Tuesday, September 5, 2023

New Can Opener.



 The can opener I brought here was good, but cheap. Finally, when neither of us could open a can with it, I bought an Oxo at Belk's. It is the kind that cuts the lid off at the side of the can. I never could work it, so Tommy cuts off lids. Well, two days ago it took both can openers to get the lid off a can of tuna. The lid is in shreds.

I ordered a new Oxo that like the one lost in the house. It works great. I hate electric can openers. The Oxo above just was delivered. I could have had any of those colors. I chose red even though pink would have been better for me. The other two can openers sort of work. I am torn as to whether to keep them as a backup or give away. The Oxo that cuts off the lid is still good but a pain to use. 

The blueberries are in the freezer--three pints. I should have put them in half-pint jars but did not. There is another bowl with about a cup for use now. About a half cup a day has been my delicious treat. Tommy says they are not sweet enough for him to eat. Of course, I put little sugar in the five pounds of blueberries. I told him I can sweeten them more for him.

We took out a bag of chicken tenders for me to have for lunches and dinners for the next few days. 

We took five bags of some sort of bread from the freezer to get the blueberries, pork patties, and all the thighs into the freezer. Tomorrow, a friend is coming over to get a turkey out of the very bottom. Another day, when he is off, he will come and take all the items out and help us sort them into bins. So, that is a plan. 

He took out two bags of hotdog buns. He said there are hotdogs and the chili without beans. So, it looks like we will have two meals of hotdogs/chili/cheese. I can mix up slaw for that meal.

We went out for bananas at 8 and the air was so humid it hurt to breath it in. I had not had a banana all days and really wanted/needed one. Why do I need it? I love them and eat one every day. 

Do you have a fruit you "need" to eat every day for the pleasure or your health?

Is it hot and humid at your house?

What kind of can opener do you use? 

8 comments:

  1. I have one of the Farberwear battery operated can openers that sits on top of the can and opens it with no sharp edges. I just bought it a few months ago to replace one of ours that was shredding lids like you mentioned.

    We just finished the last of the blueberries in our freezer yesterday. They were the Great Value brand and they were a little bitter too. I’ll replace them today with a different brand. I like to eat them everyday along with four walnut halves for good brain food.

    The hotdogs/chili sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      I have always wondered how easy it is to clean one of that type. A shredded can is ridiculous and dangerous.
      I forgot the brand of these, nothing I have ever seen. I need brain food.

      Delete
  2. My hand held can opener is black and says OXO on it. It works fine. I like to have a banana every day, too. I say get rid of the old can openers to reduce clutter. I have 2 of the very old fashioned can openers that we used to use, as back up, in my utensil drawer. It's hot and humid here, too, but I don't go outside very much so I don't really care what the weather is unless it's threatening to life or property.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole,
      Those can openers are good for nothing. I hate to toss the Oxo, but after I saw the mangled can, I was afraid to keep it. I don't go out either. A threat is all that moves me to even be interested these days...lol.

      Delete
  3. I have lost a lot of hand strength. During the last few years have tried several different types of hand-held openers, they were all difficult for me. I also tried 2 of the battery powered ones. They each only lasted a couple of months, although my daughter has been using hers for more than 6 years! I ended up buying a countertop electric one. It works just fine! In my other house I had an under counter electric opener. I really liked it. The cutting blade was removable so that I was able to take it to the sink to clean. I do not have any upper cabinets in this house. These newer ones never actually touch the contents of the cans. The one I have just opens the seam between the body and top of the can.

    I have the others stored in a box of emergency foods. Many years ago I read an article that told of someone who had boxed up a lot of foods incase of an emergency but had forgotten a can opener. That is not going to happen to me! I also have supplies out in the camper. We will be okay during a short emergency.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janet,
    I have lost hand strength, too. The Oxo I lost was the best ever, just black and just like this one. I hated electric ones because they seemed to be so nasty.
    Tommy said the other Oxo separates the can at the seam. I cannot see it, but he says that is what it does. Well, last time it just shredded the can when it did not work and he tried the regular can opener, the black Oxo. So, we will toss the older of the two, keeping the black Oxo.
    I have heard that a person needs an extra can opener with supplies. I had two in Cullman. Now, I need to get another for here. Since all supplies are in the house, I have the can opener only in the house. We will not be going anywhere since leaving with supplies would be impossible. I am glad you are prepared!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am okay with a can opener opening the can at the seam UNLESS I am opening a can of tuna. I want to be able to press the fluid out and this is not possible if the seam is opened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,
      I use a little can colander. It is small enough to fit in a tuna can. I just press the round side into the can and the tuna is pressed down and the juice can be emptied. If I have a can of beans, I place the colander/strainer over the can and turn it over. I love this contraption. This way, it does not matter how the lid comes off. But, from now on, the lid will be cut just like you like it.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...