Monday, May 15, 2023

Mother's Day Treat & Preferences

 I decided well before Mother's Day that I was going to make a dish Tommy objects to eating--Mediterranean Pasta. Well, he ate it even with basil in it and other ingredients he has said he does not like. 

While I had decided to have this treat and let him eat leftovers, I did not plan to make it on Mother's Day.  You have to believe that he in incredibly kind, nice to me...until he explodes in nastiness and downright cruelty. He made Mother's Day this year one of the worst days of my life. I told him I wanted Jim n Nick. We each had a bbq sandwich. I did learn something. When I asked for slaw on my bbq, the woman said, "Oh, you want a Memphis BBQ?" She explained that bbq with slaw on it was "Memphis BBQ." I told her I was from Memphis and did not know that. So, she called me Memphis from then on. 

Today, Tuesday, I had slept for over 8 hours, did nothing much and decided to cook. So, I had Tommy fry the little pieces of chicken in a skillet with olive oil while I assembled the rest of the ingredients. There are a lot of recipes for Mediterranean pasta, but the ingredients I used were different.

chicken breast

sundried tomatoes

artichoke hearts quartered

feta cheese

olive oil

basil

pasta

I forgot I had sundried tomatoes, so cut up a whole package of grape tomatoes. Then, I found the sundried tomatoes, so the recipe got both. I forgot I needed artichoke hearts so thought we could do without. Nope. Found a bottle on the shelf. 

After I had mentioned feta cheese tonight, Tommy said I have some in the refrigerator.  So, I won't have to buy any for next time. I had told Tommy that feta cheese in the deli was more expensive that feta from the packaged cheese section. That is when he told me I had a chunk in the refrigerator. So, I will break that down before I make this dish again. 

Then, instead of serving the dish over angel hair pasta, I put a bag of cooked rotini in the skillet with the other the other ingredients and stirred it. I have used penne in the past. 

I am stuffed and cannot wait until tomorrow to eat more. Tommy needs to lay off it, though. I am serious.

Is there anything you love and your SO or kids says they hate and then he eat it? 

Is there anything you are grateful he does not like? Tommy hates bananas.

18 comments:

  1. If anyone in the family asks for something specific to eat I will consider making it, but normally whoever does the cooking (me) gets to decide what everyone is eating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      That is only fair. But, has anyone said that he or she does not like something, then proceeded to eat it.

      Delete
  2. Slaw on pork bbq sandwich is a Carolina and Lower Virginia thing. I had bbq in Memphis and there was no slaw to be found.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. slugmama,
      Tommy and I were talking earlier and he told me slaw on bbq was a South Carolina thing. As for your experience, in all the years I lived in Memphis, all bbq sandwiches had slaw on them. So, I don't know why yours had no slaw. Maybe an interloper has opened a different kind of bbq place in Memphis.

      Delete
  3. My husband always said that he didn't like salmon patties at all. Would not eat them. I only ever made them when he had some reason to not be at home when I was eating, so could make them for myself only. Just over four years ago, I bought a Southern Keto cookbook and he made them for me one night. He has eaten them ever since.

    I'm sorry you had a bad day on Mother's day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      It amazes me when people do that. Keto salmon croquettes sounds great. Gritty in those would not affect the taste. What is the name of the cookbook?
      He is a jerk.

      Delete
    2. It is Southern Keto: 100+ Traditional Food Favorites for Low Carb by Natasha Newton.

      Delete
    3. Alice, thank you for that book recommendation! I just bought a cheap used copy from eBay! Southern cuisine is glorious, and Southern Keto is even better!

      Delete
    4. Thanks, Alice. I will get one, too.

      Delete
    5. For what it's worth, the Southern Keto cookbook can be a bit pretentious and superfluous in the recipes. My favorite cookbook is "The Easy 5-Ingredient Ketogenic Diet Cookbook: Low-Carb, High-Fat Recipes for Busy People on the Keto Diet" and for free on DietDoctor.com, click Low Carb recipes. There are breakfast, lunch, dinner, party, and snack recipes. I think the simpler, the better.

      Delete
    6. Alice,
      Thanks for the additional resources.

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear that Tommy was an assclown on Mother's Day. But, usually you just call that "Tuesday," right? Nothing new there!

    That woman who served you is an idiot. Memphis BBQ has nothing to do with slaw! It's about the rub/sauce. Sheesh. I'm not from the South and even I know that! SMH that she's even allowed to work at a BBQ joint with that level of ignorance.

    Yes, DS will always say he doesn't like something, and then proceed to eat it later. I can't offer him a grilled cheese or a ham sandwich because he always protests, "MOM! YOU KNOW I DON'T EAT GRILLED CHEESE OR HAM!!!!" And will then proceed to eat a Cubano (grilled cheese/ham/pork) a few days later. Yep, he's my own little Tommy In Training. But without the nastiness! He is NOT rude!

    He recently went to a Balkan restaurant with friends and devoured their small plates menu offerings. Lamb, pesto, pepper croquettes, carpaccio, steak tartare, Balkan kebab--he tried everything and said it was all amazing. Yeah. He's a nutcase. But I'm happy that he does have an adventurous palate, even if it's not in my own home.

    DH likes everything I make, and enjoys leftovers, too. That alone qualifies him for sainthood, in my book. DD has turned out to be a better cook than her Momma. While I am all about the flavor, she is about the flavor AND presentation. She sends me pics of her dinners, and they are magazine worthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I warned Tommy this morning that I will give him what he can have of the Mediterranean pasta. I will give him all the grape tomatoes and both of us get more of the sundried. I get all the breast nuggets; he gets his thigh. And, I will season the rest of the pasta so we both have a meal.
      At least your husband likes your cooking. I have complaints. There are days when presentation is important. But, some days, it is just food. I am sure your daughter knows how proud you are of her accomplishments.
      You can be grateful your son is polite in company. I am amazed at what Tommy will eat at a church dinner. He even finishes food that is awful.
      I just have no opinion of bbq, just know what I like. Maybe I should study it.

      Delete
  5. YES! I have often experienced a kid (or even my husband) claiming they hate something, only to have them eat it enthusiastically.
    My favorite experience in such is my husband telling me, shortly after we met, that he didn't care for things like cake and cookies, as he found them too dry and tasteless. I baked a scratch cake, and he had a piece when he was visiting. He later said it was the best cake he had ever had, and asked me what kind. I told him "chocolate cake with chocolate icing." He asked "But Duncan Hines, Betty Crocker?" I told him to get the *#&% out of my house. I never tolerated picky eating or editorial comments at the table. Also, if I made something a kid once claimed to "hate," and then said kid expressed an interest in it, I would clap back with, "Oh, no, you don't like them."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is funny about what brand. Box mixes are drier than scratch. Maybe his mother was not a good cook...lol. Oh, yes, I loved to tease a kid and deny whatever they decided the now loved. Of course, I did give the kid whatever it was after teasing. My son was the worst about this.

      Delete
  6. What really gets me is that my husband insists he can not/will bot/ hates an ingredient or a spice. I just nod and make it my way. Poor guy has no clue that he has been eating onions, onion powder and a few other things for 10 years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      I do understand. Tommy hate basil and groans when he sees the word on a pasta jar. I tell him the way I fix it, he won't know it is in the sauce. Yes, I just pour it on his spaghetti. It is funny he has no clue.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...