Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Blueberry Day

 Wednesday, we put 5 pounds of frozen blueberries into the refrigerator to thaw. Today, were gone, so I had to do something with them today. About 11 am, I put them into a huge pot, put 1/2 cup of sugar into the pot, and it is on to cook down. I see lots of blueberry something in the future. 

We went to Cullman today and I had a short conversation with my friend's daughter. It was sad because she was so tired and kept making mistakes when she talked. I am sure you know how stress can be. 

We did what we had to do, and then we got a Whopper Jr. In the past, our habit was to have something sweet, ice cream or anything we should not. Today, I went to Publix and bought a package of blueberries to eat in the car. When Tommy saw the blueberries, he asked with amazement why I bought blueberries. I had forgotten the blueberries waiting at home. 

I set about eating blueberries. When I looked down after about a dozen blueberries, there was mold. That ended blueberry eating. He has been asking me when I was going to eat the blueberries at home. I kept telling him we had no blueberries. So, he pulled more blueberries out to show me. 

Are you following along? I had 5 pounds thawing. I bought a large container with mold. But, I still had blueberries from about two months ago from a trip to SAM's Club. I think that is where we bought them. 

The blueberries lasted a long time because I immediately transferred them to a glass container after we brought them home! This has convinced me that glass is the best storage for berries. It has worked for strawberries, too. 

Before we even got home, we stopped at the Publix in Hueytown and got rid of the moldy blueberries. I got carried away and used the new ad to buy groceries. I should have waited until Thursday. There was lots on bogo. Tomorrow!

Today, I had another peach and it was much more ripe and juicy. Blueberries, peach, banana, and half an apple are my fruits today. Tomato and lettuce the vegetables. 

Dinner: Tommy had leftovers--ham, mashed potatoes, and slaw. I had Special K and banana for my dinner. 

Tuesday night, I went to bed earlier than usual and slept two hours. I was up for another six hours, and then slept until time to leave to go to Cullman. I did not sleep my 7.5 hours, but I got a decent amount. 

Do you ever overbuy, not realizing you have food you just purchased? 

What is your favorite way to eat blueberries? My favorite is fresh, in cobbler, in pie, over ice cream, in jelly or jam, most anyway. 

I am tired, so this post has had no editing. Work with me.


8 comments:

  1. You did well for a post with no editing. You remind me that I have blueberries in the refrigerator and by now they are probably moldy. I also have small bags of blueberries in the freezer which will need to be used soon. I wanted to buy peaches this week at a grocers near me but when I went there to shop for other items they had no peaches at all. I see they have peaches on sale starting tomorrow at another grocers a bit father away. The sale is not as good as the one nearer to but they will probably have them and I feel like having peaches so fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyful,
      Thanks. Some days I edit and still have a mess. It took reminding for me to get the thawed ones and the ones stored in glass out and use them. I hope you find peaches acceptable and make something with the frozen ones. The blueberries stored in the refrigerator for months are perfect! Try storing blueberries, even for a day in glass. I saw one woman had a quart, glass canning jar full of strawberries.

      Delete
  2. Blueberries are one of the few fruits that hubby and I indulge in every so often. I use a block of cream cheese, softened, and some heavy whipping cream. I add a couple / few tablespoons of Swerve powdered sugar. I mix that until it's light and fluffy. When I have it (or think of it) I add a bit of lemon extract. It really brightens it up. I freeze the blueberries. Place some of the fluffy concoction in a bowl and add the frozen blueberries and it is delightful.

    And yes, we over buy often. Sometimes it's like we're playing refrigerator Tetris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      That concoction sounds delicious. I have some cream cheese. Tetris describes our refrigerator activities so well, especially yesterday.

      Delete
  3. I like blueberries in baked goods and that is about it. I do sometimes mix with raspberries and grapes to make a triple berry jelly - but I don't really feel they add a lot of flavor. Not one of my favorite berries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      What kind of grapes? I think exactly the opposite. But, that leaves more blueberries for me.

      Delete
  4. I love blueberries and can eat pounds of them.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...