Saturday, June 10, 2023

Small Projects and Oregano

Do you have small projects that seems to take forever to start? I do. I absolutely know why I don't accomplish hard projects, lengthy projects. However, I do know that in most cases I only need to break it down into smaller tasks. This was not always the case, but now it is necessary.

Then, there are the small projects that do not need to be broken down because they are already very small. Well, I finally did one of those today. I have two small plastic bins in a cabinet where I store spices. I need this because I cannot see into the cabinet. And, I cannot stand long enough to shuffle through them. 

Today, I had Tommy bring the baking pan and the two bins with spices to me. I took all the spices and wrote down what I had. Now, I won't have to stand to see what I actually have and what I need to replace or just buy for the first time. I have managed to get them all into glass bottles, so that is a great accomplishment for me. Tommy washed the bins and then replaced all the spices with spices for sweets in one bin and spices for savory foods in the other. 

While I was at it, I removed three spice blends that had salt in them. That way, I don't have to limit flavor to limit salt. Two are expired. I will give the avocado toast seasoning (sale) away. 

I use all of these or will, except for the ground mustard:

ground mustard

minced onion

parsley

oregano

celery seed

ginger

dill weed

rubbed sage

nutmeg

Italian seasoning

onion powder

garlic powder

summer savory

nutmeg

sweet basil

Grill Mates Smokehouse Maple

2 ground cinnamon ???

bay leaves

Dash salt free

thyme

Wyler's Reduced Sodium cubes, chicken flavor

Whole Cloves

ground cloves

pumpkin pie spice

another vanilla

Mexican vanilla extract

Stevia drops

Sweet oregano and spearmint drops

Salt and pepper are on the shelf in front of the bins. 

Even though the chicken is cooked and off the bone and I am using frozen dumplings and have broth, I have lost the urge to cook. Like Tommy said, we do have plenty that is cooked/prepared that we need to eat. 

For lunch I was having a chicken breast sandwich with MW on Arnold's Keto bread. Suddenly, it occurred to me that oregano on the sandwich might be delicious. So, I sprinkled some on a bite. It was so good that I sprinkled it on the whole sandwich. Tommy refused to try it. Oregano will be a regular on my sandwich from now on. I wondered if it would be good on peanut butter. I tried oregano on a bit of pb, and it was delicious, too. 

Last night, I slept ten hours, mostly because my feet were not cold. I forgot to lower the thermostat. Tommy said he woke sweating and turned it down...lol. We need a programmable thermostat to lower the temperature near morning when the house is heating up. 

Today was an exceptionally good day. Then, Tommy started being mean. It seems I ask too many questions. I thought it was a conversation. 

I need to decide what I need in the way of a spice rack, one that can be taken with me. I have been thinking about the design. It needs to be where I can close it in order to block light to protect the potency of the spices. 

So, today was mostly a spice day. Where do you store your spices? 


10 comments:

  1. I store all my spices in the basement in heavy plastic or glass. I have over 100 spices and herbs (habit from working as a chef). Kids always ask if I have something before they go buy it. Come to think of of it, M does also now and so does E's mother. I do need to reorganize the shelves as my herbs from the gardens are in gallon jars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      You have 100 gallons of spices? That's a lot. Do you have to go downstairs each time you cook for ingredients? I cannot even think of 100 spices...lol. It is good you can have things people need.

      Delete
  2. sounds like you accomplished much. That is great. My spices I use daily are in a kitchen cabinet - extras on a special shelf built on the door of the pantry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      I did not put things in little glass jars yesterday, just determined what I had, so not as much as it sounded like I did--small project.

      Delete
  3. LOL!! Chef Owings didn't say she had 100 gallons of spices! She has over 100 types of spices. And the dried herbs from her garden are stored in gallon jars.

    Ground mustard is a wonderful way to add depth of flavor to ground meats and mac & cheese. I would use 1 tsp for 1 lb of ground meat, or, as an example, 1/2 tsp for a box of mac & cheese.
    I use Coleman's ground mustard because it has the best flavor.

    I store my spices in my kitchen cabinets. The lesser-used ones are in a plastic box in a nearby closet. I don't have over 100 spices like Chef, but I do have quite a few.

    BTW, I love Grill Mates Smokehouse Maple! Oh, it smells SO GOOD! Just had some last night on a grilled turkey bacon cheeseburger--yum!

    Oregan on a chicken sammie sounds very good.
    But on PB? Uh, NO!

    And yet -- like so many other things you mention on your blog, if i try it, I will find out you are right! Maybe I'll work up the courage to sprinkle some oregano on my next bite of PB.

    Tell Tommy he's a big ol' Poopyhead and give him the silent treatment. Refuse to answer his next question and see how he likes it. And then, finally, tell him, "You talk too much!!" Dish it up COLD, Linda! :^D :^D :^D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I do love Grill Mates Smokehouse Maple! Tommy really likes it, too.
      Oregano on my chicken sandwich will be a regular. Try it on a pbj sandwich.
      You better believe I am cold!!!

      Delete
  4. I am fortunate to have one entire cabinet filled with herbs, spices and blends. Like Chef Owings I have a lot more than you have listed but I like highly flavored foods.and use them regularly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      That is a lot of spices! Those were all I have, about 30.

      Delete
  5. The spices are all on a hanging shelf on the door inside the larder. I try to keep them in some sort of order.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...