Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Into the Freezer

 A few days ago, I cooked 2.5 lbs. of ground beef with onions and froze it in small packages. Tonight, I froze another 2.5 lbs. raw, and it is in the freezer. Four of the packages were large enough to make a meal that would serve four, so two meals for each of us. Sounds like leftovers to me. The last package was puny. But, I told Tommy I could make a meatloaf that would feed both of us a meal. Or, I could cook it for spaghetti. 

Edit: I know this sounds like tiny portions, but I will put this in spaghetti or make meatloaf or some other recipe to stretch it. If we want a hamburger, which we seldom do, we can always use a package for four meals and use it for two meals, one for each of us. It is flexible packaged raw.

The only way I got this work done was by having Tommy bring a cookie sheet type pan, the meat, a spatula, pint freezer bags, waxed paper. I worked from my lap and got nothing on hands, sheet pan or anything. I am careful. I scooped the ground meat onto a square of waxed paper and folded it to put it into the pint bag. It is labeled and in the freezer. That feels like quite an accomplishment since feeling puny, I was afraid it would the meat would spoil. Of course, I could have had Tommy cook it all in a pot on the stove. 

Tonight, I also made slaw on my lap. 

After a good sleep Monday night, and a very good nap today, I feel just a smidgen better. 

Tuesday morning, Tommy washed a load of underthings and nightgowns. So, tonight, I am hanging them to dry. I have not felt like doing this earlier. They will hang in doorways until tomorrow night unless company comes by. 

I got behind on reading newspapers to send to recycling, so I am working on catching up. I feel a renewed effort is worth it to send the papers to the animal shelter. Plus, we both want them out of the house. 

Today, I found one of the wildflowers is ready to bloom. These were embedded in a postcard from Johnson and Johnson. But, none of the Stella D'Oro bloomed, and I am not sure why. Not enough sun? We had clouds and a slow and gentle rain today. 

Dinner: Tommy had sirloin filet, slaw, leftover potato. I had hotdog with no-beans chili and cheese, slaw. I am not eating a bun with these hotdogs, just a little chili and a lot of cheese.

I had breakfast around noon: Special K, half a banana, milk. Then, at 3 pm, I had a huge salad with chicken, cheese, and Caesar salad dressing. 

We went out for a small chore at phone store. But, we did not take the password. I did not want to go home, get it and go back. Then, I did not want to get the milk we both needed. I just wanted a nap. Not only was it a good nap, I dreamed all my photos magically appeared on my laptop. 

The dog next door barked for a solid hour because the kids across the street were playing basketball. Of course, no one came out to quiet them. Surely, the mothers must become annoyed at some point. Or not.

What did you have for dinner on Tuesday night or this week? I am planning to cook chicken on Wednesday. What will you cook for this week? Are you lucky enough to have leftovers?


8 comments:

  1. We had Hawaiian Chicken and scalloped potatoes for dinner. I enjoy scalloped potatoes but they take longer to make than other types of potatoes. I’m glad you are feeling better after a restful sleep/nap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      Hawaiian Chicken and scalloped potatoes sounds wonderful. Do you have a recipe to share for the chicken? Feeling much worse now!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like perfect size packaging to me. I have always done 1/2 lb. packages of ground meat. If I need more than that - just take out another package.
    Glad you feel a smidge better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      Exactly! I tell Tommy to just get another package if his second helping from a package of thighs is skimpy.

      Delete
  3. I made pork chops and potatoes in the oven. I use a metal pan and smear a chunk of butter where each chop will be. I mix together 1 egg and 2 TBS of milk in a pie pan and I use bread crumbs mixed with store bought croutons, that I crush up into finer crumbs. I add garlic powder and black pepper. After dipping the chops into the egg mixture and tossing it in the crumbs, I lay each one on a spot of butter. Then I bake them for 15 minutes before turning them and baking another 15 minutes. We had tiny roasted potatoes that I cut in half and added olive oil, garlic powder, salt, blk pepper, and dried chives and put on a cookie sheet, cut side down and baked. The other side was a sliced up English cuke with sour cream dressing. It was very tasty, but having the oven on when it's over 80 degrees, not my most brilliant idea. Ranee (MN)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rae,
      I have never cooked pork chops in the oven. I may follow your method and cook some. Surely I have pork chops in the freezer. Maybe I need to buy some chives, too. Cooking in the oven when it is 80 degrees always sounds like a good idea until I have had to deal with the heat afterwards. Well, I hope you enjoyed the meal as it sounds delicious. How do you make sour cream dressing?

      Delete
    2. I don't measure, but I think you are a good cook, so would know, by taste what may be needed. I use about a cup of sour cream, a couple of TBS of white wine vinegar, 2 or 3 TBS of sugar, 1/2 tsp of dried dill week and a pinch of salt. You can add pepper also, if you like. I pour it over a sliced English cuke and sliced vidalia onion. I do remove the seeds from the cuke. We like it on the sweeter side, but 2 TBS may be enough for your liking. I like the tartness of the WWV and the sweet of the sugar. Ranee

      Delete
    3. Rae,
      Thanks. I can figure that and definitely would use less dill. I will give it a try.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...