I swear I heard the familiar "hum" one day, but didn't see anything. I keep changing out the old sugar water, and waiting and hoping...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sue,
    Yay for snap peas. Boo for squirrels. My hummers don't seem too interested in flowers or feeders. I wonder.
    I didn't know there were any places that still allowed plantings on graves. Maybe you don't mean in dirt over the grave, but in planters on the tombstone.
    I still have not gotten the sweet potatoes sprouted to hang from baskets. Squirrels took all my tulip bulbs at my house. At least they don't like daffodils.
    Carrots have been my goal for some time, but I need something flatter and wider.
    It sounds like things are coming along nicely with your plants.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...