Thursday, September 7, 2023

Thursday Happenings--not much

 I have felt a bit better tonight. I only had about 3 hours sleep last night and then 2 this afternoon. 

The Conchita pimientos will not get my seal of approval. It is bitter and nasty. I think being in a can is why it is bitter. However, once in pimiento and cheese, it was better, tolerable. Miracle Whip saved the taste. 

Today, I had a can of Diet Free Decaffeinated Coke that had been the house two days and in the refrierator for two days. It was flat. I had Tommy taste it and he declared it flat, too. This happens once in a while, not sure how a sealed can of Coke can be flat after being open for thirty seconds. 

Tommy improved the kitchen. The drawer for utensils has an holder that slides back into the drawer continually. I am not going to buy the liner to keep it where it belongs. So, I asked him to take on of the Planter's Peanut jars, tall and skinny, and place it at the back of the drawer. It works really well. So, I no longer have to keep pulling the drawer further out to get the utensil I want. I am so happy. 

Since I have been decluttering the counter between the sink and microwave. I took out two cups from the back near the microwave. My favorite hot chocolate cup had the handle broken in two pieces and in the cup. Did I forget about this? How did it get broken? Did Tommy do it? Who knows? But, it went straight into the trash. The other cup was a dish to eat soup, wide and with a handle. It is in the dishwasher. I have no idea why these were on the counter. But, they are not now. How is that for decluttering?!

Kraft Medium Cheddar Cheese Chunks were $1.80 + 10% at the Pig. So, I had Tommy go in and get two, making it $1.98 each. He came back and said that there were only 6 on the shelf, so he got all six. Why? He was already complaining that we have too much cheese. Well, we have plenty now. 

We went to Publix for his milk, my milk, bananas, and bread. 

In a few minutes, I will start freezing two slices of bread at a time, placing them in a freezer bag for the freezer. I did this years ago. Someone reminded me of this, so I will do this so as not to have bread get moldy. 

Dinner: Tommy had chicken thigh, salad, corn. I had last two hotdogs, salad, green beans. 

Did you ever keep something broken for no reason and discover it later? 

Does your utensil tray slide around in the drawer, making it difficult to reach a spoon?

12 comments:

  1. No such thing as too much cheese!!!!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      Well, I do agree with that sentiment. However, what happened to 'just get two'? I just let it go...lol.

      Delete
  2. Recently I pulled out my drawer in the bathroom a little too far and the entire contents plus the drawer itself crashed onto the floor. This happened as I was on my way to bed so I just stepped around it and left it to be dealt with in the morning. Next morning I sorted all the contents back into the trays they belonged in but discovered that the side of the drawer had broken. My son was able to repair it but because it had particle board sides he had to do some extra reinforcing that caused the drawer to want to catch and not slide smoothly.

    I put up with the sticky drawer for a couple of days then decided to trade out the drawer with the one on John's side of the sink. This was a good idea and had an extra bonus benefit!

    As his illness progressed John lost a lot of weight. So much that his wedding ring would fall off when showering. We put the ring in his drawer. After his death I would see his ring every time I opened his drawer. I decided to put it away safely because I felt it was basically in plain sight if a burglar were to come in. A few months later I decided that I would put his & my ring together on a heavy gold chain that I have. I could not find his ring anywhere! I tore this place apart! I cleaned out drawers I peeked in all my hidey holes to no avail. I had hidden it away so well that I couldn't find it. By now you have probably guessed that the ring was in the very back corner of his drawer! I was delighted to locate it. I am wearing in on that gold chain but I decided that I am not ready to remove mine from my finger. I have worn it for so many years that my finger feels wrong without it. I may remove it at some place down the road although I may need help getting it off. Arthritis has caused my knuckles to enlarge so much that removal it is very difficult.

    One more thought. You may remember that last Spring I attended a 10 week widow & widower grief group. On about the third session we discussed wedding rings. Not a single one of us (12 women) had taken the step to remove their rings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing like hiding things so well that you cannot find it. I laughed. At least you had an extra drawer!

      I wondered why you would put your ring on the chain. Don't leave the ring on so long it won't come off. I am not surprised that women did not take off their wedding rings. So, what you did was so normal. I wore my solitaire until I found out it was a fake, then I took it off and good riddance.

      Delete
  3. If I may make another comment. I am also trying to declutter. I have 3 high school friends coming to stay with me next month. Our class is having a 55 year reunion Luncheon. I need to get all my extra bedding out of the vacuum storage cubes and give them a fresh wash. I discovered way too many old pillows and several old down comforters. They are in the donate pile! I am also donating all my dressy shoes. I don't think I will ever be wearing high heels again. Next cleanout will be the game closet. Almost all my grandchildren are grown up and have moved away.

    You may remember that I have Fiesta Ware dishes. Yes, they are heavy but I am not ready to part with them just yet. Today I am changing out the Summer colors and going with Halloween colors. In Nov I will transition into more Autumn-y colors. I do need to sell or give away much of my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought milk and bananas yesterday and thought of you. Silly right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      Well, it does seem like all I buy is milk and bananas. Not so silly.

      Delete
  5. I have no patience for clutter, so I would never keep anything broken without a definitive plan for getting it repaired. I believe it is far easier to prevent clutter than clear clutter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg,
      I certainly had no plan for a mug with a handle broken into two pieces. So, I am wondering what I was thinking or did I even know it. The clutter on the counter was not prevented.

      Delete
  6. Dinner sounds good.
    Our weather has been hot we enjoyed a salad.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. It seems a continuous effort to rid the place of broken objects I thought were gone.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...