Thursday, August 3, 2023

Racism and Watermelons

When I wrote the post "The Only Black Man on the Planet," I wrote two lines that several people seemed to think made me a racist.

      "Then, he laughed and said he was allergic to watermelon to which I gasped. He said, "Yes. I am the        only black man on the planet who is allergic to watermelon."  Funny guy!" 

This was the only thing written in the post!

I was falsely accused of calling people names. No, I never called anyone a name. If so, where? The post:

"Only Black Man on the Planet..." Read Kylie's comment and mine to her.

Kylie made a comment that she took a black man/white woman family fried chicken and a watermelon. I cringed. But, she was innocent because she is in Australia. The black man was from the US. 

For my readers from other continents and maybe some northerners, it is a racist idea that Blacks are inordinately in love with fried chicken and watermelon. The watermelon has been used to ridicule Blacks since Reconstruction. Reconstruction started after the Civil War. Quite frankly, I think everyone in the South of the US loves fried chicken and watermelon. I do. However, for my health's sake, I don't eat the amount of fried chicken I would like to eat. 

Instead of putting 40 Links here, I will give you a link to a webpage full of links, all respected sites. Learn the truth if you do not know it. And, the next time you accuse someone, have a good reason, proof.

LINKS TO RACISM AND WATERMELON 

Black Woman Fears Eating Watermelon

Fried Chicken and Watermelon video

VIDEO

Before, when I looked up images, I found a site with page after page of watermelon images, blacks eating or with watermelon. Images I could not find the original page I found.

Are you aware of this trope? And, where are you or from originally, the place you would have learned or not learned about this racist trope?



10 comments:

  1. I’m aware of this and I like fried chicken and watermelon too. 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      I was sure you were aware and several others, too. Can you imagine being self-conscious eating it?

      Delete
  2. I think this is pure garbage. The article was garbage and very racist (the one about Black Woman Fears Eating Watermelon). But there lies the issue...reverse discrimination is fine. Every southerner I know loves fried chicken and watermelon! Since when is food racist? Cajuns love cajun food. I love Mexican food. Racism comes from your own heart. The author of that article was dealing with her own stereotyping racism. But she would never admit that. Of course, I'm "privileged" just because I was born white. Some people know very little about the rest of us. This country has imploded from ignorance. Just look at the whitehouse. And we could go on and on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie,
      I can only assume that the rest of my readers agree with you, that whites are the ones being bullied.

      Delete
    2. Well, I certainly don't agree with Debbie.

      Delete
  3. I remember this. I just thought everyone loves watermelon and when there are a big bunch of kids, a watermelon will be appreciated.
    I never knew it was a racist trope.
    Then there was the time I took Guinness to a friends barbecue and they hate Guinness.
    I gave my daughter in law a plant that is toxic to cats (they have two cats)
    Maybe i'll stop giving gifts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      Well, this is the time when money is perfect. I wonder how many of us were just oblivious to what we were doing when we give things to others. Thanks for responding.

      Delete
  4. I am aware of the history of how watermelon is associated negatively with AA. It is a fascinating if painful story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      Thanks for acknowledging this bully tactic against Blacks. Some places AA is not acceptable and the people want to be referred to as Black. I have to be careful how I speak.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...