Thursday, September 28, 2023

This and That

 Wednesday night, after dinner, we cooked the pork loin, bag of Brussels sprouts, bag of cauliflower, bag of broccoli. I could not get all the vegetables out of the pan because of my back, so Tommy did that. I cooked kale. The frozen strawberries were whole, so he chopped them because of the standing. 

I was going to put them in pint jars, but lost my mojo. So, he put them back into the refrigerator. I always warn him to put any frozen item in a plastic bag to thaw or put the bag in a bowl or on a baking sheet. We do have tiny ones. Well, I showed him why. He always objects, saying it is a plastic bag anyway. There was strawberry juice all in the plastic bag. 

I took all the dishes from their boxes and made a few discoveries. None of the dinner plates were the monarch butterfly plate. They were all Flutter/bird plates. So, it appears that I have 8 plates to sell. And, it's okay. I can get more from them than the cost of both boxes of Butterfly Meadow. Quite frankly, these were my least favorite pattern. 

While sitting in the car on Wednesday, I made two phone calls on my list. I also marked off a few things that we no longer need to do. Of course, I added more phone calls and a few more items to do. Does it ever end? 

A couple of days ago when I decided Tommy could brown the flour for gravy, I told him. He said, "I do an awful lot of stuff around here already!" He sounded a bit peeved but did not say NO. Today, I reminded him of the statement. I told him that is what women go through their whole lives. He said, "Yes, but when I retired, I did not want to do stuff."  "Oh, you wanted to just stagnate?" "Yes, I want to stagnate." So, he knows he will make gravy for me. Actually, he is just browning the flour. The rest I will do. 

I was going to make a pumpkin without a crust and in a casserole. He objected, saying he wants a crust. So, I will make one with a crust and the other will not have a crust. I will start talking about green bean casserole so he will be happy when he browns flour. 

There is a new time-saver in place. I like potatoes with skin and he prefers them skinless. Now, I have him peel half of the potatoes. He is happy to have his chore lightened...lol. Then, I remove the eyes and slice the potatoes in half. 

While I was sitting in the car in front of Macy's, a woman came walking by--blue dress, hot pink purse, pearl necklace, updo, AND black, fuzzy house slippers. She is my hero. Now, I want black fuzzy slippers to wear out. And, I am not kidding or mocking her. Of course, I will need to get pearls and an updo to pull off the black, fuzzy, house slippers in an upscale store like Macy's. I think it has been twenty years since I was in there. 

A man from California wanted me to wear a certain perfume because he loved it. Now, we had never met and never would. He sent me the cologne without even mentioning it to me. So, I took it to Macy's to get something else. No problem for them. A guy I dated briefly and tragically took me, and his teen daughter came along. 

I got a pair of pretty earrings and had about $2.35 left over and on a gift card. I stopped for one of the over-priced boxes of candy that were $5 for 4 pieces of candy, essentially four bites. His daughter was appalled that anyone would spend that much money for so little candy. She kept talking about it even though I kept telling her I was not coming back to Macy's to spend a few dollars on something. I don't think she ever got it. Twenty years before, I did shop there and judiciously and on clearance. 

Speaking of candy, all the stores have Halloween candy on display. I had no Halloween candy last year and planned on eating none this year. One day, when Tommy shopped, he came in, put the groceries in the refrigerator and came back in the living room with one bag. He pulled out a small bag of Brach's candy corn and put it down by me. He said he remembered how much I like it. This was the first of September. I put it down and he sat down with a huge bag of chips. He said he remembered how much I said I like candy corn. 

Four or five days later, he asked me if I finished the candy corn. "No." "Can I have some of it?" I tossed it to him and he was surprised I had not opened it. A few days later, I asked him where it was. He ATE IT ALL. It was certainly okay with me. But, he has never done anything like that before. Someone put a spell on me so I don't buy candy corn! Please!

Onto Thursday

During the five hours, maybe four, that I slept, I slept fitfully. It was hard to go to sleep since I got up twice an hour to go to the bathroom. It had nothing to do with what I drank. My stomach hurt from lack of pill taken for my stomach. My feet were cold from a breeze. Don't ask me where was that breeze. I have no idea. 

I think I woke about 1 pm and soon discovered Belk's had a sale on something I want and had them in store or online, pickup or delivery. I decided I was going to get them in person. We left soon. 

Tommy went into Belk's with details from internet, a check from Belk's sent to me for cc perks, a store gift card, and my cc for Belk's. He came back with 8 gifts, cleaning out this category, and a diamond bracelet worth $225 for $49.32. I am happy with 9 gifts for some gift-giving occasion. It is done and cheaply done. Of course, the diamonds are just diamond dust--1/10th carat. So, nine gifts for $93.32. 

I was utterly drained before we left. My gastrointestinal tract was so unhappy and in pain. I wanted to throw up, too. But, I managed. My chest was throbbing, face tingling. It was a horrible feeling, and the vibration of the car did not help. 

Chicken Salad Chick was next. I could eat it or bring it home, whatever my body dictated. We sat in the car and ate the soup, saving the salad for home. I ordered potato soup and Classic Carol scoop of chicken salad. Tommy ordered Chicken and Dumplings ad chicken salad with lots of pineapple in it. So, that was one of the meals I wanted for my birthday. 

My only goal tonight is to make slaw and eat that to hike my vegetable intake. Tuna salad at lunch was chock full of celery. Tommy washed the Styrofoam takeout plates and is watering the flowers. The weather was hot today. I need to find some black, fuzzy house slippers for later to wear going out. 

My goal for later is to find something to watch on tv or take a nap. Hopefully, I can sleep better tonight. Plus, my innards need to settle down! 

My plan is usually to make a gift. For a few years that plan has changed. I buy deep discount or clearance and still buy nice gifts. These are for Christmas or during the year. I did have a big gift drawer, so maybe I will stock up once again. 

My best friend's favorite gift was food--deviled eggs, chocolate pound cake, all sorts of things he could not make. I always gave him a huge bag of food, frozen food, jellies. He was a happy man for days. I even decorated a tiny Christmas tree for him.

A three-hour nap left me feeling more rested.

Are you buying things on sale for Christmas yet? Have you finished your shopping? Or, are you smart and ambitious and able to make gifts still? Do you make food for gifts? 


16 comments:

  1. Everyone is getting cash as they pool what cash they get and go shopping the day after Christmas...I personally would never do it even though both my parents would go also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      I used to go shopping the day after Christmas--no more and never, ever again. Money is good and it adds up if a person wants to go shopping.

      Delete
    2. Chef I used to beg my mother for money for Christmas. She said it seemed wrong to just get an envelope with cash and no gift to unwrap. Telling her that the money would buy 2 or even 3 times more stuff (and much-need stuff, not frivolous garbage) the day after Christmas didn't sway her. Sigh. I would have had so much fun doing it, squeezing every drop out of those dollars.

      Delete
  2. I’ve started shopping for Christmas when I find things on sale or on clearance. It will be good to have when the time comes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      It works out that way when you don't have to go out and shop when the time comes. It is my favorite way to shop.

      Delete
  3. I pretty much stick with food type gifts. Specialty items and home made. Figure everyone has to eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      That is an excellent idea! My sil made candy for us and apologized for not being able to afford gifts. I assured her we never got homemade candy as I did not make that kind of stuff.

      Delete
  4. So you got your Chicken Salad Chick birthday lunch! That's wonderful! It's cold and rainy here; I could use a cup of that potato soup! I'd eat it for breakfast, even.

    Surprisingly, I have been buying a few Christmas gifts here and there. I am not usually one to shop early, because I am always afraid that the recipient will buy it themselves or get something like it.

    For example, I found a Voluspa "12 Days of Christmas" votive candle set on sale.

    (Not an Advent Calendar mind you--although they seem to sell them as such and insinuate you can access a treat every 2 days instead of every day, like a proper Advent calendar.)

    In my family, I've always made a big deal about the 12 Days of Christmas, from Dec 25 to Jan 6 (Feast of the Epiphany) and celebrating the SEASON of Christmas, not just the one day. So I thought DD would enjoy this candle set.

    So OF COURSE she texted me this week, saying that she and her fiance just went to Bath & Bodyworks sale and bought a ton of candles! OF COURSE. So what I always fear will happen DID happen!

    Now I'm wondering if I should even burden her with them, given that she's stocked up for the rest of the year and beyond. I could gift them to someone else, I'm sure.

    Or I could keep them for myself, hah! The box smells AMAZING.

    I was thinking I should make boxes of Christmas cookies to send to my siblings. But almost all of them are on diets or struggling with health issues. I'm not sure cookies would be a kindness...

    Not to brag, but I had 8 full hours of uninterrupted sleep last night. I literally cannot remember the last time that happened! It's been decades, truly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I still am getting Five Guys and Dreamland to complete my birthday eating. I would eat that potato soup any time of the day. It is wonderful.
      I don't know what I would do with the candles. That is a conundrum. If you use them, keeping them would be great. But, she may have bought you a set, too...lol.
      Oh, you know I brag about good sleep. It is something I am proud to accomplish. That said, I did not get good sleep last night, maybe only four hours!

      Delete

  5. PS: Good job on not eating that candy corn! Don't buy it, don't munch it. Your body will thank you. Says the woman who just polished off a hob nob cookie with a cup of coffee...LOL!!!
    Advice is SO easy to give! Taking it? Eh, not so much. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I was proud of me, too. I know that I too often eat what I should not, so understand.

      Delete
  6. My FIL's favorite gift (his birthday and fathers day) was always when I made him a loaf of banana bread

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      Once I started making chocolate pound cake, Daddy started requesting it. That was the best gift he could get at Christmas. He hated icing, so this was perfect for him.

      Delete
  7. Someone eating my candy corn would evoke ructions or worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      I only will miss it at Halloween. He does know better than to eat my chocolate!

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...