Monday, May 29, 2023

Easy Memorial Day and Apples

Today was a good day. I slept 10 hours last night and awoke at noon. Around 7 pm. I took a nap until 9 pm. I did not cook anything special, but we ate well. For dinner Tommy had a chicken breast and a huge salad.

Right now, at 10 pm, I am boiling a pot of potatoes for potato salad for tomorrow. I will make mashed potatoes for Tommy tomorrow. My Victoza pen will not work--on a holiday, of course! For my dinner tonight, I will have keto bread, chicken breast, tomato, green stuff, and MW. It only has 6 grams of carbs, so I won't need the injection so much. I think.

Tonight, I will only add the chopped onions to the potatoes as I think hot potatoes on the onions makes the potatoes soak up more of the flavor. I really don't like cooking so late, but Tommy was peeling potatoes when I went for a nap. I could have stayed awake and miserable, but I chose sleep.

As for Sue's question--how do I find a crisp Red Delicious Apple. First, I look at the color. If the color is not bright red, sort of a darkish red and not shiny, it is never a really good apple. But, the main thing I look at it the blossom end. If it is really open, it is not crisp. I do look for green leaves at the blossom end. But, dark leaves and a closed apple on the blossom end is good. So, the main thing is the closed end.

I was really distraught at the lack of good apples, only mealy Red Delicious. An older produce manager told me that when the blossom end is open, that means the apple has been off cold storage and it might be mealy. 

Looking at the color just tells me which apples I want to pick up. Then, the closed blossom end. Then, the green leaves around the blossom end. The first time Tommy ever picked out an apple for me, he was dismayed--Do you know I had to pick up 19 apples to find this good one? I laughed and assured him I have done the same. 

Of course, I do pick up apples from the back of the stack without letting them roll off the counter. I have a theory the best ones are on the back. 

My reward for all this work is a satisfyingly crisp apple. 

How was your Memorial Day? 

6 comments:

  1. Our day was fine, we spent it at home enjoying the day. Now I want an apple, 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      It is great you had a pleasant day at home. This house is never without an apple unless I am on the way to the store to replace the last one.

      Delete
  2. Stayed home and enjoyed the cooler day - it will be getting hot soon. Porch set a while, read, and pulled some weeds. Nothing exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      That sounds like a good day. I don't need exciting.

      Delete
  3. Well I am going to try your method next time I grocery shop. For many years, I've opted for Gala apples because they are reliably crisp. But I am intrigued and will see if I can find a crisp Red Delicious! And now, I want an apple, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Just be prepared to pick up many apples. I will have half an apple tonight. I can eat a whole apple but I get too full. Besides, there are less carbs in half an apple. Good luck.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...