Thursday, May 4, 2023

Cucumber Sandwiches and Coronation

 I am not one to watch the Super Bowl or any games for that matter. The Kentucky Derby is not a food occasion for me. But, one event will call for food...all night long. What is that?

The coronation of Charles III. Today, I took advantage of Publix sales to stock up on things that are not high carb. I will be eating all night during the coronation...lol. 

I bought celery and now have three heads in the refrigerator. Why? Because I forgot I had two heads and bought a huge, pretty head for $1.50. I suppose I need to get dicing, eating, freezing. But, I will put it in a Suddenly Salad with tuna. 

Slaw will be made to eat with chicken breast and Roma tomato. Slaw was bogo at Publix--$4 for 2.

Avocado $1

Blueberries. I have strawberries, both just to eat, no desserts with them. 

European cucumber for cucumber sandwiches. The bread will not be cut in rounds, just 1/ 4 pieces of bread. I have cream cheese.

I bought Nabisco Graham Crackers in case I need one with peanut butter. Northern TP because it was on sale. Classico Spaghetti Sauce because it was bogo.

There is tuna and Suddenly Salad here which i will make with lots of chopped celery and not all of the salty seasoning pack that comes with it. 

Tommy bought six 24-packs of Diet Pepsi and Diet Dr Pepper. He may have bought some sort of chips for him, not sure. (yes, he did)

I am very excited about the coronation. I love the tradition and pageantry. I am so glad Meghan will not be present. And, I am not a Camilla fan. There will be no debate from me on this subject. But, you may disagree. It will be a disappointment not to see all the traditional robes and accoutrements as it seems lots will be eliminated, like the knee britches and velvet robes.

On Friday night, I will go to bed after the news at 10:30 pm and have Tommy set the alarm for 3:30 pm. I plan to stay up for the pageant and will need snacks, so Friday afternoon will be spent preparing the cucumber sandwiches and Suddenly Salad.

Tonight, the ground beef did not thaw, so we will have chicken thighs, yellow squash with onions, and sliced tomatoes in our salad. There were chicken breasts in the chicken thighs I baked, so I won't have to thaw anything for myself. I need to freeze lots of the thighs tonight. I should have made Coronation Quiche. 

At 7:30 pm we went out and put the pink lemonade and lemon slice into one pot. It went quickly and Tommy put a bit more fertilizer on it and watered everything. He won't have to water this next week because it appears we will have rain every day or a chance of rain. 

Will you be watching the coronation all night long? Are you a fan of the royals? Are you having coronation food?


10 comments:

  1. I'll watch the coronation if my anti-royal son doesn't make a song and dance about it. I won't have special snacks.
    I like royal weddings and funerals, I haven't seen a coronation before but I'm sure it will hold the same kind of interest.

    Three heads of celery is a LOT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      Pooh on the son...lol. I have to have food, so I tried for mostly healthy. Tommy ate all the strawberries, so I may need to get more. I watched the Queen's funeral and was mesmerized. I know, too much celery, so I have to get busy on those heads of celery.

      Delete
  2. As a brit now in California... Im flying my Union Jack... have made the Coronation Quiche... and I will definitely be watching all the coverage of the Big Day. I worked in London in the 1980s and attended as many Royal appearances as I could. I stood outside Buckingham Palace for the Trooping the Colour..and outside Clarence House for the Queen Mothers birthday. I was lucky enough to shake the hand of a pregnant Princess Diana... and as an 11 year old..sang (with our school choir) for the Queen when she visited our little Welsh town in the 1970s. I think you could say Im a bit of a fan. Enjoy the celebrations!
    Phoebe x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phoebe,
      Oh, you are a fan! Those events would be great to witness. I wish now that I had made coronation quiche...maybe another day. I wish I had a tiny Union Jack to wave as I watch it all.

      Delete
  3. No watching for me - I really don't care. Can't stand Camilla and not a huge fan of Charles. A lot of fuss for people who have no true power. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will not watch in real time, but will record it on my Tivo so I can watch/fast forward at my leisure. Not a fan of Horse-Face Camilla, feel just a teensy bit sorry for Chuckie (but only a little because his cheating on Diana proves he is less than a man and doesn't deserve the role of King), and am very much looking forward to Prince William and that darling, darling Kate. Kate has been such a positive force within the royal family. They are so lucky to have got her and they should be kissing her royal arse hourly.

    Love that you are getting all your snacks prepped! Tell me how you make your cucumber sandwiches, please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Tivo is a good idea. Wish I had it right now.
      When Kate was in college, someone told her she was lucky to to get/have William. Kate said, "he is lucky to have me!" Good, smart answer. I love her and those children, too. Imagine if William had gotten a Meghan, too.
      I am not pretty, so I don't have much room to talk, but she is not a good looking woman. Yesterday, I read that someone, a guy, said she was beautiful. Whaat?
      Some snacks are just as they are--strawberries, blueberries, and such.
      Cucumber sandwiches recipe next post.

      Delete
  5. I'll watch some of it but not all of it. I love the pagentry too. But I still think Harry will pull some kind of stunt, just not sure what at this point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treaders,
      Even if Harry does not "do" anything, he will be all the talk. Of course, there is wild card Meghan. This should be fun.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...