Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Out and About Recycling on Thursday

 As you may know, we recycle--newspaper, other paper, drink cans, drink bottles, water bottles, batteries, prescription/otc bottles, Styrofoam, plastic wrapping film (tp packaging and such). You can imagine the clutter this makes. But, we keep it under control by having each in its own container. We do sell the drink cans and soup/tuna type cans. 

When I heard on the news that the Birmingham News demise was affecting the Birmingham Humane Society, I knew where the newspaper needed to be taken. They were asking for newspaper since the paper was no longer in business. So, today, we took a drive.

Tommy separated the paper from newspaper. I gathered all the prescription/pill bottles and we drove there to donate them. I talked to woman at desk and she came and carried it all inside. 

We picked up a prescription. Then, we collected this week's ads from three stores. Mustard was the free item this week at The Pig. There does not seem to be many exciting sales. But, I did not look at the Publix ad. Tommy said he circled items while I did shop in The Pig. 

If you live in the Birmingham area, maybe you can take a load of newspaper to the Birmingham Humane Society. We go to a battery store to recycle batteries. Publix takes the paper, bottles, and Styrofoam. 

When Lynda was speaking to us, we gave meat scraps to her dog. I would like to compost table scraps and veggie scraps, but Tommy is not amenable to the idea. I want one of the bins that sits up on legs and can be turned with a handle. 

Tonight, we are watching a PBS documentary with David Attenborough about bird songs. He was a strikingly handsome and virile young man! 

So, dinner will be something prepared from the store. The price was right. One dish has some sort of veggie ravioli and the other has asparagus and mushrooms. We can eat chicken thigh if we desire meat. I will put the exact dishes in tomorrow's post. 

I made a mistake. We just had the two dishes and both were beyond too hot/spicy for me. One bite of each made me ill, woozy, and ready to rid myself of both bites. If I did not hate to throw up so much, I would get rid of this. The red sauce had incredibly spicy sausage. The white sauce was the hot part with mushrooms and asparagus. I warned Tommy, but he can stand spicy food even though he does not care for it much. I have had strawberries, watermelon  tonight, apple, and banana tonight. 

Lunch was chicken sandwich with cheese and Romaine. Lunch was late, so brunch, I suppose. My temples are throbbing from a bit of spicy. My blood pressure is high, too. Ears are ringing. 

What do you recycle? 

12 comments:

  1. We have had no garbage pick-up whatsoever for about the last 15 years. We take everything into the village and drop off our own garbage and there are recycling bins there too. Failing that we take everything down to the big recycling centre in town. It's all very much self-service here! Also, as from next year, all French homes have to have compost bins (they are giving them away free and installing them in apartment buildings too), so composting is a big deal here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fifteen years is a long time without garbage pickup. In the US, people would just dump it off the road and into creeks or wherever. Do you have a problem with people dumping it evrywhere? We work hard to recycle. But, if there is no place to take things, it is hard. Composting is a big deal even if people don't do it. Is it this way all over France?

      Delete
  2. Thank you for helping the humane society!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      We figured they must be feeling the loss of newspapers badly for it to make the tv news.

      Delete
  3. You spoke not long ago about preferring paper ads to digital. On the front of our Kroger ads this week, there was a notice that in four weeks, they will discontinue paper ads and go to digital only. I hope they save enough on the printing to recapture lost sales due to no one knowing what to buy that week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      I heard that somewhere. But, thanks for confirming that rumor. I will not shop with a phone. I would have to just cruise the whole store. There is a Kroger truck that delivers that comes within a block of me. I saw on internet that you get $15 off each of the first three orders. I may try that three times. Otherwise, I will not bother going to the Kroger store. You are right that it will result in lost sales. What is the world coming to?

      Delete
  4. Yikes--a bite of spicy sausage makes you want to retch? I wonder...maybe you're allergic to capsaisin? Are you okay with just black pepper?

    We are lucky that we have a single recycling stream. All newspaper, aluminum, glass, cardboard, and plastic (all types, not just 1 & 2) go in one large trash-sized bin on wheels. It gets collected every other week. Naysayers like to kvetch that it's just getting dumped like regular trashed, but I choose to believe the system works.

    I need to find a place to recycle batteries. My husband collects them in boxes, but can't be bothered to figure out where to take them. Typical.

    I need to get more serious about composting. Hmm. Put that on the list, along with finding a place to take used batteries!

    All this thinking is too much for the morning. I need a cup of coffee. Hope you and Tommy have a splendid day, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      My whole body reacted, not just gastrointestinal system. It took about four hours for my body to calm down, but not completely. I struggle to fill a pepper shaker and can only use one brand of black pepper. I can put a shake of pepper on food but have to be careful. I cannot refill a pepper shaker because of pepper in the air.

      I would love to be able to dump all recycling in one can. This town does not even have the small blue recycling bins, much less the large cans. We recycled glass and then found out the company did not recycle or even toss it. They just dumped it.

      Try searching for "batteries." There is a place that specializes in batteries, a battery store. They gladly came to the car to get my bag of batteries. We drop them in a jar that peanuts come in and then transfer to a bag.
      At my house, I used building blocks to construct my own little bin. It worked and did not smell at all.
      We made a list for groceries from the ads we picked up yesterday. So, we have that planned and the weather will be beautiful.
      I know. It is too much for me to think about, too.

      Delete
  5. That's crazy you have such a strong reaction to spice that it makes you so ill and even affects your blood pressure, poor thing! That seems so extreme that I wonder if you're allergic? Sorry you had that happen to you!

    Great job on all your recycling efforts, I am impressed!! Love that you're giving newspaper to the humane society too. We are big on recycling here too. I'll have to remember to check with our humane society to see if they need any newspaper. Although we don't have much newspaper anymore which is sad, I used to be a daily newspaper reader but the subscription is outrageous these days & I a perfectly fine getting my news online (which is WHY there's no more newspapers I suppose hmmm...)

    You said when Lynda was speaking to us...? Is she not speaking to you now? That's a shame, she seemed like she was one of your besties really! Hope things improve there.

    Hope you & Tommy have a wonderful day Linda :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bri,
    More about my blood pressure tomorrow. I was ill for about four hours. I should have spit it out right in my plate. Yes, I am sure I am allergic.
    I get the newspaper from my town in the mail and have since I moved here. We were drowning in paper. I hated to toss it, so finally got Tommy organized and recycling set up.
    Well, there was a strange episode with her one night. Then, she would not answer the phone when I called the next two days. So, that is that unless I hear from her.
    We have plans that should make it a great day. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Warwick recycling is a commendable initiative that aims to promote sustainability and reduce waste in the community. With the increasing awareness of the detrimental effects of excessive waste on the environment Warwick residents have embraced recycling as a way to make a positive impact. The town has implemented a comprehensive recycling program that includes the collection of various materials such as paper cardboard, plastic, glass and metal.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...