Thursday, September 14, 2023

Groceries, Stainless Steel, Coughing

 I need to get better so I don't send Tommy into a grocery store. He comes out with too many snack foods, all very salty. Fritos, Doritos, potato chips. I would buy one bag for him when it was bogo. No, he gets both of them. He even bought two Ruffles for me, and I am trying to avoid salt. 

Last night, I managed to make a list from all three stores. Publix had the most deals. I did find green beans for $0.39/can. I had him buy one can to see if we liked them. It is a brand I have bought before. The use by date is 22 Nov 2023. Well, pooh! That is not very good. 

We got food we needed and was bogo, nothing else:

2 Doritos 2 for $10

Organic Baby Carrots  2 1-lb bags organic $3

3 half gallons a2milk @$4.99 not on sale

2 Jello pudding 2@$1.79

Kleenex 3 boxes for $5

Hall's Mentholyptus Cough Drops 2@$2.77

Honey Nut Cheerios 2for $5.46

Red potatoes 5lb for $3.49

pork tenderloin @for $8.99

on Wednesday we stopped at the farmer's market and bought squash. It was not small like I like, but reduced to $3, so less that the usual $5 and more squash. 

Spice Island spices are in glass containers. They were bogo, and the spices I needed are sold out. We got two rainchecks, one for the Spice Island and another for moon grapes. I just want a few to try.

I try to go shop before Thursday since some people do their weekly shopping on Thursday. But, he always assures me that there will be plenty for us. 

I had to send him back since he bought two pounds of baby carrots for $3.49 and not organic, just more expensive. Well, I did not send him. He asked if he should return, so I said to go. 

Earlier in the week, we bought four bananas. When I opened the first one, there were little black nodules all over the banana. I feared it was some banana bug. Maybe it was fungus. They looked the shape and almost the size of an apple seed. ALL FOUR BANANAS had these nodule-like growths. 

I was saving one piece of banana with the black things to return. All I had left was down in the main bag still in the garbage. We did get a refund and bought more bananas. We can afford to throw away four bananas. But, I refuse to do so. 

At the Pig a can of corn or green beans is free with the purchase of $10. I forgot what we will get tomorrow.

Coughing is all I do, it seems! I take guaifenesin for the congestion which facilitates loosening my chest. I do use my inhaler. I am exhausted!

The Hall's cough drops are already stuffed into a Ball quart jar to keep them from going soft and sticking to the little paper in which they are wrapped. Someone pointed out that vacuum sealing would be better. But, how handy is that for opening a dozen times? Plus, there are plenty of Ball jars in my possession, most bought on sale. I have thrown away a small fortune in cough drops over the years, yet I have not thrown away a cough drop in the last five years. 

We still use disposable tumblers even though we never use disposable plates, saucers, bowls or forks and spoons. The tumblers are the last things we need to replace. Glass is easily broken. Tommy has a set of smoke glasses that I hate and he does not want to break. Neither of us has the balance we had. So, I settled on stainless steel for drinking milk or whatever. They are expensive but will not be tossed. I had one stainless steel "glass" but it developed an "off" taste. Has anyone ever had that happen or know why mine did?

Tommy is happy he can watch Auburn on TV now that Disney and Spectrum are playing nice. I know he enjoys Auburn and Alabama and the Iron Bowl. So, we were going to figure out how to watch the Iron Bowl, at least. 

I am limp from coughing and typing at the same time, hoping for accuracy in my keystrokes. Tommy will heat our dinners--chicken for me and sausage patty for him, potatoes, carrots, green beans. He will take it all out of the refrigerator and I will fill my plate and heat it. Actually, some times he has filled my plate, heated it, and brought it to me. 

The heat is still here but not so brutal. Plus, the humidity is lower. Good deal! 

Does anyone have a theory as to why expensive stainless drinking vessel would develop an off taste?

Did you find any good deals this week?

8 comments:

  1. Those bananas sound so suspicious! I'm glad you disposed of them. Those black nodules could have been insect egg sacs or something disgusting like that.

    Did you wash the stainless steel tumbler in the dishwasher? Dishwasher soap can etch SS, so I would imagine it could also make the tumbler leach bad flavor into the drink.

    I like BPA-free plastic tumblers with screw-on lids. They can go in the dishwasher. And if you drop it, the lid prevents too much from sloshing out:
    https://www.joann.com/plastic-tumbler-with-straw---clear/18019364.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organicshopping

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      That is what I thought. What else could it be? I did end up doing that. And, that is why I think it tasted. I love drinking out of stainless steel because everything is so cold when put in stainless steel. I will look.

      Delete
  2. Whoops! The pointer I gave was to a tumbler that is NOT dishwasher safe! Sorry about that. There are plenty of that sort of tumbler that ARE dishwasher safe, if you're interested.

    I think I should just go to bed and hope for a better tomorrow. Hope you keep feeling better, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those beans will last much, much after the Nov. 2023 date. That is a fantastic price - I would have grabbed them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      But, it is prudent to check. The sale lasts a couple of days. I have several hundred cans already.

      Delete
  4. I think canned goods get an off metal taste when they are old. I do not like drinking out of stainless steel. I think it tastes funny. Wish you lived close I have way too much squash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      Some canned goods do have a metal taste when old. It is annoying. The stainless steel cup I had just made everything taste cold. Until the cup tasted funny. Maybe I should not have put it in the dishwasher. I would gladly take some of your squash if you just left it out for me. I don't require people to deliver...lol. well, this is too far for pickup or delivery.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...