Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Is Bamboo Sustainable? NO

While this article does not specifically mention bamboo, it foes address deforestation.

 deforestation

This biggest problem with bamboo is the way that it is typically farmed. Due to increasing popularity, large areas of land are being cleared to be planted with bamboo. This can lead to the displacement of wildlife and a decrease in the biodiversity of existing ecosystems.When bamboo is planted as a crop it’s also often done so as a monoculture. This means only bamboo is planted and all other varieties are removed.

Monocultures create problems for fungi, bacteria, insects and other smaller animals who rely on a diverse ecosystem for nutrition and habitat. 

The above article that is referenced below is very comprehensive. Please read more than I have copied above.

Is bamboo sustainable

This article is long, so that is enough for today. I have read families are forced to give up their gardens they grow as a family and cannot get what they need from forests because they are forced by the government with few economic incentives. 

I always get excited about bamboo items, like the toothbrushes. In the end, I decide to avoid bamboo for the sake of the planet and its occupants.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today, we were going to Cullman for two events I did not want to miss. However, when I heard Tommy up at about 7:30, I told him to call at 9 and say we would not be there. Finally, I got to sleep about 9 am. 

We went to pick up the three store ads, and there is nothing really good to buy. We stopped at the farmer's market and bought white-fleshed peaches and a little watermelon, the one-person size. We can get it to house, on counter, sliced, and stored. I really want a large one that has sat in the sun and is nice and warm to eat. 

The casserole last night was bland because I forgot to add seasoning. I was trying to rescue the food from what Tommy was doing and not doing.  I ate mine still needing flavor. He salted his. Tonight, I added garlic powder and garlic powder, and mine was very tasty. 

While I was at it, I made herb butter after dinner'. To butter, I added herbs, mashed it, mixed it, and now it is sitting to meld and for Tommy to try. I can add another TBSP of butter or more herbs. It is too spicy for Tommy, so I will add another half-stick of butter. When it is right, I will publish my recipe.

How do you flavor butter? 

What are your thoughts on bamboo?

10 comments:

  1. I prefer it to plastic. As for monoculture, well, let's look at our lawns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg,
      I try not to use disposable plastic. There are people objecting to lawns. There are many monocultures--wheat, corn, etc. Monoculture is the cause of the Irish Famine and many deaths.

      Delete
  2. I usually don’t flavor our butter, although honey butter is nice every once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      I never have put anything but honey in butter. That has not happened in at least 20 years, maybe longer. But, Tommy kept talking about a huge pat of seasoned butter in a package of vegetables that he just ate on hot bread. So, I made some, hoping it would make him happy. It did.

      Delete
  3. On a scale of sustainability, bamboo is doing well. Every crop humanity grows is a monoculture and deforestation is happening for beef and palm oil and probably many other priducts. I really like bamboo clothing but the processing is very taxing on the environment so I don't buy heaps of it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      Just because there are other things that are bad, too, does not mean it is okay. I did read the articles and knew the examples of other monocultures would be cited. Still, I refuse to buy bamboo products, nor do I buy palm oil products. I advocate for not growing bamboo.

      Delete
  4. Linda! You absolutely CANNOT cite an article (the first one) that doesn't even mention bamboo as proof of the insustainability of bamboo! There's no logical basis in that assertion.

    The second article does a good job of discussing the pros/cons of bamboo, and gives much food for thought. Yet it does not decisively prove bamboo's insustainability. Even the article itself does not state so decisively.

    Bamboo is a smart choice for some products, not for others. Carbon footprint from shipping is a serious consideration. Yet bamboo growth itself is stellar for the air, soil, and water..

    There are many more and better ways to decrease environmental impact than rejecting bamboo as a resource. Beef is far more harmful to the overall environment than bamboo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read the very first sentence of the post!
      Bamboo may be a smart choice for products in the eyes of some people. Many people are not convinced.
      The native trees and forest inhabitants do suffer as their habitat is removed.
      Of course, there are always other ways to decrease environmental impacts, but the best way is not to remove native trees to give way to bamboo. Do we want our forests or plots of land with trees given over to bamboo?

      Delete
    2. Oh, pullease!! You tried to equate bamboo with deforestation--using a deforestation article that doesn't EVER mention bamboo!

      Don't get indignant because that laughable one sentence disclaimer was dismissed for the shady nonsense that it is.

      In the proper context and usage, bamboo is a fantastic plant that is good for the environment. Where it goes wrong is when greed for selling/obtaining that resource overstrips concern for the planet. That's true of ANY resource.

      We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one, that's all. You can say whatever you want--and believe it as well--but you can't support your assertions with unrelated facts.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...