Sunday, September 3, 2023

Juggling a Knife?

 After dinner on Saturday night, we cooked--four turkey thighs, 10 chicken thighs, potatoes, carrots in a cooking bag. I put a bit of Sweet Baby Ray's Vidalia Onion BBQ Sauce on each thigh. The bag was so full that I dumped the vegetables on top. Then, I bagged all into Ziploc Freezer bags. Some of the bags will go into the freezer tomorrow. So, lots of protein cooked for the future. I still have chicken tenderloins.

I did make potato salad for me to eat while Tommy eats the potatoes cooked with the meat. Of course, we love the carrots. The potato salad was some of the best I have made in a long time. I think the Vidalia onions helped, plus I did get eggs boiled and celery chopped. 

Following the directions on the site and from the minister, I failed to find the celebration of life for my friend on the church site. I have no idea what happened! That made me sad. It is probably going to be put up on the site with other events. 

Thursday night when I was slicing items for the zucchini tomato casserole, I must have cut my finger. On Friday morning, I awoke with a slice over 1 inch long on my right index finger on the top of the finger at the top of the finger near my hand. Mupiricin brought down the angry red around the cut. Now, it is back. I am terrified of having a finger amputated due to an infection. I may have to go to a doctor for this on Monday. Since I hold the knife in my right hand, I must have been juggling the knife.

Sunday

I slept for ten hours last night, waking at 4 pm on Sunday afternoon, still exhausted, my usual state lately. My finger is still inflamed but appears to be a bit better. 

I had cereal, banana, and milk for my breakfast at 5 pm. Dinner: Tommy will have chicken thighs with bbq sauce, baked potato, baked carrots and whatever else he finds. I will have the last of the chicken tenders (tiny one), carrots, potato salad. Maybe blueberries, too. 

The peaches are getting too ripe to leave and eat daily. I will cut them up after peeling. There are only four left. I need to freeze two dozen pork patties to store them in smaller packages. The cooked blueberries definitely need to go in the freezer. 

I froze the pork patties, leaving four in the refrigerator for him this week. Peaches are sliced, chicken frozen. 

I sent Tommy to the store for pimientos in the tiny jar but there were none, just a can of whole pimientos. I told him to get it. I have used whole pimientos before and just mashed them with a fork. Conchita pimiento in the can is nasty. I had to pull off the skins myself. The pimientos are tough. And, the taste wrong, AND they have salt. I managed to get enough chopped to make pimiento and cheese tomorrow and tossed the rest. These were packed in the US, but not sure where they were grown. I should have bought another dozen jars of when I went to Cullman! 

The touch of fall is still not in the air. Is the touch of fall in the air at your house?

Have you ever planted carrots so late?


10 comments:

  1. I wouldn't plant carrots this late where I live, but maybe in your area they will grow enough. Still very hot here.
    Sounds like lots of food prepped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      I think it will be hot enough long enough to get something edible.
      We did get a lot of food prepped. I told Tommy if I die, he should look in freezers.

      Delete
  2. 'touch off fall in the air' - never is any here. What helps is the position of the sun. "Libra Sun" I call it. Otherwise I wouldn't know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      I never heard of "Libra Sun." But, it aptly describes the situation.

      Delete
  3. You've been cooking up a storm lately. It's so great to have meals ready to go in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      I am just glad heat never makes this house even a bit warm. Having protein ready to eat keeps us from going out for a burger.

      Delete
  4. Our weather has turned a corner and become much cooler. Of course at this time of year you never know. Next week we could be in the high 90s again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,
      It happened here this week, higher temps and the humidity was suffocating when I went out about 8/

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...