Sunday, July 23, 2023

Monk Fruit and More Decluttering

 



Two weeks ago when I did not feel like going into Publix, Tommy went in. I gave him a mission--buy monk fruit. He found it and read the labels to me. I chose Truvia. It does have erythritol. I tried it tonight in oats and like it. It does not have the aftertaste of other erythritol products. I only put one Tbsp in the oats and did not get a sugary dish like I like. I just ate it. 

The one thing I did notice was that when I took a sip of milk, there was an extreme sweet taste in my mouth. It was not at all unpleasant. The extreme sweet taste was in contrast to the taste of the sweetener in the oats. The extreme sweetness only lasted for a second as I drank milk. The aftertaste was short-lived and not at all like Stevia aftertaste.

I am happy with this product. However, if you have found one you like, I am open to suggestions, especially if it is pure monk fruit, if that even exists. I have not searched for that.

When I buy strawberries next, I will sprinkle a little on them cut up. Monk fruit sweeteners are very expensive! 


                                                             monk fruit

Decluttering the counter

I found three other items to take off the counter. I save glass and plastic containers and the peanut containers--tall, clear, and hard plastic containers from Planter's Peanuts. However, I do not hoard them, just a few of each kind. Three are off the counter. Now, I will decide their fate before they are saved unnecessarily. 

If there were light under the cabinets and if I could stand very long without pain, this would be a thirty-minute task.

One Planter's container sits with recycling to hold batteries we will recycle. 

Do you save plastic or glass to reuse later or recycle? 

Do you use monkfruit? 

What brand?

Do you like it or another sweetener? 

10 comments:

  1. I use Splenda--have for years. You can bake with it or use it on cold things. I suppose the naysayers have found something wrong with it, but I like it. There's no after taste either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole,
      Thanks. I don't think I have ever used Splenda. I cannot remember anything bad about it.

      Delete
  2. Yes, the monk fruit is more expensive than sugar, but i like the fact that there is no aftertaste. so far so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      I figure if I use what I bought, a pitcher of Kool Aid would be about $5. What brand do you use? I hate the after taste of Swerve that seems to coat my tongue.

      Delete
  3. artificial sweeteners -- all of them are not good for you, or for your gut health. Erythritol is linked to strokes and blood clots. I'm not sure why anyone would even keep eating any artificial sweetener, when you can just use less sugar (glucose) and its easily absorbed by the body. Glucose is the number one food for the brain, and it's an extremely important source of fuel throughout the body.

    The brainwashing -- to get the country eating chemicals instead of sugar (used for generations) had not helped anyone's health.

    The artificial sweeteners change our gut bacteria -- which has now been shown to influence everything. These imbalances of our natural (healthy) flora and a rise of bad bacteria is the cause of the rise in Parkinson's, other brain disorders, heart problems, and autoimmune problems, such as thyroid issues, rheumatoid arthritis and type 1 diabetes, digestive issues, such as irritable bowel syndrome, constipation, diarrhea, heartburn or bloating.

    Stop eating chemical junk -- sold just for a profit, and promoted (lies) that they're for your health. They aren't healty.

    Make your sweetener: sugar or honey, or nothing at all.

    The problem with Monk fruit, is pure monk fruit extract is about 300 times sweeter than sugar, which makes it difficult for consumers to use on its own. In order to make usable copious amounts of erythritol are added.

    Linda, I'm concerned about how your health keeps degrading -- you get less and less exercise. Can you please ask a doctor to get you enrolled in an Ocupational Therapy program, or seek out some exercise like Tai Chi, or chair yoga, or even, just chair exercises. The less you walk, the less you do -- the more your sleep patterns will be disrupted, the less exercise you will get -- it's a vicious circle. I've seen it before in my age group -- and the decline can be reversed, but it takes some attention, and effort.
    Please? I worry about you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. meetsy,
      It is a good thing I have avoided erythritol for so long. This mok fruit is too expensive to eat much. On my own, I have taken a very few steps to increase my moving about. I love tai chi, but it would be impossible to do as I did before. I appreciate your concern. I am concerned, too, since half my heart is not firing.

      Delete
  4. I like Splenda and use it a lot. Kool Aide has liquid that you drop in water to flavor it. It is sweetened with Splenda. I use it of fruit when baking cobblers too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara,
      I will have check out that, too. I don't bake much anymore, but it is good to know it works in baking.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...