Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Softer than Soft Food and Books Gone

 On Monday night, I went to bed two hours earlier than usual. I was hoping to get more sleep. However, I awoke after 1.5 hours and could sleep no more. Finally at 8 am, I was able to sleep. Since I needed to get up at least by noon, I still got little sleep. I will keep trying to get more sleep. At 5 pm, I needed a nap. So, that is how it goes with me.

Today, I tried to only eat very soft or mushy food. Applesauce and cottage cheese, soft oatmeal and raisin cookies, banana, milk, a spoon of peanut butter, and slaw. Bread is too hard, unbelievably. I wanted cold chicken, but Tommy toughened and hardened it in the microwave! It was inedible! I was dismayed! Earlier, I had the innards of a turkey sandwich--deli turkey, tomato, Romaine. The one bite of delicious bread hurt me. 

I am so hungry and may have another bowl of oats in a bit. It is hard to sleep when I am hungry. And, I refuse to eat in the middle of the night. 

The car ac is getting worse as it is not functioning properly more often. Heat is stressful, and neither of us need that. Riding in a hot car contributed to my need to sleep at 5 pm. 

We shopped the last shopping day for last week's ad. The squash was all too large. I got two bananas, Diet Coke Caffeine Free, Miracle Whip-2, grapes, Alouette spread, and Juicy Fruit gum for Tommy. MW was $5.49 instead of $8.49. MW is a real win. Bananas weren't on sale. I just needed bananas.

For dinner Tommy had chicken, squash, and sweet potatoes. This is all leftovers. Good for me not having to cook. After having had slaw and too-hard breast for dinner, I will have oats now, and half an apple. I slice it and cut it where the peeling is about 1/8 inch wide. It does not get proper chewing, but at least it goes down. I need the fiber, trust me. I forgot about the squash and sweet potatoes. 

Maybe I will fold some clothes later tonight. Maybe not. Maybe we will work on books tomorrow. Today, we called a church and offered them the books. We put them out for them. I have no idea what they will do with them. Some of the books are new, never read, pristine dust covers. 

Do you go in the last day of a grocery ad to get things you need? Sometimes, I have forgotten something. Sometimes, I wait until the last day just because. 



2 comments:

  1. Because of my dental surgery in July I am on a soft diet until October or November. It takes this time for the new implants to heal before the final teeth are fitted. I understand what you are going through. The first couple of weeks I made and ate a lot of individual baked custard cups. They are delish but not exactly filling. I also made potato soup a couple of times. Pasta is your friend as is cottage cheese, and scrambled eggs. I also have been fixing fish, and like you I often have oatmeal. I like oatmeal with butter, salt & pepper. I like savory better than sweet. A soft diet is a royal pain but it can be done.

    I put your book in the mail today. It is Ken Follet's, Pillars Of The Earth. I had read it a year or two before I traveled to France. When I entered Notre-Dame my knees actually buckled and I went dizzy. This book tells the story of the building of a Cathedral in 12th century France. Because of this book I had a good understanding of the difficulties come along with building a HUGE stone building. It was one of the most magical moments in my life.

    The only problem with the book is that it is BIG and HEAVY. It weighs over 2 1/2lbs. I read it propped up in my lap with it laying on a couple of pillows. I hope you are able to manage the weight.

    Apparently there was a mini-series made from this book. It is on STARZ. I haven't seen it but will sign up for a trial and watch it when I return from my Daughter's next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,
      This soft diet is complicated when I find bread, and especially the crust to be too hard! Apple peels sliced about 1/8 inch are the only exceptions to the soft food rule I am making. However, apples are easier to eat than bread. I thought pasta might be okay and plan to make some tomorrow. I like sweet oatmeal better than savory even though I used oats in savory as filling.
      I have heard of that book but know absolutely nothing about it. I will definitely have to prop it as I can barely hold a very light book without hurting due to arthritis and torn rotator cuffs.
      I will keep an eye out for the mini-series. Thanks.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...