Tuesday, May 9, 2023

This and That, Nothing Much

 There is usually one question we mull every day--is it going to rain. We need to know this in order to decided whether Tommy needs to water the flowers and berries or not. We debate this, watching the weather and radar channel. Today, while I slept for a bit, he did water plants. When I awoke, I heard lots of thunder. He commented that it did rain all around us, just not here. It is dark, I still hear thunder, and it has not rained. It seems Tuscaloosa is getting lots of rain and maybe flooding. hmmm

Today, there was a hummingbird at the fuschia plant. The sight still thrills me every time I see it. 

We cancelled something today because it appeared rain would be a problem. Of course, it did not rain where we were going to be driving. 

Remember the freezing/blasting that was done to my arm yesterday. Well, the bandage fell off about two minutes after I applied it. AND, the smaller one blasted is twice the size of the larger one and has a huge blister on top. I am not sure what is happening. 

I needed a2milk on Saturday as I only had a partial half-gallon. Well, Tuesday was the next delivery day and they were out of all types of a2milk. Today, I purchased two half-gallons. They were an astronomical--$4.99! Is scarcity driving this price hike? 

When I went in to buy milk, I bought Tommy a package of Juicy Fruit chewing gum. His chewing drives me crazy. His storage of the gum and chewing the next day drives me past crazy. But, he loves it. 

Speaking of chewing, I think I crumbled off a piece of filling while chewing meatloaf. ugh

Every time I awake, I think Tommy has called me and told me to get up. Every time I am wrong. I laugh at myself. If I lie down at 4 pm, I will tell him to wake me if I am not awake at 7 pm. Really, I only want to sleep until 6 pm, but figure if I am really sleepy, I may need to sleep until 7 pm. But, I do not want to sleep four or more hours. I do clearly and distinctly hear him calling my name to wake me when he does not. This is really strange to me. 

We had one small chore along with buying milk, and these chores wore me to a frazzle!

On Saturday, April 22, we bought a gallon of pretty strawberries for $20. I was down with an upper respiratory infection on Sunday and the first of the week so forgot about them. I think Tommy started eating them on Wednesday. I encouraged him to eat them up. He came in with huge bowls of strawberries, eating them with his hand. 

Finally, 13 days later, I ate two berries when he warned me there were only four berries left. Not one of the berries in the bottom of the plastic bucket was bad. I was shocked. Usually strawberries don't last that long with disintegrating or molding. I certainly hope to find the people who sold these.

Tonight, we ate the rest of the meatloaf I made last week, the slaw I made over the we1ekend, and fresh corn on the cob. It was a wonderful meal. There is more slaw and corn, so tomorrow, I will cook protein or find something protein in the freezer. Frozen chicken and new red potatoes are thawing in the refrigerator. I was thinking I would make salmon croquettes, but maybe not. I had blueberries for lunch and will have apple and strawberries for later tonight.

Are you getting rain? Do you watch for rain when planning your watering?

Have you had strawberries last almost two weeks without losing a portion of a berry or two?



4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have a built in alarm clock!!!!
    I keep my berries in covered glass jars in the frig. I put them in the jar as soon as I get home - no washing - straight in jar. I wash when I use. They last ages that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      I don't know what it is. But, I sometimes decided not to listen to him. I am always shocked he said nothing to me.
      This is something I have read, putting berries in a glass jar. Some day, I will try this. But, I never wash any produce until I am ready to use it. Maybe I will place my berries in a glass jar one of these days.

      Delete
  2. Oh I would love rain! And some thunder too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      We get plenty. How about a couple of buckets full of soft rainwater?

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...