Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Death Valley and Cutting Hair

 These two topics have absolutely nothing to do with each other. 

I absolutely want to go to Death Valley to feel the record-breaking heat. Neither of us can drive that far. Tommy would fund it. I am ready to go, just need a driver. At least, there would be no humidity. Right? Have you ever been to Death Valley? Experienced heat so high? I/We would leave tomorrow. I want to take my picture by the thermometer...really, I want to experience the heat. 

Today, I managed to do one more thing on my 8-item list I made on Sunday. I cut Tommy's hair. He was worse than a two-year-old! We are laughing now, but it was bedlam earlier. But, I can no longer stomp around in frustration...lol. 

Since I am not going outside the cut his hair and no one is going to sweep hair from the kitchen floor, we worked on carpet. He got a sheet from the car and spread it out. Most of the sheet is back near his chair and not out front in a more open area to work. He assures me it will be okay. Okay, we will start.

Then, he got a towel to put around his shoulders, the thickest towel he has. Last time, he used the same towel and pulled it up around his neck where I could not see the bottom of his hair, much less get electric clippers in place to cut. AAAGH!!! He got all ready with a roll of towel around his hair. I told him to feel how his hair was covered up. So, he flipped his neck hair out like a woman or person with longer hair... but straight out. He thinks i can cut that way because his lady barber did. NOOOO!

So, this led to much screaming by both of us. He refused to use anything thinner. He swears that the barber uses a towel up close, yes, a thick, big towel. He says none of them use a drape like they use on women. I do not believe a word of this. And, he refused to just keep wearing the tshirt he was wearing. 

Then, he just threw the towel down and let the hair fall on him. Fine. So, I cut it, almost falling, almost passing out. It was easy but hard. He is fine with the length, one length all over. I put the trimmer too high on his neck and hate the way it looks but he says it is okay. Whew. He said it is too short on top. It is always too long or too short somewhere. He really likes the length of the sideburns. One time, I forgot to cut one side. I am not a professional, but I pretend to be one when I get scissors in my hand. 

Any haircut is better than him going back to his lady barber. Tommy is no way balding, just thinning hair. Yet, she makes a low part about a half inch above his ear with long hair combed up. He looks ridiculous when he makes a part, gets it wrong and he had three-inch hair hanging over his ear. He thought it looked fine and would not let me redo it. 

I asked him how it felt when I first finished. He said it was not so heavy. Then, later, he said he could "feel air blowing through my ears." His scalp and ears would burn now with no hair to protect them. 

He is in the kitchen making white sauce on his own. Usually, I get out the skillet, spatula, butter, flour, and milk, measuring it all. Today, I just sent him in. I am making a familiar casserole with new recipe I am making in my head. I just found him stirring in a skillet with a metal spoon...all this time. It is a pot that cannot take metal spoon stirring.

Both our casseroles have 1/2 cup of white sauce, 1/2 can of sodium free chicken soup, less than 1/2 cup of brown rice, onions, green beans, broccoli, dried parsley, and water. Mine will have cheese. These are two servings in each square, glass SnapLock dishes. I am using the whole package of frozen broccoli. It could be healthier, I suppose, but don't bother telling me. 

Well, he went rogue and put one of the casseroles is a glass dish with no Pam! Plus, it needed more water for the rice. So, that was sort of a redo for the one casserole that was mine. Plus, I needed to put cheese in before it was stirred. 

The reason I mixed these separately and baked in separate dishes is because he hates cheese in this and I want it.  The green beans I put in were left from two nights ago, the French Cut ones. 

He is a great help with cooking, but sometimes.....

I have never seen John Wick and I love Keanu Reeves. So, we are watching that tonight. 

Have you ever seen a large, thick bath towel in a barber shop? 

Don't they use the capes hairdressers use? 

6 comments:

  1. I like the idea of using two different casserole dishes like that. You can individualize each one for that particular person. Kudos to you giving Tommy a haircut. That will definitely save money. I’ve never been to Death Valley either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      I thought that would be best so I could have cheese and he would not dislike his food. I will have a cape before I give him the next haircut! He has not had a barbershop haircut since late 2018. We should go to Death Valley. Road Trip!!!

      Delete
  2. You really want to experience Death Valley heat?! That would be quite the drive for you across the country, about 29 hours - that's a LONG trip!! With gas, hotels, food and other travel incidentals, you might as well fly! It'd be much faster obviously but probably an easier trip for you as well, I can't imagine you enjoying that long of a car ride, but perhaps I am wrong. We were in Palm Springs a few years ago around this time of year and it was 124 degrees! It was absolutely miserable!! We both ended up with heat stroke & were quite ill so we lost a whole day & a half sleeping in the hotel with the AC blasting. At night, it only went down to 118 & even that was like a hot blow dryer blowing on you constantly, it was awful but better than in the day with the sun beating down on you as well!! It was so hot, it was difficult to breathe, it almost hurt. I really don't understand the allure of wanting to experience something so dreadful but apparently there are many people flocking to Death Valley right now to experience the heat. I just read an article about several people dying in their cars that had broken down in the heat or run out of gas, so sad! If you do go, please be super careful & make sure your car is running well, has plenty of gas & fluids & I would also pack a cooler full of ice and lots of water to keep yourselves cool! That would be quite an adventure for you guys though so I say go for it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bri,
      We know the danger if we are exposed. I would take all sorts of precautions. Tommy would rent a car since this one has 300K miles. We need a driver! As long as there is no humidity, I would be game. You were in the hospital? Heat stroke calls for medical intervention.
      I planned in my mind all the interventions so we would be safe. It would be a thrill.

      Delete
    2. Your current car has 300K miles?!? What model is it? That's impressive!! Well I really hope you find yourself a driver, I think that'd be quite an amazing adventure for you all! :) Nope there's NO humidity out there, it's all dry heat around these parts. If you do venture out west and if you happen to stop in Utah - let me know, I'll buy you dinner ;) I love how adventurous you are!!!!
      Also - you are correct, we had heat exhaustion NOT an actual heat stroke - I always get those mixed up - but I do know better LOL

      Delete
    3. Bri,
      That is what he said. I asked just now and he said 287K. Ha, we could push that over tomorrow. We would rent a car for that trek. It is making a noise that he swears he cannot hear. So, who knows. He might buy a new car...new to him.
      Dinner sounds great! Thanks!
      I always remember stroke is worse than exhaustion. Heat does zap me, but we don't plan on doing anything in the heat except drive along in ac.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...