Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Food all the Way

 My friend died Sunday morning. I did not want to bother her daughter who is right there in her home. However, I could not bear knowing. I called and may have awakened her daughter. Our exchange was brief--29 seconds. I did not want to go into my grief, so I said, "I am so sorry." She said, "Thank you." She may have been asleep.  She may have been hoarse from crying. We hung up. That means the celebration of life is Sunday. I had mailed her a note on Monday, written on Sunday after she died...sigh.

I wonder if there will be food at the Celebration. This is the South and it will be in a church.

I told Tommy I would call the police next time he hit me. I know for a fact it was low blood sugar. But, it hurts my body, hurts my feelings and makes me feel like I am nothing. He was an a$$ when I said that hurt since he acted like I did not exist, would not speak. I know you wonder why we don't check his blood sugar. That would be too easy. He would also lose his autonomy. But, when he has tried to hurt me and men in uniform show up, he is meek as a lamb. He has allowed them to measure his blood sugar on several occasions when he was yelling at me. I don't think he is afraid of them, just will cooperate with uniforms better than with me. 

Somehow, I lost Sunday. That night, I just assumed it was Saturday because I had not seen Meet the Press or America's Funniest Videos. Well, on Monday, Tommy pointed out I was asleep during those hours. I slept about four hours and missed both, one in the morning and one in the evening. Of course, I barely slept every night of the weekend. My laptop has the date, time, and temperature displayed. However, the pertinent information I needed on Sunday, the day of the week, is not displayed. 

Janet, I received Pillars of the Earth on Monday. It was so heavy I could barely take it from Tommy and not drop it. I will have to support it for sure. This read should be interesting. I will get a tray that sits across my lap and rests on the arms of the chair. Thank you.

I ordered a book from Mayo Clinic--Mayo Clinic Book of Home Remedies, Second Edition. Hopefully, it will prove helpful. 

Decluttering was miniscule, but I did it.

Free food: 6 black plums, 7 peaches, 4 lbs of nectarines, five lbs. chicken thighs. 

We still have chicken tenderloins in the refrigerator to eat, and two frozen packages of cooked tenderloins. Last night, I wanted Tommy to go get chicken for me. Yes, I know there was plenty in the refrigerator already baked. I opened a can of the Hormel Roast Beef and Gravy, mixed package of Idahoan, and opened green beans. It was not the healthiest, but it was eaten. The can of Hormel was 11 months beyond the best by date, but it was fine as I knew it would be. 

I really want potato salad and squash casserole, so after the news goes off, we will go to Publix.  Tommy went alone and bought: milk for both of us, two packages of squash, five pounds red potatoes, two pounds of carrots, Arnold's Keto Bread,  a package of carrot shreds, 4 12-packs of Pepsi b2g2, a case of Dasani. He forgot to put my phone number in at the register. We would have gotten $2 off on a $10 purchase. I will fix it. 

We went out in the car earlier, and the ac is wonderful! I know that Heaven will be airconditioned. 

On the news today, we heard that doctors increase the intake of fruits and vegetables by 1/3 by actually prescribing fruits and vegetables. Interesting. I am not sure what the recommendations are, but I get at least three fruits, and at least three or four vegetables. I know I am short on the vegetables. Well, maybe not since I rarely count onions and celery in my vegetable list for a day. I read another site that has 4 of each as the minimum. 

Tommy went to Publix. I specifically told him to choose small squash. Not one of the packages has a small squash! They are all hefty clubs. I cut off the smaller ends for the casserole and left the larger pieces to cook with the thighs or for him to put in a salad. I need to remember to slice them, otherwise, he won't eat them in a salad. Plus, there is a package of three not so small clubs left for another day. I may slice those to cook with onions. 

Tonight, I will boil eggs for the potato salad I will make Wednesday or probably Thursday. Ooops, I forgot to have him buy celery.

Dinner: I am having baked chicken tender, squash casserole, green beans. Tommy is having a leg and thigh, squash casserole, sweet potatoes. The green beans and sweet potatoes are leftovers, so a helping each is left. Until dinner is done, I am eating a peach. It is Freestone! I have not had one of those yet this year. Okay, it is hard and not very tasty, but tomorrow they will be better.

There was a rock in the green beans, and I broke a tooth!

Do you aim for a certain number of vegetables and fruits each day?

What are you currently reading? 


12 comments:

  1. Since fruit and veggies are my favorite things, I just eat many. Have never thought about it. What 'they' say does not concern me - as I have made it this long doing my thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      I agree and cannot imagine having to be told to eat vegetables.

      Delete
  2. Been there and done that with late husband. His was heart issues instead of sugar.

    I am reading Four Season's cookbook "3 meals @day and In between" composed by Old Order Amish of West Lykens Valley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      I suppose people don't believe it, but it is true that he is just abusive physically when his blood sugar is low. I am surprised that heart issues caused the problem, but I believe you.
      That sounds like an interesting book to read.

      Delete
  3. I'm worried 😟. Tommy is hitting you and low blood sugar is the reasoning being used?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Low blood sugar is the reason, not just being used as the excuse.

      Delete
  4. My goal is zero fruits or veggies each day. I am currently re-reading "Why We Get Sick" by Ben Bickman, and "The Water Keeper," by Charles Martin. I'm just getting started on that one, but I love Charles Martin as an author and have read several other books of his.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      Oh my! I will have to check out those online. I start craving fruits and vegetables! Of course, I crave chocolate, too, which I should not have in excess or at all...lol.

      Delete
  5. Here in the UK five a day (fruit and vegetables) is the recommended amount.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5_A_Day

    All the best Jan

    PS Many thanks for your comment and the lovely poem on my recent trees post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      I was thinking five and found that after I posted. Thanks.

      Delete
  6. I’m so sorry your friend passed away. I eat fruit and vegetables everyday. They are just so darn good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Belinda,
    Thank you. She died surrounded by her family, so I suppose it was a good death. You are so correct about fruits and vegetables.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...