Sunday, September 17, 2023

In Praise of Bodies

 Nothing happening Saturday, just me coughing.

Sunday is uneventful.

However, let me tell you about my people watching. My obsession with one aspect of people is something you might understand. I notice with keen interest how people walk so easily. I marvel that legs, knees, ankles all work together to make an easy transition from the street to the curb. I remember when I could do this. The change comes on so subtly. My lack of coordination and pain on movement has been a long time developing. 

Barely-walking babies have walking mastered. Some spry older people never struggle to walk or step on the curb. I suppose they have never had a significant injury. 

I imagine that none were thwarted getting adequate treatment by a workman's comp program that stopped all proper treatment. I will forever be resentful of workman's comp nurse who denied my treatment. I also imagine that a spouse was helpful in getting proper treatment. Yes, I have a lot of resentment when I actually think of my condition. 

But, mostly I admire the beautiful workings of a healthy body gliding along with ease, doing what a body was designed to do. I don't wish ill health or faulty working bodies on anyone. I just wish I had been so lucky. 

I won't entertain any Pollyanna attitudes or blaming me for my condition. 

These admirations of bodies have absolutely nothing sexual about them. I just marvel at the way we were made to work. The swinging of hips, the flexing of muscles, the swing of arms, all are just marvelous. No matter how well I take care of myself from now on, no matter how attentive doctors are to my condition, I will never have any of these actions restored to me. 

This post is not meant to be sad, but a praise of the beautiful workings of bodies. 

Do you ever watch bodies working perfectly and reflect on the mechanisms that come into play?





11 comments:

  1. I feel all of that because I have a genetic disease that sidelined me 6 years ago. I recently talked to a a lady who spent 7 years in a wheelchair due to MS and is walking and functioning normally now. That kind of gave me some hope .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lana,
      I know a woman who was diagnosed with MS. She recovered. Only, no one recovers from MS. It turned out that an artificial was the cause of MS-like symptoms. I hope you are one who "recovers" from MS! I can well imagine that you feel the same as I.

      Delete
  2. From a fairly young age I have appreciated the fortune of having a healthy body that allows me to do most of what I want to do, even though at times I may have wished I looked a bit different. (Taller, slimmer, etc.) I thank my mother. As a young teen, she overheard me complaining about my short legs and flat feet. She shut that down immediately by storming in and asking, "Do they get you where you want to go?" I thought the question was rhetorical but she pressed me with, "Well, do they?" When I responded with "Yes, but," she cut me off and said, "But nothing! They're in good working order, so we'll hear no more of that nonsense." Having recently supported my husband in his intense occupational, physical and speech therapy, I can say that physical mobility is nothing to take for granted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg,
      I was tall, slim, great arches and enough muscle to do what I needed to do. So, this condition or condition leaves me sad at my state. The only complaint I ever had was small bust. But, in the end that does not even matter.

      Delete
  3. Having limited mobility myself, I understand how you feel. I do what I can to improve my mobility, but I need both knees replaced, so for me unfortunately that is going to be a long time. I try not to let it get me down, but it’s not easy as I remember how easily I used to move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      Do you ever marvel at the way other bodies work? Why will it be a long time before you can have knees replaced?

      Delete
  4. I am amazed when I see people do things I cant: run up or down stairs, step easily up a kerb, adjust their gait to jump a puddle.
    I could do those things once but I never will again.
    And yes, they usually look so elegant and make it look easy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't people-watch ordinary folks and admire their grace, although I am sure some have it. I do admire dancers and professional atheletes for their physical prowess. And the folks from the Circ du Soleil and dance troupes like Pilobilus.

    I really used to enjoy the show "So You Think You Can Dance" until it got all weird and too feely and overdone. Seeing the contestants improve, hearing new music, and seeing the work of different choreographers was very entertaining and educational.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I was not talking about the grace of practiced professionals. The is the ordinary person with ordinary skills not marred by injury or overuse.

      Delete
    2. I know you were talking about ordinary persons. I did say I don't watch them--and then mentioned where I do notice physical grace. I guess that wasn't okay. Sorry.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...