Thursday, June 22, 2023

Cole Slaw Recipe and Two Other Hot Weather Recipes

 This is how I make it. I can barely type because this has been such a horrible day. Here goes. Do not expect measurements. Kim, I did this today for you.

shredded cabbage and carrots

big glop of Miracle Whip, about the size of two extra-large eggs

some yellow mustard about two tsps or what pleases you, more or less

sugar, maybe two tsps? more or less, Tommy likes this amount and I like less

1/4 or less of salt

two dashes of pepper from McCormick can

vinegar, 1 tsp of whatever type you like

I never make a dressing, just drop it all on top of cabbage/carrots, starting with mayo and ending with vinegar.

This is delicious when it is just made, so it does not have to sit to blend flavors like I see in some recipes.

I love red cabbage, but the slaw turns pink after it sits overnight. It appears to be spoiled to me. So, I try to buy the mix without red cabbage. Dole has lots of carrots, so I prefer that. 

The only reason I quit grating cabbage was because I injured my hand in my 40s and bought the mix after that. 

Another thing I do that does not affect taste. I put salt in first and then pepper so I know that if I see pepper, I have also salted. And, the vinegar is the last thing I put in so it is poured over the salt, pepper, and sugar. I think it blends better or maybe I am deluded. 

One more thing--dice a nice juicy tomato or more and put tomato and juice into the slaw and stir. I was grossed out when I saw slaw I had to eat with tomato in it, but it was delicious. I rarely do this, but it is good. I love to entertain and cook. However, it is hard on anyone. I really enjoy having prepared dishes. 

Two other things I serve. I hate both--sliced cantaloupe, not chunked, and just cantaloupe and a drained can of peas, cubes of cheese, grape tomatoes or diced, and MW or mayo. I don't/won't eat either cantaloupe or peas, but these are easy and colorful dishes for a table of things that call for a hot stove. I can make slaw, peas/cheese, and slice a cantaloupe in an hour. Or, I can make all three over the course of the day. The cheese might look unappetizing once it sits in mayo. But, oh well! Eat it! It's good for you!

If you use my recipe, let me know if you like it.

Tommy just arrived in a Lyft. I will explain tomorrow.

So sad that the submersible is lost along with five lives. 



19 comments:

  1. That is how I measure - a bit of this and that or a dollop of this. I hardly ever measure. My sil has always put diced tomato in slaw and it is a family favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      So, the recipe is understandable? lol I have never had it anywhere except the one place.

      Delete

  2. Can't stand Miracle Whip so this won't be made in my home. MW already has a good bit of sugar in it so why add more??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. slugmama,
      I am not trying to convert anyone. It is my recipe and someone asked me how I made my coleslaw. I don't add much sugar, but Tommy likes it sweeter. So, I add more sugar and less vinegar. I can eat MW with a spoon but don't.

      Delete
  3. Yum, we love coleslaw here. That is so sad about the sub. It just breaks my heart for them. 😢

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      It is good year round for me. At least they did not die a slow and horrible death.

      Delete
  4. Ditto with Sluggy--I despise Miracle Whip--it's what my mother used, probably because it was cheaper than mayonnaise. For the longest time, I thought it was mayonnaise I disliked, until around age 12 or so, I had real mayonnaise at a friend's house when we were making submarine sandwiches. I don't dislike it as much as Miracle Whip, but I prefer to use sour cream in most things instead of mayonnaise. I also don't order it if I ever eat out, for fear I'll get Miracle Whip. My coleslaw recipe is 2Tbsp vinegar (I use more) to dissolve 1/4 cup (I use much less) sugar. Then a 2:1 ratio of mayonnaise to sour cream, a Tbsp of orange juice if I have it, and lots of black pepper. I pour that over a bag of coleslaw. I had a cabbage shredder (looks like a washing board) but life's too short to shred cabbage for coleslaw. I am on the search for a good vinegar coleslaw recipe, as I prefer it to the creamy type. I've yet to get the exact mix to suit my tastes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg,
      That is how I feel about mayo. When I was a child, my aunt only used mayo, and it was agony to have to eat a sandwich with mayo on it. I have never heard of oj in coleslaw...interesting. Thanks for that. I think I might like sour cream. My box grater was what I used to grate cabbage.

      Delete
  5. Hubby has me not but the MW on it, he puts it on when he eats it. I don't eat peas that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      Well, that is one way to make slaw, I suppose, but I never heard of putting MW on slaw when a person eats it. I don't eat peas either and rarely make the pea salad.

      Delete
  6. I make coleslaw pretty much just like you except with Mayo (sorry I am also a MW hater, but to each their own!) and no mustard. I never heard of putting mustard in coleslaw but might try it, I bet it's good!

    Somehow I read your other recipes as having both the cantaloupe AND the canned peas all together & was so put off by that combo especially with the mayo, I almost gagged haha! I could NOT understand why you would do such a thing! You clearly stated there were 2 things you make but I obviously missed that part, it took me a minute to re-read again to realize they are indeed two separate dishes - phew! LOL

    I will try your pea salad with fresh garden peas or maybe even thawed frozen peas but I cannot stand and will not eat canned peas, in fact I think they ought to be banned LOL ;) Perhaps you'd like peas better if they weren't canned??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bri,
      If slaw is going on hotdogs or be served with hotdogs, lots of mustard is necessary in slaw. I really don't mind having more in slaw at any time.

      I do that when I read and have to reread, sometimes several times before I get it straight. Tomatoes go into the peas and cheese. Not only can I not stand peas, but I am allergic. So, I was not being picky. However, cantaloupe is gross to me. No, no mayo or MW in cantaloupe. lol

      Delete
  7. I use Mayo, mustard, Apple Cider Vinegar, and about a tablespoon of bacon grease in my coleslaw. To get a hint of sweet, I use a squirt of Pyure, a Stevia sweetener. This keeps it sugar free for my formerly diabetic husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      That is similar to mine. Just no mustard. "Formerly?" I have read that if a person is diabetic, they are always diabetic.

      Delete
    2. I could talk about this for days.Type 1 diabetes means the pancreas has stopped making insulin. So they are diabetic forever. Type II diabetes is where metabolic disease and insulin resistance have taken over requiring a person to take medication (or so most people believe). If a T II diabetic will stop eating the things that caused the disease, you can reverse it. No sugar, no starch, VERY low carb.

      Delete
    3. Alice,
      Thanks. I thought it was true for all diabetics. So, the ate better. Good for him.

      Delete
  8. I have never made my own cole slaw. I should give it a try. Curious you use Miracle Whip. Do you prefer this to Mayo?

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...