Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Tuesday in a Haze

 Monday night, I decided to take a prescription prescribed to me after I asked about a cure for a problem. This problem is a big problem, but not a problem with a cure. The prescription is for another problem, depression, but not prescribed to me for that. So, I took the prescription in the afternoon on Monday. Until Wednesday morning, I was in a fog. 

Tuesday, I had no affect. I had no ambition. I even went to bed for two hours and just lay there, unable to sleep. I cannot imagine how this med could cure depression. Or, maybe it is meant to mask feelings? But, all feelings? I managed to get in the car and put the seat back while Tommy was out. Then, I just rode with the seat back. I have never done that. 

I hated the feeling, so I will never take that med again. 

Tuesday night while still in a fog, I had to think about a Wednesday appointment. No food after midnight and no water after 7:30 am. Well, I awoke after six solid hours of sleep. However, my throat hurt, was dry, and I was trying to stifle a cough and sinuses were draining. Yep. Awful. Not thinking, I grabbed water and gulped it. It didn't matter since the drive was iffy with tornado talk, at least storms. So, I cancelled the appointment. I really needed this appointment to stretch my esophagus so I won't choke on food!

Dinner: corn on the cob, peas, baked chicken for Tommy. I don't know what I want. 

I boiled the corn and it is hard and not so tasty. I think it was old. The last we had was sweet and juicy and tender. 

I cannot imagine how anyone takes an antidepressant and functions! I feel like I lost a day. Everyone promises me I will not feel so groggy, so blank, so much brain fog if I give it two days or two weeks. However, dizziness and nausea are not something I want to endure. I commented on a few blogs and typing were difficult. Plus, there was no promise that the antidepressant would alleviate the first problem. The doctor who prescribed it told me he tried it and quit because it did not help. 

Now, I am fighting the sinus infection with otc products. Of course, we watch the weather to determine how bad the storms will be, maybe dangerous. 

Today, we made our trek to three grocery stores to collect the ads. We missed the pork butt at $1.78 two weeks ago, and bought it for $1.89 last week, and it is $1.78 again this week. Right now, Tommy is going over the ads, circling things we want, things he wants, and things he thinks I might want. Then, I will go over the ads and we will discuss what we want to buy. It is a process rather than what we see and want, missing deals. We make a list after discussing the choices we underline. 

Now, I need to survey the Father's Day ads for tools I need or might need. Of course, I am not looking for power tools! I have always thought FD sales were better than Mother's Day sales. 

Do you look at Father's Day sales for things you want or need as opposed to giving something to a father?

Have you found that antidepressants side effects are unbearable?

Is there anything good in your grocery ads this week?

16 comments:

  1. I have never taken any medication, but from what I understand about antidepressants, is that they help IF you are depressed - if not, you have adverse affects. I have known folks who just couldn't take them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      The only advice I have ever gotten is to hang in there, that the bad effects will go away and the good effects will kick in. I found myself off the interstate in the grass way down in the median with three children in the car, so I quit taking them.

      Delete
    2. Cheryl, I have heard that too!

      Delete
    3. obscure,
      I suppose a med cannot cure a problem that is not present. And, it is not strange to me that it could cause a problem.

      Delete
  2. Daughter 3, Daughter 4, Son 2 and I went holistic for that reason.
    We don't get grocery ads at all. The only grocery stores are a small Walmart and a Save-A-Lot. Kroger's closed and the store that was supposed to come in didn't

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      I would be devastated if I had a Kroger and it closed. I have not lived near a Kroger in years. That is where we always shopped when I was at home and first married.
      This is the last time I will ever take an antidepressant even if I am depressed. A nurse friend commented after I complained of the doctor wanting to give me an antidepressant that I was the least depressed person she knew.

      Delete
  3. Okay, your first paragraph was as convoluted as they come.

    Let me get this straight:
    1. You have a big problem with no cure
    2. Some doctor (presumably not a psychiatrist, who is a full MD who specializes in the mind) prescribed you an antidepressant for some unknown reason.
    3 You decided to take the antidepressant to address the big problem with no cure.
    4 The antidepressant (which was not prescribed to you specifically for depression) made you feel weird.

    Jesus God in Heaven, Linda--what did you expect?!?

    You're already have a vast, complicated myriad of physical issues. You're allergic to all kinds of foods. You're allergic to the AIR, for chrissakes. You pop pills like M&Ms. And then you just decide out of nowhere to take an antidepressant on top of all your other OTC/prescribed meds??

    First off, you don't get an antidepressant from an ordinary MD. Issues of the mind can't just be treated by popping a pill--talk therapy is the most vital part of any treatment protocol. No pills without therapy/monitoring. Anything less is malpractice. You wouldn't get kidney meds from a hairdresser, and you don't get antidepressants from anyone other than a psychologist.

    A psychologist would be HORRIFIED that you got antidepressants for no discernable reason, AND that you were taking them to treat something else entirely!

    Does any one of your doctors know the full list of drugs (both OTC and prescribed) that you take and is monitoring their interactions?

    I'm sorry to sound so harsh, but what you did is reckless and irresponsible and you're lucky you just got off with feeling numb. The doctor who gave you that antidepressant should be censured.

    And Chef, not to pick on you, but true depression can't be cured with herbs. It takes proper meds, proper monitoring, talk therapy, and working on changing one's mindset (Cognitive Behavior Therapy) to properly treat it. Any lesser approach is bandaids.

    This alarmist talk of "antidepressants is so bad cuz they made me feel icky!!!" is one of my hot buttons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I beg your pardon. I am NOT popping pills. I am not being treated for depression, so no lectures. This med is used for my problem. The doctor took it himself. He quit because it did not work for him.
      I am not depressed so no lectures to me. And, Chef has her reasons and maybe she is right. If it works for her, who cares?
      Okay, that is your hot button, but it is true for me.

      Delete
    2. I think the world of you, Linda. You are loaded with wisdom and funny as heck. If I knew you in real life, I'd probably like you even MORE.

      I apologize for saying you pop pills like M&Ms--that was wrong of me and a cheap shot. More accurate to say that you have a lot of conditions (like your frequent sinus/UTI infections) that require a lot of intervention. Understandable.

      I'm sorry you have a problem with no cure (per your exact words). But trying to cure a problem that is not depression with an antidepressant is folly.

      Especially given that you are forced to take a lot of meds to deal with your frequent illnesses. Because of that your potential for bad interaction is sky-high. Antidepressants are very tricky all on their own; for example, there are many that should never be taken in conjunction with decongestants.

      I think your doc was negligent in encouraging you to try that antidepressant. You're not a lab rat.

      Delete
    3. Sue, You are mistaken. Antidepressants ARE prescribed by M.D.s in addition to psychologists.

      Delete
    4. Janet,
      You are absolutely correct. Thanks for that.

      Delete
  4. After seeing how antidepressents affected my mom, I doubt I would ever take any. After she started taking them she got really unfocused. Trying to have a phone conversation with her and she was just jumping from subject to subject. She also gained about 50 pounds after starting them. No thank you. Not worth it to me, especially when (supposedly) for her she was just put on them for mild anxiety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      Tommy said I talked to low and was not making sense. I had no ambition. No thank you to weight gain!

      Delete
  5. Rx of that nature: they should start low and slow as there usually are side effects but hopefully in time they stop and the 'good stuff' kicks in. If not, time for another.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...