Tuesday, May 2, 2023

To Plant Pumpkin Seeds

 


That is my plan. However, all the talk about mounds and hills did not help me. So, I took to the internet. A mound keeps the seeds warm. Really? How? I read for a long time and came across a loophole in the mound/hill suggestion or, rather, rule. 

One person suggested that the Indians poked around with a stick loosening the soil. The planted seeds in the mound they dug up, it worked, they had pumpkins, and so everyone followed suit. I am going with this explanation. 

Several persons made the same observation I did--pumpkin patches are not full of hills. They are flat. So, my little pumpkin patch will be flat. 

I have the raised boxes in the back yard. I will have Tommy poke some seeds in the boxes. I have to be honest, any pumpkin that wants to grow will have to be determined. It is difficult for Tommy to get back there, and almost impossible for me. There is nothing upon which to sit. Remember, we have no back door. The door in the carport has steps straight down and against the utility room wall.  There may be nine inches between bottom step and the wall. There is no suggestion that will help except a back door or a stair lift. 

The pack of pumpkin seeds says "Jack O'Lantern. So, maybe that is what we will get--decoration for Halloween. 

I hear it is not yet pumpkin planting time. These were free seeds, so I have nothing to lose. I have boxes of dirt, so planting is the only answer...lol. 

Yesterday and today, we have spent too much energy picking up plants that have blown over or blown off the porch or ramp. So, I decided to put that energy into placing them where they will not blow with the wind. 

Has the wind been fierce where you live? 

Have you ever planted pumpkins? 

Have you ever planted pumpkins? 

10 comments:

  1. Pumpkins and melons take up too much garden space for me to bother with ever planting them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      That is a great reason not to plant them. However, I have four boxes that have not been used in three years and free seeds, so I will plant them with little expectation of a great harvest.

      Delete
  2. There has been more wind this spring than I ever remember. We have wind advisories at least once a week. Monday my hubby found an empty fish food bag at the front door. It had previously been on the back porch with some food left in it. It must have taken quite the adventure to get there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      The interstate wreck caused by the wind was horrific. I wonder how the bag did travel to get all the way around the house. ??? I had a plant that came with the pretty foil wrap around the pot. The next day, the pot had fallen over and the wrap was gone. I watched up and down the street, thinking I would see it plastered to a fence or shrubs. Nope. Gone. I was not going to rescue it, just wondered.

      Delete
  3. We had a windstorm fairly recently, but nothing compared to the wind in November which took out power for days. (We have a standby generator.) DD couldn't get home after work due to the road to our property being closed to a fallen tree. It took her over 1 1/2 hours to go 18 miles.I got a call at midnight--she had gone to her godparents' house, and phoned us to stay she was spending the night there...she was quite shaken. She said it was like it was snowing tree limbs. Windstorms are common here.
    I've grown pumpkins many times. My favorite to grow are Jack Be Little, and Baby Boo because they don't take up much room. One year, on our farm, we planted Jack O' Lanterns (like what you have). They overtook our garden. As Anne said, they take up a lot of room, but I still love to grow them. Also, the jack o'lantern pumpkins are not really good for culinary purposes. They're meant for quick profit in pumpkin patches, then harvested for cattle feed. You CAN cook with them, but they are mealy, stringy, and somewhat flavorless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg,
      That was a bad windstorm! I am glad your daughter had a place to stay. "[S]nowing tree limbs" sounds quite dangerous.

      These pumpkins were among seeds we could have at a gardening event. So, that is why I have this particular seed. These boxes out back should hold at least one pumpkin each. However, I will have Tommy put about six seeds in one box and we might have one plant. I will not ask him to water four boxes. I want these for the porch, so no problem trying to eat them. Whatever ate my squash might just like pumpkins! I bet cattle like pumpkins. I know my chickens did.

      Delete
  4. Growing pumpkins are fun to watch! I hope you end up with a bounty of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      Enough for the front porch will be great. Thanks. We need a bit of luck.

      Delete
  5. Cattle love pumpkins! And so do pigs, goats, and just about every other critter out there. If I set my jack-o-lanterns out too early, the squirrels, mice, and chipmunks would feast on them.

    My folks never grew pumpkins because, as everyone else says, they took up too much space. They grew cantaloupe instead, which also took up a lot of space, but were infinitely more tasty. There was no better summer breakfast than a freshly-picked ripe melon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I just hope critters don't munch on them on the vine. Tommy's yard is fenced in, so just mice and chipmunks and squirrels will have access. I gave my chickens a whole pumpkin and, unbelievably, they pecked eyes, nose, and a mouth in it.
      You and my mother could have had breakfast together. I hate canteloupe!!!!

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...