Sunday, June 11, 2023

Sunday Easy Cooking and Plant ID

 Sunday slept over 8 hours.

Did nothing. 

Went looking for a food truck. 

I had a 9 gram carb lunch.

Made up for it when I made and ate chicken and dumplings and followed that by baked bread and butter. 

I boiled bought, frozen dumplings in broth and water, seasoned with salt, pepper, and rubbed sage. Since cooking the hen in the crockpot was done Friday and the dumplings were done. This was simple. 

The dumplings were thin and looked like pie crust. Mine are thicker, soft, and flour-y. So, I put these into flour. That way, the broth on the chicken and dumplings was white and thicker with flour. This dish tasted almost like my mother made.

I ate these by dipping cooked dumplings and broth into a bowl and then putting in the amount of chicken I wanted. So did Tommy. I suppose there is enough chicken left for 2 more meals for him. I have two more meals from the breasts. So, he had three meals, and I had four. That is 7 meals from one hen. I think he had another meal, really, so 8 meals. 

We also have a bit of meatloaf from what we thawed. It will be eaten tomorrow. That means I have to cook on Tuesday! Rats!

One of the blue pots of wildflowers is about two feet tall, maybe shorter. The flowers are tiny clusters. One day, a flower that looked like a red poppy bloomed, too, on the same stalk as the little purple clusters of flowers. Today, the wind blew off the red flower that looked like a poppy. Does anyone know what this flower can be?

The bachelor buttons should be blooming by tomorrow as they are opening and showing color. It should storm here in a bit. I just hope it blows none of my pots off the ramp or table.

How are your flowers? Hosta? Vegetables?

8 comments:

  1. I use canned biscuits... the small ones for dumplings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try the app SEEK . It's a free app that identifies plants and critters that from a photo you take.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, my container radish experiment is a bust, apparently. I noticed one plant had exploded and grew a flower stalk. I did not know this variety (watermelon radish) did that. So I assumed that radish was mature and pulled it up.

    Lots of healthy leaves, a strong stem, and a flower stalk. But no radish! Just a thin root with no bulge whatsoever! Now THAT is disappointing! Those plants had 9 inches of soil to push into, so it's not like they had no space.

    I will pull up a few other big ones and see if all of them are stunted. If so, I will continue the experiment one step further and use the greens raw for salads or sautee them. And then plant cucumber starts in their place, and see if I can't get a cuke or two for my troubles.

    Ah, Nature! She gives and then she doesn't. LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Nothing like pulling a radish and there is no radish. Can you still eat the thin root. It seems like a cucumber would have a larger harvest.

      Delete
  4. PS: I just washed and tasted the raw leaves from the watemelon radish I pulled. It's delicious! Very peppery, like arugula.

    Salad, here I come! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      At least you have something from the plant. Good for you.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...