Thursday, July 20, 2023

Purple Carrots and Barbiecore

 This is hot! At 10 pm, it was 90F. That is amazing. We stay in so we are not hot or suffering from any health issues from the heat. I feel so sorry for people not so fortunate. 

It was after 8 am before I could sleep. So, slept about five hours. However, I do not feel as awful as other days. I lay down for 20 minutes this evening before dinner was ready and went straight to sleep. I had told Tommy to wake me in 20 minutes, so he did. Otherwise, I would have slept for hours and then could not sleep again tonight. (the short nap was about 9, so did not need to sleep two hours.)

Tommy peeled potatoes. I cut out eyes and halved them. We put a turkey tender in a bag with potatoes, baby carrots, young carrots, and an onion. The young carrots were small not baby carrots. Well, they were baby carrots but not the kind made for snacking. We baked some of those, too. The young carrots were purple, yellow, and orange. Edit: I forgot to put Brussels sprouts in the bag.

Tommy is very happy when we have potatoes! He is eager to peel them. I did have a bit of potato, but I eat mine cold. 

No matter what we cannot do, we manage to cook, clean up dishes and kitchen. We try to have healthy meals and snacks and try not to buy prepared snacks often. My snack tonight was a glass of chocolate milk with a banana mashed in it. Then, I ate a few unsalted peanuts. 

My only other meal today was a chicken sandwich with cheese and MW on keto bread. Even if I stay awake all night, I never eat. 

I worry about the destruction of the Pfizer plant by a tornado in NC. Pending shortages sound dire. 

Every day, I take at least one thing from the kitchen counter and put it where it goes or toss it. I know this is not the way decluttering is supposed to be done, but this is the way it is happening. There is a space about two feet long or longer and front of the counter to the wall that is stacked. It is not to be thrown out, just organized elsewhere. I have no idea how all this has been the resting place for canning rings and flats and other things. And, I am solving that problem, one little thing at a time. 

I even decided to get rid of 6 boxes of granola cereal. It has 46 carbs and 3 grams of fiber. I am keeping one box and giving away 6. So there. It is delicious, however. 

The Barbie movie is on my list of things to do! We will wait for a few weeks to avoid crowds. Of course, I will wear the hot pink shoes I bought last September. When Tommy went in to Belk's to return something to me, I just happened to mention Barbiecore. He said in every dept on at least one counter there were displays of pink items. That is when I told him about Barbiecore and the movie. We have not been to a movie since 2019.  

Do you have a particular spot, like the place on the counter, that seems to get cluttered faster than other places?

Are you going to see the Barbie movie? 

Have you ever had purple carrots? 

11 comments:

  1. I have so little counter that the answer is no. I do have a spot at the end of the couch I stack my books and notebooks - but pretty much put away things as I go.
    Have had all kinds of carrots - tasty.
    I have no desire whatsoever to see the Barbie movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      It is not like we have counter to spare. This stuff just gets on the little bit of counter he has...lol. We both are guilty of this area of stuff.
      I think the movie will be fun.

      Delete
  2. My parents, back in the day, deemed the Barbie doll a bad influence on girls--no, not because she was too sexy, but because they felt the early '70's Barbie encouraged girls to be vapid, concerned only with clothes/looks. Oh, I could play with the dolls, but they weren't going to spend money on them. As such, I never got into the Barbie hysteria. My neighborhood friend and I would play with the younger neighbor's Barbies with her, but there was only so much changing of clothes and walking the dolls around the Dream House we could do before we'd get bored and go do something else. As for my kids, they preferred other toys, but we did have a few Barbies and outfits which we picked up at the thrift shop. (Who am I kidding, for about 8 years the thing they played with the most indoors was a fort they made of giant Lego blocks, individually wrapped toilet paper rolls from Costco, and the cardboard boxes our first gun safe came in.) I WOULD go see the Barbie movie, though, if I could stand to be in a movie theater, if only to piss conservatives off.
    In my house, I find flat surface with close proximity to either the front door or garage door get cluttered. DH in particular, is a stacker. He's learned over the years not to stack anything he deems important anywhere other than his desk. Generally, we put things away when we are finished using them. Believe it or not, hand washing the dishes, versus using the dishwasher tends to keep our kitchen more organized. Clean dishes wind up on the drying rack, dirty in the sink--and oddly enough, the same people who can open a dishwasher, see it's full of clean dishes, close the dishwasher pretending they didn't see what they just saw, and leave a dirty dish on the counter would never fail to hand wash the dishes they used for snacks when I metaphorically disconnected the dishwasher. Go figure.
    We've planted purple carrots---and blue potatoes before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was 13 when Barbie came out, wanted one only because girls my age got them. But, my parents would not buy it and there were other things I would rather have. A friend brought hers to my house and we played with them. But, all she wanted to do was have them kiss, and I thought that was stupid. So, she never brought them back, and I never played with them again.
    I would rather sit in a gravel driveway and look for fossils. I found a lot and lost them with my house.
    Tommy and I both have our stacking places for which we are responsible.
    For a man who had not washed a dish in three years when I came, he now handwashes things that won't go or should not go in the sink. For a long time, he just used dishes out of the dishwasher. Now, he empties it as soon as they are done and dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes some people a long time to realize that a dishwasher full of clean dishes doesn't do a bit of good. I despise unloading the dishwasher, though. And, nothing will set me off faster than finding out someone opened the dishwasher, saw it had finished its cycle, but failed to unload it. That happened once too many times for my liking (my dishwashers have lights which indicate if its cycle is complete) so I banned the use of the dishwasher for a period of time. We're using it again--I tend to run it at night, and then race myself to unload it in the time it takes to prepare my French press coffee. I truly despise the task, though--I don't mind, in fact I rather enjoy most housework except THAT.

      Delete
    2. Meg,
      And, sometimes I empty it one dish at a time as I need it. But, my back hurts and sometimes I am too hungry. However, once I was more efficient and without pain.
      Once, I told my older daughter to unload the dishwasher. She said she did not want to. I told her she could load all the dirty dishes in it because I was not doing both, "take your choice." Putting them in is handling dirty dishes. She got busy unloading it. I really don't mind doing either one. But, dishes in the wrong place in the cabinets drive me crazy since it is a search to find them.

      Delete
  4. I loved playing Barbies! The movie looks cute, but I will wait for it to come out on streaming and watch it. I had a friend from Kindergarten on and we used to play Barbies so much. I just messaged her that if we lived close by each other we would have to go see it together, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in high school, so not many friends played Barbie. But, my daughter sure loved her. I made clothing. It does look cute.

      Delete
  5. I have had purple, red, yellow, and orange carrots. All were good, because I love carrots. I love purple cauliflower, too, but it's a unicorn that shows up in the groceries only one or two days a year.

    I had 2 Barbies; one real and one knockoff. An aunt made me some clothes for them, which she beautifully tailored. I still have them. But DD wanted nothing to do with baby dolls or Barbies, so they have stayed in their suitcases all these years.

    I don't like going to movie theatres anymore. The sound systems are way too loud, and I don't like the disgusting, mannerless patrons who use their phones and talk incessantly. I especially don't want to rebreathe their air, thank you.

    I will probably stream Barbie just to see what the fuss is about. I am more interested in seeing Oppenheimer.

    Every. Single. Horizontal. Surface. in my house becomes a magnet for clutter. Putting my fam's shit away is about 70% of my housekeeping work. It's exhausting. Sometimes I throw their stuff out. If (and that's a big if) they ask where something is, I shrug and say I have no idea. It's little insurrections like this that keep my day entertaining. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughters and granddaughters play with Barbies and one daughter has all the clothes since I made them for her. I think the movie will be interesting. That is all I can say.

      When I was in the hospital after bringing home my baby, Mama came to care for him. She said she finally took a paper grocery bag and put husband's bits of paper with notes and phone numbers. She was shocked at the bits of paper, not usually very big all over the house. She told him she put it all in one bag for him. He never said a word about it. But, it did not cure him of the habit of using all surfaces to store his junk paper.

      Delete
  6. Once upon a time I grew purple carrots. I recall purple is the more natural color until orange took over.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...