Thursday, August 24, 2023

At Last and AC

 I wrote this post once. Things were so screwed up, I actually abandoned the post and started anew. I will delete it later. Now, the stress of trying to fix that post has taken its toll, so I must rest my brain...lol. 

Tommy left at 8 am, sat while they diagnosed the problem and was home by 11:30. It is the radiator wearing out somehow. I forgot the details. I am so glad that we were not stranded in this heat by the radiator giving out. The horn problem is in the steering column. So, that yearlong or more problem will be solved. He would have left the car, but they said they had no one at that time who could have taken him home! So, now he has to get up even earlier to go on Friday.

Tommy emphatically states (loudly) that he does not need to drink water, that his coffee and Pepsi and chocolate milk will work to hydrate him. This is really a stressor for me since I feel he is foolishly ignoring medical advice and endangering not only himself, but me since I am in the car when he is exposing both of us to high temps. If he passes out, he could kill more people, too.

While watching the weather tonight, a visual was on the screen as the weather guy talked. "Avoid caffeine, alcohol, and sugary drinks" Tommy saw it, I read it to him. He is silent. 

Then, shortly thereafter comment slipped through my security measure from an idiot who calls herself Blog Reader--"who cares if tommy[sic] likes pepsi[sic[over water....! Yum." and it goes on. What an idiot she is! I CARE! She claims to care, yet she encourages dangerous behavior. 

Tommy's car is visually a wreck--dings, peeling paint, has not been washed in at least four years. We cannot even see through the windshield. But, it will be cool and have a horn tomorrow. I don't judge a man by his car, but it is indicative of most he does except his finances.

I slept from 3 am to 5 pm today with the help of 3mg of melatonin. I was up twice to use the bathroom and went sound asleep afterwards both times. About 9 am, I thought I would get up, called Tommy, and went back to sleep. That makes 14 hours sleep except for calling Tommy and five minutes of TV. 

When I awoke after 5 tonight, I had cookies and milk. Since I have been feeling light-headed and out of it, I had to follow my own advice and drink water. It definitely makes a difference.  Of course, I had been sleeping and not much occasion to drink water. I am not often without water in my hand or by my side. If we forget water, we pay $2 for a bottle for me. 

Tonight, we put six pounds of chicken tenderloins into the oven with a mess of green beans, one carrot, broccoli, and spices--onion powder, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning. I made cole slaw. There will be chicken to freeze, to store to eat for a few days, and vegetables for at least three dinners. Right now, Tommy is cleaning up items from cooking.

Friday, Tommy will have to take the car in again for the work. They had no one to bring him home. He will pay Lyft if they still have no one tomorrow to bring him home! Tommy did make sure to remove our air compressor, and charger, the small, expensive items to get the car going. 

So, we finally had dinner--chicken tenders, green beans, broccoli, carrots, potatoes, and slaw. Delicious and satisfying. The chicken was so tender and needed little chewing. Slaw, surprisingly, needs little chewing. Of course, I could have chewed more and made the cabbage mush to swallow. Now, to freeze most of the chicken. 

I know people who pride themselves in never washing their car or fixing dings. It is funny. However, letting mechanical things get worse is not cool or funny. Do you know anyone who never washes the car? 

The one things he does is to remove every bit of trash on the floor and seats of his car...sigh. Right now, he is in the kitchen storing all the food, all the vegetables in one dish with chicken in the dish, too. The rest of the chicken I will freeze a bit later tonight. We mostly have a rhythm when we work together in the kitchen. We know what each needs and what process comes next. Good deal. 

Tonight, we were using the last of the Italian seasoning. So, I decided to just mix my own since it is so expensive. I copied down everything in the bottle with the screw metal top and holes--oregano, marjoram, thyme, basil, parsley. Then, he found a second, unopened bottle. 

I smelled each seasoning in its bottle. I was surprised that basil smells nothing like basil. Instead, it smells peppery. Is that right? I have never bought dried basil in a bottle. 

All the kitchen towels are folded. Tommy put them away for us. And, we cooked chicken. Maybe tomorrow, I will get my towels folded. We do need to cook ground beef, too. Maybe tomorrow?

Today, Tommy came into the bedroom to talk to me about 5 pm. As he left, I asked him if he thought it was hot in the bedroom. He said it was. Yet, I think the ac was set at 70F. The actual temperature in the hall where the thermostat is located was 74F because the ac unit could not run enough to lower even the hall temp to 70F. The ac struggles. I feel sorry those without ac or inadequate ac. I think the best solution to the heat in the front of the house would be several crepe myrtles. Of course, he disagrees! lol 

Today was a good day because I had lots of sleep last night, but the energy lasted only about three hours! 

Do you have anyone in your life who takes chances that could kill you both? 

Do you know anyone who neglects the cosmetics of a car? 

Do you have anyone who works with you in any capacity that anticipates what you next need?

Who is hot? I know some people are having cooler temps. 




16 comments:

  1. I have a brother in law who neither washes his vehicle nor maintains it. Not sure he's ever gotten an oil change! He and his wife also have dogs and there is dog hair galore in the vehicles.

    It is hot here in south central KY. The high today could be 100, with an index much higher. Our air conditioner struggles to keep up in such heat and humidity. It is set to 74 and at the hottest yesterday afternoon, it was 77 in the house. It finally kicked off sometime in the night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      Does his cars last long with no oil change? Dog hair in a car would be intolerable to me. I think Tommy washed cars that had better bodies. When he first bought this car, it had a beautiful finish. I was the one who found it for him.
      It is just about as hot, maybe hotter than it is here. This one sometimes cuts off, too. We lived in Owensboro, but that is more northerly.

      Delete
    2. I think he adds oil if they run low. It's just so funny to see how he does things when his brother (my husband) has probably the most immaculately clean truck in town. He had a 2008 GMC Denali pickup truck that people thought was brand new even until he traded it off last year.

      I just received the following information about water intake from an email. Feel free to read it to Tommy (or not, depending on his mood). :)

      1. When you are well hydrated, your organs are able to perform more optimally.



      This allows your metabolism to speed up, which means you’ll burn calories more

      quickly.



      Even mild dehydration will slow down your metabolism.



      2. Natural waste is produced in your body each day from basic functions such as

      breathing and digesting food.



      Getting rid of these toxins can be helpful for weight loss because toxins are stored in fat cells.



      Water is a great way to flush toxins out of your body.



      3. When you are dehydrated, the blood volume in your body is reduced.



      Decreased blood volume levels result in lower energy levels, which makes it

      difficult for you to stay active.



      4. By drinking more water, you’ll naturally end up drinking fewer high-calorie,

      sugary drinks.



      5. As a bonus, water keeps your skin hydrated and plumped and helps your skin

      retain that youthful glow!



      Did you know that 75% of the American population is chronically dehydrated?



      And in 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is mistaken for hunger.



      By simply drinking more water, you may notice that you become less hungry.



      In fact, one glass of water ended midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the

      dieters participating in a University of Washington study.



      Amazing right?



      Brenda Davy, PhD., completed a research study at Virginia Tech and found that

      drinking water before meals can help you to lose weight and keep it off.



      In her study, the subjects that drank water before meals lost an average of four pounds

      more than the group that did not drink water before meals.



      To supercharge your weight loss, make sure that you aim to drink half an

      ounce of water per pound of body weight.



      And if you can handle cold water, go for it!



      Researchers found that your metabolism is boosted within 10 minutes of drinking cold water, and those benefits can remain for at least 30 or 40 minutes.



      I encourage you to start drinking more water today.



      It will help support your body in so many ways and is incredible for detoxification and weight loss.



      In fact, my personal one-on-one weight-loss clients, have greater weight-loss success, losing one to three pounds a week when they hit their water intake goals! (modify as necessary)

      Delete
    3. Alice,
      I have read that there can only be one smart kid in the family, only one neat one and so on. So, I suppose that your husband was the neat one and the brother had to be the messy one. I took bath towels and hand-dried my car to keep it nice. Now, I am not so agile. But, even I keep a car better than that. Is his house so messy, too?

      Delete
    4. The house is not messy. And he generally takes good care of their house and land. They have five acres and several animals.

      Hubby is one of nine, so I guess there was plenty of room to have all sorts.

      Delete
    5. Alice,
      So, I suppose the car is just not important since he care for other things. That's good.

      Delete
  2. I read that statement on your earlier post, about Tommy refusing to drink water, claiming Pepsi was good enough, and shook my head. That's a dandy way to damage to the kidneys, and increase the risk of Type II diabetes. Remember, I didn't have an Americanized upbringing, so the only beverages I was allowed in the home besides water were coffee in the morning, tea during the day, and wine when we ate dinner with our parents. My father explained the thirst mechanism to us as kids, so we knew that by the time it kicked in, you had waited too late to start drinking water. One thing that helps is that we don't drink ice water, or chilled water. We drink it the temperature it comes out of the tap, and store the water bottles in the pantry. (I hate buying them, but the water bottles for classes/car trips. The public school only allowed clear containers for water, so water bottles are one of the few convenience foods I buy.) We find that room temperature water is easier on the intestines/sensitive teeth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg,
      He has type II diabetes. When he says he is not thirsty yet, he assures me when he is thirsty, he will drink something. I told him that he is already dehydrated when he gets thirsty. He did not believe me, but we heard it later on tv.
      We grew up with milk for breakfast or other meals and water other times. Unsweetened iced tea for meals. Occasionally, my parents would buy Cokes and give us each half of a six ounce Coke. That was maybe twice a month. I like my ice but will drink water at room temperature if the room is cooled with ac. I suppose they want clear water bottles because kids would put stuff other than water in them?

      Delete
    2. I believe that was the reasoning for clear bottles, though my kids had thermoses in elementary school. Milk was also something we didn't have frequently growing up. It was there to use for cooking, or to put in coffee or tea, or on the odd bowl of cereal if we ever had it, but we were discouraged from drinking it as a beverage. I never liked it much either. Milk is also probably not the wisest choice for someone with type 2 diabetes. I don't know why people find it so hard to drink water.

      Delete
    3. Meg,
      I never was told not to drink milk. Neither was he. Where did you grow up?

      Delete
    4. I grew up in New England, but I am second generation American, and my parents weren't fully Americanized. Also , they were very smart/educated, so they knew that by and large, milk wasn't the elixir to health that the dairy industry would have you believe. And again, for the life of me, I don't know why people find it so hard to drink water. Actually, I do--it's because they've accustomed themselves to drinking sugary drinks. But, it's their kidneys, teeth, waistlines and blood sugar, not mine.

      Delete
    5. Meg,
      I find it very easy to drink water and drink it more often than anything else. But, I was reared that way. I never gave my children milk for dinner because they would not eat. They had sweetened, unsweetened tea.

      Delete
  3. I always keep a bottle of water handy and have regular sips from it, as well as quite regular cups of tea!

    I hope your temperatures may cool down soon.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jan,
    I have water with me constantly, too.
    It is 97F at almost 5 pm. Here is the South, we will be warm through October but not this hot. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Milk is perfectly fine, as long as it's something your ancestors consumed. Mine came from Germany and Norway, both of which populations drink milk and eat dairy products like butter and cheese. No one in my family has a dairy allergy or issue.

    "Eat like your great-grandparents ate" I have heard, and I think it's wise advice. If it's not in your genetic makeup, you may have trouble with it. But also, our great-grandparents did not consume processed foods. We are not meant to consume the vast quantities of chemicals that we do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      The last sentence says it all! I don't believe milk is harmful at all unless consumed in the place of other foods. That is what my children would do since they all loved milk. Of course, there are people whose bodies don't fare well with dairy. My problem is the a1 protein. I have no idea where that came from in my ancestry.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...