Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Food and Freezing

 Tonight, we froze four one-quart bags of rhubarb. Each bag had three cups of rhubarb and 1/4 cup of sugar. There is a container of cooked rhubarb with three cups cooked with 1/4 cup of sugar. Those five helpings were $25. That is expensive but we won't buy more until next year. 

We went to the guy in Bessemer who sells produce from the curb today. I know he goes to the big Farmers Market and buys stuff. We paid $2 for a huge tomato. I meant to eat it for dinner but forgot. The cereal was near the 'use by' date. I worry it might go rancid if it is not eaten. 

We delivered food to the two guys. Today, I had six boxes of cereal I bought cheaply. But, even though it is granola and sounds nutritious, it has 48 grams of carbs in one small serving. So, along with rotel with chilies, they can have it. 

Tommy picked two more blackberries for me and put them in the bowl in the freezer. It will be a long time until I have even a half cup.

Dinner--small piece of chicken, 1/2 small potato, carrots, onions, Brussels sprouts. 

I washed a couple of things cluttering the counter space between the microwave and sink. I put the items where they should have been all along. The area is becoming more useful every day!

Somewhere, on a blog I read where a woman proudly wrote how she made a recipe keto. She said flour has carbs, but she ground oats into flour and made a keto dessert. She was someone who commented, not the food blogger. 

Now, I need to look over ads online. Tomorrow, we will get the ads from stores and see if there are any deals..

Tonight, we have watched Christmas movies. Such fun. We are watching the 1938 A Christmas Carol. Are you faring well in this heat? 


8 comments:

  1. We are doing OK in the heat despite our main air conditioner being down. I’ve been looking over the ads too, but so far the only thing I see is Ingles has bags of cheese 8 ounces for $1.49, but it’s not worth the drive for just that, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      The heat is oppressive. However, for this area, it is not unusual. I hope you get the ac repaired soon. Giant has same size cheese, 4 for $10.

      Delete
  2. Mid 70's here, high 50's at night, which is lovely, but very warm for our area. We've had the hottest summer following the coldest winter on record And, low rainfall this summer, as we have had for the past 5 years--DANGEROUSLY low rainfall. We'll go, as we have in the past several years, from summer to winter in October, and then straight from winter to summer in May. Climate change, though? Nah, nothing to see here, folks. Move along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg,
      That is March or April weather here. It sounds pleasant.

      Delete
  3. Christmas movies! Say it ain't so! None for me thank you not until November ho ho ho

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      This was the 1938 version of A Christmas Carol. I had never seen that one that I recall.

      Delete
    2. I like all versions of a Christmas Carol but I think the 1951 version with Alistair Sim is my favorite.

      Delete
    3. Janet,
      I like all versions, too. I especially like the version with kelsey grammer.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...