Friday, August 18, 2023

Squash Casserole and Pineapple Popsicles

 


I have been searching for a squash casserole recipe and none are like I used to make. I think squash, buttered bread pieces, and cheese in layers is what I made. However, there may have been other ingredients. So far, I have found ingredients I am quite sure I never used--crackers, mushroom soup, garlic, eggs and other things I cannot remember. I lost so much in the house! 

Late tonight, I made popsicles again--crushed pineapple and Greek yogurt. Tommy went to the store and was gone for 1.5 hours, going on 2 hours. I worried something had happened to him. I asked what took so long--apples, he said. He has to sort through so many to get good ones for me. He was astounded that he could find no plain yogurt in the small size. He asked if Greek yogurt was okay. I thought he might object. 

These two times I have made popsicles, I have managed to make the exact amount for two popsicles. I am trying two at a time in order to find what we like. I am thinking of what I can make next. I will use the leftover crushed pineapple in cottage cheese. Maybe he will want the same thing again. I am planning banana for my next popsicle. I have no blueberries or strawberries at this time. Maybe something else from a can, like peaches.  

I would make a smoothy recipe with green stuff in it to use for popsicles, but I cannot find my smoothie blender glass. The last cleaner moved it somewhere!

Tonight, we had salmon croquettes, leftover slaw, and a can of green beans. There are croquettes for tomorrow and a dab of beans, and a dab of slaw. Lunch maybe? 

I have had problems with TMJ so chewing much of anything bothers it. The croquettes are perfect. Even the crust on bread is a problem to chew, making my left jaw pop with eat chew. 

Last week, I ate a loaf of sourdough bread that came from Publix. I love sourdough, but this was so tough. I kept on gnawing on it for the love of sourdough and this week, I am suffering. So, nothing that requires chewing is on my menu. Even chicken and ground beef are too much to chew. 

The ac on Tommy's car is going to require close to $1000 to repair. But, we cannot live without it--no suffering until fall. He has not suggested that, but it could be an option if we did not have ac weather into October!

Do you have a squash casserole recipe from the 70s that does not have lots of ingredients? That is the best way I can describe it. 

What is your favorite homemade popsicle flavor? 

8 comments:

  1. I have used this recipe for many years. Few ingredients yet very tasty. You can replace the butter flavored crackers with bread pieces.
    https://insanelygoodrecipes.com/paula-deens-squash-casserole/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HHH,
      I will look at this and see. I did not look at a Paula Deen recipe. Thanks. I will replace crackers with bread.

      Delete
  2. I do like banana popsicles, but cherry and grape are my favorites.
    Most of my squash casseroles require the use of egg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      I have bananas and don't have cherry and grape...lol. So, my favorites might be what I have on hand. Cherry, strawberry, and banana might really be my favorites.
      I don't remember eggs in my squash casserole. But, I might try it.

      Delete
  3. We don't use a recipe for squash. Just sliced squash, cheese, butter, onion, salt, and pepper. Hubby puts it in a glass dish and microwaves it. I like it better in the oven, but whatever. We gave up putting crackers in to help his blood sugar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      That is my kind of recipe! Do you use buttered bread chunks? If I added chunks of buttered bread, that would be squash casserole. Oh, so you used crackers, I see. At this point, I will just do what I think I did, except putting much less bread. We were talking about dinner in the car. We have some leftover ground pork already cooked. I asked Tommy what he thought about putting the pork in the squash casserole. He said it sounded fine, so that's it.

      Delete
  4. I don't have TMJ issues but sourdough cuts up the roof of my mouth. I do love it, though!
    I'm way too addicted to smooth, sweet ice cream to eat yogurt popsicles but I take my hat off to you for going the healthy route!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      I have never had sourdough bother the roof of my mouth. But, this was very soft, somehow. I put a bit of yogurt in smoothies, so this was not too much different. I do love ice cream very much!

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...