Sunday, July 30, 2023

Stormy Sunday

 


So, I am posting a picture I took earlier this year. This is from the car while in the driveway of my house. There is a huge lot catty corner to my house. This spot has Purple Prince tulips interspersed. The daffodils and tulips bloom at slightly different times, but for about two weeks, they are both blooming. This is the small group I planted. The huge swath in the back yard was there, but smaller when I moved there.

If the mailbox looks shabby, it is because someone came along the street and bashed everybody's mailboxes for several weeks. So, why buy a new one? 

Today, we had terrific rain, wind and lightning. I awoke before then, tried to go back to sleep and lay shivering for an hour. Finally, I went to living room and awoke at 4:30. I was shocked but had slept well for so long! 

Tommy discovered the remote did not work, even with new batteries and we went to Spectrum for a new remote. Five minutes before it closed, Tommy went in and came out with a new remote. Since it is next to Publix, Tommy insisted on buying MW for me. The tiny squirt bottle was on sale, but not the 30 oz quart. He paid $8.49! I am flabbergasted. 

Maybe I need to spread this more thinly. If I get too much from the jar, I refuse to wipe it back into the jar, so I lick it from the spoon. From now on, I will dip it out more carefully so there is no excess. There was a time not long ago that I paid $1.99 for the 32 oz quart. Yes, I am still burned up about the size of the present "quart." I need a good MW sale and imagine that Labor Day will be the next opportunity to buy MW on sale. MW=Miracle Whip.

I suppose he will have ham, collards, and squash for dinner tonight. I want cottage cheese and canned peaches. Maybe not.

More decluttering happened today, just a bit more than the bare minimum. In the middle of the night when I could not sleep, I went into the back bedroom where there is food. I saw a random trash bag on top of a box. Inside was the trash from the back bathroom that Oksana picked up from the closet floor when she cleaned the bathroom, bedroom and the closet back there. Goodness gracious. That was the end of April! I had no idea she left it in there. So, that bag will be filled to toss. 

My heart has been beating so erratically that I am weak. Most of this post I wrote before it started. Thankfully, we will have several dry days and then, still not much rain. 

Have you ever had anyone who was beating on mailboxes or destroying them where you have lived? 

 
 

8 comments:

  1. Linda, are you saying that you have jonquils blooming at your house at the end of July????? That is crazy. Here they bloom in January. I assume this is an older photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,
      Sorry, I took those in the spring and just managed to get them out of phone and on blog. It is from January or early February of this year,

      Delete
  2. That’s high for MW but all prices seem to be flabbergasting.

    When we had teenagers and lived in the country, we lost lots of mailboxes. Not fun at all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhonda,
      This was in the city in the Historic District. No one is immune.
      I was stunned at the price. I will really search for a lower price, hoping to find a sale for Labor Day and buy what I can use before the next holiday sale in November. The price is twice what it was a year ago!

      Delete
  3. Yes, we’ve had vandals that did that to mailboxes. My dad finally built one out of steel and welded it together so something like a baseball bat has no impact on it. They even tried shooting holes in it but it still stands. 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      Mine is not impervious to vandals, but they finally quit. Your father could build ones for neighbors, too. That would really discourage the vandals.

      Delete
  4. I hear in small towns the tale of mailbox marauders. It seems a common sort of vandalism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is annoying and caused me to have to buy a new stand for the mailbox and have someone put concrete around it.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...