Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Yucky Keto Brownies (edit--death at Publix)

 Today was a good day. I replaced the Wilton brownie pan and found a blouse on sale. It did not rain here once again, but it seemed Birmingham was spared. On the interstate there was about a ten-second spit of rain. We didn't even need the windshield wiper. 

All the flowers faltered a bit a few days ago, but seem to have rallied. The Stella D'Oro are full of flowers now. Maybe the flowers rallied because they got their second dose of fertilizer on Monday. Most of the flower envelopes stated to fertilize once a week, so we will. 

When I was in the research group for people who had had cancer, I was given two boxes of Miracle Gro, for flowers and vegetables. Then, at the final dinner, we could take all the supplies left over from the research project that was ending. Tommy and I both took two boxes of fertilizer. So, we have plenty. 

We both had an appointment with the podiatrist. We were about two months overdue for our next appointment. Her office called and said she had to cancel our last appointment because she was ill. Well today, she said she was in the hospital for a week. She had a pulmonary embolism. She had risk factors and had just traveled by plane. 

After the appointment we did go shopping. Of course, when we came home, I had a nap. 

Dinner: Chicken Cordon Bleu, new potatoes, slaw. I had the last of the strawberries--2, and almost a half cup of blueberries. 

We tried the Duncan Hines Chewy Fudge Brownies, and it stinks. There is nothing thick or fudgy about them. The texture of the batter and the brownie was like corn meal, the chocolate tasted bitter. I love dark chocolate, so this was a different taste, not good. Tommy is not a fan, either. AND, there was this warning--Excessive consumption may cause a laxative effect in sensitive individuals. Just great!

I forgot to include this:

91-year-old woman dies after being struck by vehicle in Cullman (msn.com)

I was told a month ago at this Publix that a woman was hit and knocked into the bushes. I am afraid to cross to the store on the electric cart. I have known this woman for at least 35 years. 

If you do keto, do you find the same texture I did? I think the weird chocolate taste was due to artifical sweeteners. Do you like keto baking items? 

22 comments:

  1. Most things that are labeled "keto" aren't really what most true keto people would want. However, the Swerve baking mixes are mostly OK. I use them occasionally. I have some high quality protein powder that I add to it to make the protein count a bit higher and it helps the flavor and texture, too.

    There are many people who do not care much for the sugar alcohols, even if not taken in large doses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      This was my first foray into keto world, and I was not pleased. I have never liked the tasted of alcohols. If the chocolate flavor had been okay, I might have been able to tolerate the texture. What protein do you use? What is the source of the protein?

      Delete
    2. I use Equip Foods Prime Protein. It's a beef protein with very few ingredients, each being real food. It's not a processed amalgamation of things one cannot pronounce.

      The basics of keto are: no seed oils (processed, inflammatory), no grains, real food, very low carb. Focus on good quality protein and healthy fats.

      Delete
    3. Alice,
      And, I cannot have beef proteins since that is one of the things I am really allergic to!
      Thanks. I did not know all this information.

      Delete
  2. The death of your friend is absolutely dreadful. My condolences to you and my prayers for her family.

    Just yesterday I had to holler at an old couple who were backing out of their parking space at the grocery. There was a old gent who was walking behind them very, very slowly. The driver didn't even turn to look behind her OR check her rear view as she went into reverse! I yelled, "MA'AM!!! STOP!!! THERE'S SOMEONE BEHIND YOU!!!" good and loud. She did stop, thankfully. I stayed and watched until the old gent was safely away from them. Cheezits! I'm pretty sure she would have mowed that man down.

    The "laxative" effect of the brownies is probably from Sorbitol, a sugar substitute. Best to just throw them out. Or wrap them individually and freeze for when you're constipated. LOL!!!!

    If I am making a low-sugar dessert, I do it from scratch. I try to find something that is fairly low-sugar anyway, and then use erythritol, which comes in grantulated and powdered white, as well as granulated brown.

    Mostly I just eat sugar-free jello, which I love. Although DH brought home Hermit cookies last night, and the wedge I had was super delicious. Never had a Hermit quite that tasty before. Sure wish I could find that exact recipe.

    It's sunny and breezy here today, and should reach 80. I am busy flitting from task to task like a bee on crack. Some days I have a clear head and am productive, and other days it's like my brain is nothing but a bowl of cold, lumpy oatmeal. So I'm gonna make the most of this clarity! Hope you and Tommy have a wonderful day, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I warn Tommy all the time about cars and people behind him! He says that there was nothing there last time he looked. I point out he does not give one last look. I am glad you were there.
      Erithritol is the ingredient I have found that does not taste foul.
      I need a hermit cookie, now that you mention it...lol.
      Are you kidding me with "wrap and freeze?" They are all gone so no using that suggestion.
      Sugar free Jello is fine except for when I really want chocolate.

      Delete
  3. Since keto prohibits grain flours baked keto good will never have the texture of wheat, corn, or rice flour baked goods. Even the finest nut flours still have a small gritty feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      Rats! I was thinking about the mouth feel. I think if it were more like cornmeal, it would be better. But, the small gritty feel is just not cutting it for me, especially when it is suppose to be fudgy brownies. Does it bother you?

      Delete
    2. To be honest I will not use the keto mixes and only bake desserts from scratch.
      I understand the texture of keto baked items will not mimic flour based ones so it does not bother me. I also use the finest milled nut flours I can find and that helps, but I make keto desserts very seldom.

      Delete
    3. What nuts and what brands do you use?

      Delete
    4. Bob's Almond Flour or Kirkland Almond Flour, I forget the brand name of the pecan flour I use, likewise for the coconut flour. They were both put into freezer bags and stay there all the time.
      Just make sure you get flour and not meal

      Delete
    5. I use the Kirkland Almond Flour as well, but sub in some regular flour as well (my husband can have a little). It makes a big difference, if you have flexibility to have both.

      Delete
    6. HP,
      That is good to know. I can have some flour. I think mixing the flour might help.

      Delete
  4. I broke down and bought one of hose huge, expensive containers of protein powder. They don't seem to offer smaller cans. It tastes likes coffee creamer with added vitamins, etc. I thought it would add value to certain foods or ingredients when sprinkled on. Perhaps it does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole,
      Yes, those cans are huge. I keep reading the ingredients.

      Delete
    2. Have you tried it in a smoothie? I like it with: banana, some sort of milk (I use soy, almond, oat, but you could also use dairy), peanut butter (really masks the flavor of the protein) & frozen fruit. You can also sneak in some greens, if you have any that need to be used up.

      Delete
    3. HP,
      I am afraid of what is in the cannisters. I need to know I am not allergic to the source of the protein.

      Delete
  5. oh my goodness..youngest daughter bought a lot of Keto Cereal. We gagged when we ate it. All the boxes that where not opened went back to the store. You got to watch some of that yucky stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keto and brownies should not be used in the same sentence.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...