Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Butts, Lemons, and Impatiens



I had Tommy go back into the store with the pork butts for $1.79/lb. to see if they got more in before the ad went off on Tuesday. No such luck. He was going to get more lemons, too, but they had gone back up in price since they were on the holiday ad. 

Interested in how the lemons tasted that looked pale orange, I took one and cut it open. It was the juiciest lemon I had ever seen, and the juice was not so tart as most lemons. After a little research, I decided I had bought Meyer lemons. The bag is from Limoneira, from California. The brand seems like an upscale brand, but this grocery store is definitely not upscale, not that it matters. 

I have been checking for lemon flower buds on my Meyer lemon tree. Now, I need to juice the ones I have from the grocery. 

At the plant sale, I bought an impatiens plant. I am not crazy about impatiens, but I knew the ones I had seen had really pretty flowers, especially when viewed from afar. My impatien finally had one red or dark pink flower. Then, the leaves started turning yellow, but the yellow was in a pattern. So, I lost the panic and figured these were variegated leaves. Then, many flowers bloomed. It is beautiful.

Finally, I looked it up and found a plant just like mine. I am so happy I bought this pot because it is beautiful, not as many flowers as in the pictures, but gorgeous anyway. And, the plant was a foot tall for only $4. My flowers are not pink, well not a paler pink like in the picture at the head of this post. I love it. 

Have you ever found Meyer lemons in the produce section at any grocery? 

Do you like impatiens? My friend's impatiens reseeded every year so she never bought them again, just watched them grow. Has this been your experience? 


10 comments:

  1. We bought the Meyers lemons once and they were so nice. We don’t see them too often or would buy them more. I was looking at the Publix ad for this week and they have their chicken breasts, but one get one free, so naturally I thought of you and wanted to mention it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      I think maybe I have never seen them because I rarely, if ever, buy more than one or two loose lemons. I will check for the breasts. Thanks for the tip.

      Delete
  2. Very seldom do I see Meyer lemons this far north (Northwest Ohio) But I used to buying them when Hubby was working in Pell City AL, when Son2 was based at Fort Stewart GA and when I worked in Covington GA. Tried to bring a bushel home every time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      Since these are shipped from CA, they could certainly be shipped to your area now. Where in Pell City did your husband work? Did you like the South?

      Delete
  3. Meyer lemons are quite tasty. I used to have Inpatients for years. They are annual here. This year I didn't get any. I do love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure why I have never had a Meyer lemon before now. I will look for them from now on. Impatiens reseed but I have never had any. But, I will from now on.

      Delete
  4. I think Impatiens are so pretty. I do not have a green thumb so I haven't been lucky with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa,
      The ones I have seen in the past reseeded prolifically. Maybe it is the soil.

      Delete
  5. Meyer lemons show up in various stores now and then. Even Aldi's has had them. They ARE much better than regular lemons, for sure.

    I like impatiens and intend to plant some as groundcover in a shady spot. One of these fine days... ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am spoiled as most folks here grow lemons. What comes off these trees are quite juicy. I hope they aren't bad for me.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...